“Very nice stay!”
Review of Villa Calla

Villa Calla
Ranked #24 of 43 Umhlanga Rocks B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 May 2012

This bed and breakfast is very nice. first it is located in Umhlanga, which is on of the nicest neighborhoods around, 10 minutes walk to an amazing beach and to plenty of restaurants and cafes (on Chartwell drive)
the place itself is lovely, i loved all the small hotel-like touches (miniature shampoo, shower gel, body cream, soap), laundry bag in the closet, shower robes, welcome chocolates on the pillow :)
breakfast was good. It has a lovely pool, garden and braai area.
they also have free wifi.
the owner, Janelle, is really welcoming, friendly and lovely.
the only downside for me though, is that the rooms are not very well insulated. we were rather shocked when we were told that some people complained about us being noisy, as we're not the loud type at all! and just the day after, i could hear, from our room, people walking up and down the corridor, keys turning and doors opening and closing, sounds in the kitchen, the clatter of dishes and silverware, people talking, the phone ringing in the reception..., which is fine by me, but this shows that the rooms need better insulation!
and those old keys and locks could really use some renovation!
but other than that, it was a very pleasant stay :)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DZohni
There are newer reviews for Villa Calla

Reviewed 27 March 2012

In a pleasant part of town, easy & safe to walk to the beach & some great bars and restaurants. Well appointed b&b with friendly owner. Good breakfasts. Nice quiet garden & pool to chill out. Good value. Gay friendly.

If you are staying in Durban, seriously consider staying in Umhlanga - its a happier & safer place to be & easy to get in to town by car or taxi. Our time here was much nicer than when we stayed in Durban.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I chose Villa Calla, after a family member recommended it for its "amazing place", access & proximity to shops, the beach & all amenities & it looked great on the website. I used to live in Umhlanga but had never been to Villa Calla..It was EVERYTHING I was told it was. Janelle(a superb & warm owner),her husband Calla & their team were nothing short of a really warm welcome, helpful, a beautifully appointed room & superb breakfasts. It was a fantastic 10 days & I would recommend it to anyone visiting Umhlanga. Thank you one & all at Villa Calla.

Room Tip: I was in room 4, at the end of the passage. Large, well appointed and quiet with access to the garde...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 May 2011

Villa Calla is in an excellent position for walking access to the town and driving access to major routes.
Janelle is a wonderful hostess who looked after us extremely well. The rooms with separate access to the very attractive garden and pool are airy and well equipped. Good to have air conditioning as it was hot & humid during our stay.
Breakfasts are generous with a lovely selection of delicious things to eat.
Pool area very attractive and beautifully maintained as was every area of the B & B.
A must if we come back to this area. Perfect!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gillandhugh
Reviewed 19 March 2011

Our stay in Villa Calla with Janelle and her team was just the highlight of our trip in SA. Its great place to stay,breakfast food great,rooms nicely air conditioned and just a short walk from the sea.
If your staying just out of Durban try this place, you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2010

Our stay in Villa Calla with Janelle and her team was just the highlight of accomodations in our 3 week trip through SA!!!
Situated in a calm and very nice side street, this is the place to stay. Beautifully furnished rooms, great breakfast, silence and last but not least - lovely and very helpful hosts who did virtually everything to feel comfortable and make our stay remembered for a very long time.
Excellent value for money, too.

Janelle, thanks a lot for these 3 days, we hope to be back soon,
Mandy & Nico
Frankfurt/Germany.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2010

This was my very first trip to South Africa and it was very memorable for me! There were many reasons why I wanted it to be the "trip of my lifetime" and it was!!! The positive aspects of this B&B started before I left SF. I only decided to take this trip 2 weeks before I went -so when the Hostess and owner responded quickly to my email questions about the availablility of a single room and desire for a quick trip to a Game Reserve - with timely and clear answers and a guided tour I was relieved and thankful. I guess the uniqueness of this B&B was the friendliness, warmth and love that you feel from the hostess, staff and other guests while you are staying there- you were part of the "family". The owner continued to be helpful with travel and dining suggestions only when and if you wanted advice. A walk to the beach (3 blocks) and back followed by an excellent breakfast was a delightful way to start your day. The rates for a room were affordable, and they were private and clean and filled with all the necessities. The "common " room with books, tv, pool and available drinks helped me feel " at home". It was very hard to leave this cozy, comfortable "home" in a faraway land , I have promised myself -I will be back!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple