“HEAVEN!”

Ranked #23 of 43 Umhlanga Rocks B&B and Inns
San Anselmo
“HEAVEN!”
Reviewed 20 November 2010

This was my very first trip to South Africa and it was very memorable for me! There were many reasons why I wanted it to be the "trip of my lifetime" and it was!!! The positive aspects of this B&B started before I left SF. I only decided to take this trip 2 weeks before I went -so when the Hostess and owner responded quickly to my email questions about the availablility of a single room and desire for a quick trip to a Game Reserve - with timely and clear answers and a guided tour I was relieved and thankful. I guess the uniqueness of this B&B was the friendliness, warmth and love that you feel from the hostess, staff and other guests while you are staying there- you were part of the "family". The owner continued to be helpful with travel and dining suggestions only when and if you wanted advice. A walk to the beach (3 blocks) and back followed by an excellent breakfast was a delightful way to start your day. The rates for a room were affordable, and they were private and clean and filled with all the necessities. The "common " room with books, tv, pool and available drinks helped me feel " at home". It was very hard to leave this cozy, comfortable "home" in a faraway land , I have promised myself -I will be back!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 November 2010

A great welcoming hostess owner (Janelle), competent staff and great breakfasts in a well kept comfortable B & B in a very convenient location close to the local amenties. Excellent advice and help on what to do and help in arranging an excursion to the nearby game reserve. Comfortable room with reliable and free internet access. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Harpenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2010

Janelle was extremely friendly when we arrived to check Villa Calla out. We were on a driving tour round South Africa and because we didnt know when we would be arriving in each place we didnt book in advance. Janelle was very accommodating allowing us to look at a room and show us around without pressuring us to commit to staying. We left to go and check out some more guesthouses down the road but after seeing two decided not to waste any more time and head back to Villa Calla to secure the room. Price seemed to be very competitive compare to a number of the other guesthouses in the area. Breakfast was lovely and pool looked like it would have been great if the weather had been a touch warmer!

Janelle even arranged for an early breakfast for us on the day we were leaving as our flight was an early one to Cape Town.

Interesting comments from others below and I wouldn't agree with any of them. Yes you can here the staff preparing breakfast in the morning a little but they are doing that for you to enjoy a nice breakfast which is included in the price! Just get up and go out and enjoy all that South Africa has to offer!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 6 September 2010

Very noisy establishment on a busy road, staff do not keep quiet, loud when speaking on the phone, as well as when watching tv. Rather rude staff especially owners. Totally overpriced, definately not value for money. Good location pity about the people.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 14 July 2010

With excitement and joy brimming over in our minds for the World Cup, we travelled down the enchanting Stanley Grace Cresent and arrived at the beautiful Villa Calla. This was the start of our World Cup tour and it could not have been better thanks to the Management and staff and residence of Villa Calla. Immediately on arrival, we were greeted with open arms and welcoming smiles by Lynette (the Manageress at Villa Calla), Carl (the owner's son of the Villa) and not forgetting Fritz the dachshund. We were soon to experience we had made a top choice for our stay in Durban for the first 8 nights of our month long tour through South Africa.
The effort made by Lynette and Carl to make us feel at home and ensure our every need was catered for was notable. The rooms were extremely clean and well appointed and the garden with the cleanest and largest pool we encountered on our tour were thoroughly enjoyed on the hot sunny mornings before the football action occurred in the afternoon. The level of attention to detail and interest shown to the customer by Lynette was excellent and Carl ensured we were aware of all the facilities and services on offer at Villa Calla. Also the calibre of the other guests was high and we met some great people whilst staying here.
As we enjoyed our stay so much, we decided with no hesitation to return to Villa Calla for the Semi Final game in Durban. A heartfelt thanks Lynette and Carl - you made our stays with you so pleasant and good fun along the way. Anyone thinking of staying in Durban and the beautiful Umhlanga Rocks, please have a look at Villa Calla. A real credit to such nice people in a great country which is South Africa.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rpt1999
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 28 June 2010

We stayed 4 nights there during our trip to the World Cup

The price was really expensive, 2800 Rand per night ! Guesthouses and B&Bs are the real winners of this World Cup (and visitors are all poor now...it's a shame)

On top of that I lost 2 nights because I had to pay the full price a long time before our arrival in South Africa, and when I decided later a trip to the Hluhluwe reserve of course the management did not agree to give me my money back for the 2 nights. Given the "rip off" price that I paid I think that they could have been more understanding.

The room was fine, with a nice bed, but noisy as you could hear everyone talking outside the room, even the lady speaking at the reception desk and the telephone ringing... It is impossible to sleep after 7-8 in the morning when the employees start preparing breakfast, you hear voices and dishes tinkling

One night, some people came back drunk at midnight and partied until 2am speaking loud, laughing, and we could hear music playing and dishes clinging (that is why I think it was employees, but I am not sure)

The keys of the room are really old fashioned, very big and it is impossible not to make noise when you unlock the door

The lady that welcomed us was very nice though, she helped us with our car rental and even gave us a ride to the car rental office

But she was hardly ever there so during our stay we never had a chance to ask her the wireless internet code when we came back in the afternoon

We did not find any hairdryer in the room, even though it was specified on their website

The TV was really small, no flat screen, and very badly located in the room (my neck hurt a lot as I had to turn to the left to see the screen from the bed) but it had satellite channels so that we could follow the world cup matches

Location was OK even though if you don't have a car you have to walk in a dark street to get to the centre of Umhlanga

I would not recommend this B&B because of the noise, and because of the price we had to pay

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Chatham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2010

from the moment we were welcomed into this lovely B&B we were relaxed and comfortable. The close proximity and safety of the local shops/restaurants enabled us to walk out in the evening without too much worry.

Janelle and staff were most helpful with any requests and the stay there was superb. We were made to feel like one of the family.

Thoroughly recommended.