We decided on a last minute trip to Durban to soak up some winter sun. Got a great half price deal on booking.com. Reservation was confirmed same day and details were sent promptly. I enquired about spa bookings, based on reviews, but they were full. However the hotel called as promised when a cancellation was received.
Check in was simple enough. My husband had to help carry the bags, which we don't mind. However it's a 5 star hotel so I expected a porter. He eventually turned up while we were checking in, but the walk to reception is steep. Note, this hotel is not friendly to physically disabled persons..at all!
We were booked into the vladekyn suite, named after the previous owner. It was cosy and suited our needs. Lovely balcony with view of tree tops. Bathroom is open plan to bedroom, only the toilet is closed off. So if you are shy to get naked in front of your partner, best find another hotel. Wish they'd put a wash basin in the toilet to wash your hands. Getting up at night to use the bathroom and then having to wash hands in bedroom is a pain and disturbance. The staff used an entrance 5 meters from bedroom door and they were noisy at night. Banging doors woke me thrice on night one. Got drunk on night two to avoid sleep interruption. The suites are pretty sound proof so you don't hear others talking, but the guests above us insisted on walking in high heels late at night. Made me aware to remove mine when we entered the house. Turn down service with delicious chocs and marshmallows.
Pool and gardens are beautiful although we didn't use. Tea and coffee making facilities outside of room and available all day. Also muffins and treats left over from breakfast available all day. Honesty bar is expensive but which hotel isn't. Complimentary sherry and port with nuts was nice. Interesting books in lounge area if you get bored....or just love reading! Free, very good wifi throughout.
My husband and I both had spa treatments. Due to time availability I did an express facial and massage. Was okay, nothing memorable. Camilla did a better job of trying to sell products than getting stuck into my massage, which I requested at a hard pressure level, and got medium at best. There's another therapist who did my waxing the previous day and she did a great job. Hotel should think about offering massages in rooms.
Breakfast was amazing! The staff are phenomenal and the food is freshly prepared and tastes great. There's a little menu everyday but they are happy to make if nothing suits your tastes. I read about the breakfast tart and they had it the one day. I nearly swiped the entire tart to take home! It's a must try, don't pass it by!
Hotel arranged dinner on our second night on my request. The restaurant was good. We had been there before but got a great table and used the car service so we could both drink without having to drive. The restaurant didn't have the hotels details when we requested they be called to pick us up. The driver insisted we should just ask, but there was some confusion. So take the hotels number with you....just in case.
No sea view rooms, except rooms on top floor. Didn't get to see for myself though. Have stayed in other establishments at same price point in Umhlanga with magnificent views.
Beautiful establishment with wonderful staff. Attention to detail in rooms is great too, but expected of a 5 star establishment. Would return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the heart of Umhlanga, and walking distance from the beach, lies Teremok Marine, an award-winning five-star boutique lodge and spa. All eight suites are uniquely designed and boast extra-length beds, air-conditioning, private balconies, showers, baths, double basins and separate toilets with bidets. Extras include LCD screens and DVD players, iPod docking stations, and complimentary ADSL internet in every room. Teremok also has a Spa facility, gym and pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Teremok Marine reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Teremok Marine Hotel Umhlanga Rocks
- Teremok Hotel Umhlanga Rocks