“Over-crowded camping on flagstones”

Wilderness Beach house
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We stayed here for a night, in between Christmas and New Year - probably not the best time to stay if you are a couple! Very busy with lots of groups of travellers - so not a couples place. We had booked a camping spot - but when we got there we were told there were only spots on the flagstone balcony - not ideal. Good hostel kitchen at least. Think carefully about camping here.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I would prefer the "OK" score rather than "Average" as some members of the staff made a lot of difference during this stay and swayed it towards a more positive experience.

In general, I would not really recommend this place, at least for families. Even though I thought that with this location by the beach it is a perfect spot, I did not really enjoy it that much. For few reasons: Cleanliness is very average - room itself was nice, but the whole bed smelled like damp, showers were very very average and not really clean, definitely not inviting and most importantly the place turned into a party place in the evening, which made it almost impossible to sleep with super thin walls/doors with huge gaps. If you are for the parties, then this is perfect, but I always enjoed place where after several drinks and partying, you can just go into your room and being silent after 22 is respected. This is not really this place.

We had a bad luck with the weather as it was raining most of the time, so I guess the experience is much better when you can enjoy a lot of outside areas, but with the rain there was very little inside.

Special NO is for breakfast which was the worst one we have had on the whole trip with yoghurt either gone bad or just tasting like (excuse my wording, but it is the most appropriate) vomit, apart from that there were few pieced of bread and a jam - all to be "enjoyed" inside the kitchen on 3 stools and a bar-like counter as long as you moved some not-so-clean pots in order to find your spot. Needless to say, we quickly went out to get something proper to eat outside.

That said, some members of the staff really made a difference, so even because all of the above did not make me enjoy this place as much as I wanted, it was still ok.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 January 2014

What can I add what others have already written..
Sleeping with the sound of the waves and smell of the sea in your (dorm) room...
Dorm beds are great as are the showers!
Take a dive in the ocean in 5 min walking distance
hiking to the waterfall and other trails without hassle
enjoying the great meals when the cook is up to it (do ask every morning what the planning is for the evening) - otherwise walk into town for great meals (10min away)
because they have no wifi, you have the opportunity to talk with your fellow travellers
(there is a great restaurant around the corner if you need this)

Intended to stay 2 nights and that become 4 nights. So spend some time here if you want to unwind and enjoy the place. Even one night will make you to come back :)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Alexander_Surfer
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

I had an awesome stay at this hostel, which had the most beautiful dorm view I have ever seen. From the upper dorm you can see the beach and ocean from your bed! The host, Annie, is like a mother. Cooking delicious meals every day, and making sure you have a good time!

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Thomas M
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Wilderness is a stunning stop off. Beach house is perched above the sand and sea with amazing views. Rooms and dorms are a good size and clean. Great areas to chill out and if the weather turns there is a fire to warm yourself by. Annie and her family are welcoming and helpful. A word of advice, if you camp ask for the grassed area or take an air mattress in case you end up on the paved section. Ear plugs are good for light sleepers, as the main road above can be noisy if you camp or have a room at the back of the property. Peruse the book selection and make a donation - it goes to a very good cause.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sue l
Reviewed 28 October 2013

the most beautiful place on the whole garden route, friendly staff who made my stay unforgetable, clean showers and toilets, wonderful dorm room with ocean view, right next to the beach, manager who are always helping to organize tours, evenings in the bar with fire outside, i felt like at home, will definitly come back! :-) thank u guys for the best time i have ever had on my whole travelling in south africa!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mirjam C
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Firstly I must disagree with the below review. How can you say the "vibe" was missing when you have the most picture perfect view out of your window! Not to mention the beach right on your doorstep!

Anyway.... We LOVED this place. It was such a lovely place and for us the atmosphere was lovely. We self catered and they have small kitchen area for you to cook your meals with everything you need. They also have a nice bar area with a pool table which also looks over towards the sea :-) We stayed in the top dorm which had the best view. My bed was right in the balcony area so I could see the gorgeous view in the morning. :-) Also the lovely owner Annie was so helpful, she gave us some great advise and tips for arranging our trip as we go on further in South Africa. Annie really wants to look out for you so I would take her advise as I also think she has travelled and stayed in some backpackers around SA, she is by far the nicest lady we have come across in any backpackers and extremely approachable :-)

We unfortunately stayed with a couple of German girls in the dorm who were nice enough but by night time really didn't have any respect for anyone else in the room. Turning the lights on at 1am running around the place until 2am and shouting. Also bringing people up in the room who were not staying there at 12am and opening the balcony doors etc. for me this was our only issue. So based on this my only suggestion would be to get locks on the doors so people with the code can only access it or get lockers for the room so people can put there things away securely. Also to have someone around late at night to control any noise/parties as it may also effect other guests staying in the hostel.

Overall though I loved this hostel and I would definitely stay here again. It's such a gorgeous place with very friendly staff :-)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple