“Definitely the best steak in the WORLD!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Joplins Pub and Steak Grill

Joplins Pub and Steak Grill
Ranked #2 of 26 Restaurants in Wilderness
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Barbecue
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“Definitely the best steak in the WORLD!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

One stop we always HAVE to make when visiting Wilderness is at Joplins, the steak is the best you will ever have. The only thing that is not that nice are their open times, they aren't always open and you have to book a long time in advance to get a table. The prices are ridiculously low compared to the amazing food that you get. Awesome little place!!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank 3a_Knight

“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

We visited as a family (including a 2 year old) Wilderness for the weekend. Finding good places for dinner that are also family friendly is not always easy.
When we arrived there great hospitality impressed with a sherry on the house, and making sure throughout the evening that the small one is also happy.
The menu is limited, but we knew that, and that is their trademark. But wow, they do what is on the menu excellently. The best steak we had in a long time!
Highly recommended.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Corne S
Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
“GREAT stuff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

This was our first time to Wilderness, and Joplins came highly recommended as the best steak on the garden route... Well, there's no lie there. I had a fillet steak which literally melted in my mouth! I was so glad we managed to get a table, and I can now see why they're always so busy! MAGNIFIQUE!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lesleyannjacobs
“"Extremely disappointing ... But will maybe give it another Go" ?!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

"My family have visited Joplin's three times in the last two months and have been Over the Moon with the Great Steaks, the Chef and Waitress, the Simplicity of the Menu (only six meals to choose from) and the Good Service in General ...

After having all the brilliant reviews on this Site read to me, I was super exited and fired-up to try their Steaks !!!

The family recommended BOTH the Ribeye and Rump Steaks, saying that they were to die for !!!

Unfortunately, upon our arrival at 'Joplin's Steak Bar' for our Booking ... We were informed that they had neither Ribeye, nor Rump Steak available on Offer !!! ... This was extremely disappointing and frustrating, as it only left 4 other meals to choose from (T-Bone, Sirloin, Fillet or Lamb Chops) !!! ... Being a 'famous Steak Bar' I then opted for the 500g T-Bone (my 3rd choice) !!!

... As there are no veggies or other options available to accompany the Steaks, I was looking very forward to their 'Hand Cut Chips' that are said to accompany the Meal.

My meal arrived, the T-Bone was flat and thin, containing a large amount of Fat and looking far shy of a 500g Steak ... The Chips, if you could call them that, were hard and crunchy on top of the small pile and the ones underneath were saturated in an oily mix that could have been their famous Garlic Butter, mixed with Oil and Fat !!! ... The Chips had by no means been hand-cut either and were well below average !!! ... The meal was rounded off by a very sad looking half slice of tomato, a lettuce leaf and a slice of onion, the size of a 50 cent piece !!! :(

The entire experience left a bad taste in the mouth, giving me no option than to leave more than half of my meal on my plate ... (Not a usual sight for Me at all).

The Meal lacked in every aspect and my family were also not totally satisfied with their's either, having been blown away by the Steaks they had been served on the three previous occasions !!!

They did however say that the Chef was not the same one as their previous three visits ... This was all very disappointing indeed and certainly no value for your money whatsoever on this occasion, especially after travelling so far to visit this Restaurant !!!

... Perhaps they just had a 'Bad Night' or their usual Chef was not Available ... like the Rump and Ribeye Steaks !!! *sigh*

Maybe they should have let us know (before our arrival or upon booking) that almost half the meals on the menu were not available ... We would possibly have changed our booking for a more pleasurable dinning experience !!! :(

But on that note, we would like to possibly give them another shot and go back for a Rump or Ribeye Sometime, If and When they are available ... And also when their usual Chef is back on duty !!!

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Outstanding!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

The place is so unpretentious that you expect mediocre, but the steaks are melt in the mouth amazing and value for money - unbeatable. You must book to get in. They get FIVE stars from me!

Visited June 2013