“Great long weekend”

Khotso Adventure Farm
Durban, South Africa
“Great long weekend”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We spent 3 great nights here in this beautiful place. It's a little rustic but it makes for an ideal getaway from the city. Pack your mountain bike. There is some fantastic cycling to be had around here.

Room Tip: The loft has wooden floors which make a lot of noise for the bedroom below. Take your own heater in...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed 7 May 2013

A rustic place, beautifully situated in the Drakensberg mountains. I only spent a night here, so I couldn't enjoy the horse trails offered. The evening was very enjoyable sitting at a roaring fire with a cold drink in hand.
The place was very clean, the staff very friendly (I hope you found your way to Lesotho easily, Steve!) and the food was delicious. I should also mention that there is a natural spring nearby and that water is bottled on location and is very good!
I would definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank mypetcow
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Traveling by car back to JHB, this was a one night stop on our journey, recommended by a friend.

We arrived just in time for a short evening walk around the estate, before enjoying home made supper, superb after a long day's driving. We met the owner and the staff and had a lovely evening chatting by the fire. The bar works on an honesty system, which is a refreshing approach, and perfect given the surroundings.

In the morning we got to see the sheep dogs do their bit to get the flock moving for the day, something of a novelty for someone unfamiliar with farms.

Spring water is tapped and bottled on location, a case of which made it's way home with me.

Our stay was simply too short to experience everything on offer. We will be back!
We stayed in the dorm, which was clean and freshly made up.

Room Tip: The dorms are clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paul W
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 25 April 2013

stayed there beginning of 2012. This did not feel like a guesthouse to me. It felt like they had some extra room and decided to make an extra buck on the side. They run a horse farm, so it's an easy extra to have pony-tours in the mountains. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it all was too hippie-commune-minded for me. Every wall in the house, including the bathroom (which was not very clean) was covered with dreamy hippie wisdoms, I wish I took pics of them... the hippie-guitar playing in the evening also was not necessary for me.
Food was being cooked for the residents and the people working with the horses and you could join them for dinner in the evening. That was it. Also nothing really wrong with that, but when we arrived there was a fat, hairy cat sitting on the kitchen counter, next to the food. the kitchen door was some sort of double-flapped stable door, and a horse was sticking it's head in the kitchen. Sorry but this is not clean. The cat was posted near the kitchen a lot, and when she wanted to be fed, she just clawed whoever was passing her.
The dorm was cheap but the beds were creaky and the whole room was moist..
too bad it rained very hard so all our clothes were soaked. this is not the fault of the owners, but they should be more prepared for this, its near the Drakensbergen, it rains a lot of times there. There was no proper way of drying our clothes. We left that place after 2 nights with a backpack full of wet clothes. They should at least prepare for stuff like this. Again this made the impression that they just put some extra beds in a room and pretend to be a place where people could stay. If the weather was good, we probably would have spent a lot more time outdoors, our clothes would not have been wet, and a lot of shortcomings would not have been so clear. But I would not stay there again, even if it was for free.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ruud p
Glasgow
Reviewed 23 February 2013

I have visited Drakensberg for a weekend in early spring and it was absolutely breathtaking.I booked a tour- first day drive up to Lesotho and on the second day horseriding in Drakensberg an a walk to bushman painting. We were accommodated in Khotso with an option to stay either in backpackers or a private cottage. Eventually I opted for backapackers as it was nearly empty and I could have a room to myself .I also never regretted- the place has got a fanstic friendly atmosphere. The staff made me feel like I was among friends- mostly young people that came to work with horses in South Africa from overseas and the friend of the family who popped in for dinner. We sat in the common area by the fireplace, sipping wine and everyone had some stories to say, mostly from their travels around Africa. I really enjoyed it! In the morning I got to interact with the horses just before our horseback trek and thats was another fabulous experience!
Homemade dinner and breakfast also recommended.

This is of course not a place for the people searching for the comforts of the western world (don't expect a telly!) It's just you, the stunning views of the wilderness around, warm people and the sense of adventure.

Would come back anytime!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Monika B
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I had my girlfriend join me half way through my tour of South Africa, and her interests weren't quite the same. I wanted the wine and the history of the Western Cape, and she wanted the wild spaces that Africa has so much of. The savanah plains with the wildlife weren't really an interest to me, so we made a compromise by heading for the Drakensberg mountain range. The Southern bit being most accessible to Durban - the closest international airport. She likes horses, and that's how we chanced upon Khotso. Horses, mountains (which I far prefer to the beaches), and a lot of space. They were also offering a 3 day overnight horse trek into Lesotho, which I can honestly say changed my perspective upon life. They call Lesotho the Kingdom of the sky, and for good reason - there's a lot of it. Apparently Lesotho is the highest monarchy in the world. I don't know how much water that holds, but I can say my Bettie couldn't have asked for more space if she wanted. The nature, and the scenery up there is hard to describe to someone...like myself that comes from the city - there's nothing in that country. Yet, the herders that you see every so few kms are there, and managing to survive; mid boggling stuff.
The backpackers where we stayed (Khotso backpackers) before setting off for this epic adventure, was pretty neat. Not by any means a modern establishment, the backpackers forms part of a pretty hard working sheep, and horse farm, and it was very refreshing to get "real" with the staff who worked there. Coming from the sophistication of the western cape, and Cape Town, coming to this little paradise, and being exposed to the naked beauty that is Lesotho will always make me plan my holidays a little differently.
I also agreed to compromise a little more with the Betty.

Room Tip: When going on a trip into Lesotho, where you'll be camping, make sure to take serious warm cloth...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gallin M
Nelspruit, South Africa
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We've stayed here a couple of times and every time was memorable...
The facilities was clean and accommodation homely.
Activities on our budget included taking a short hike to a little waterfall for a picnic and a jump into a beautiful pool, floated on tubes down the river organised by the owner and later had a super supper by the bonfire.
There are horse rides as well and great scenery.
Just love the berg!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Jaxeline
Also consider these accommodations in or near Underberg
Gooderson Drakensberg Gardens Golf & Spa Resort
Lake Naverone Holiday Cottages
Umzimkulu River Lodge
Umzimkulu River Lodge
#2 of 19 in Underberg

Been to Khotso Adventure Farm? Share your experiences!