“Uplifting paddle to short walk & waterfall”
Review of Eden Adventures

Eden Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Eden Adventures runs outdoor activities in the Wilderness area. We specialise in Canoe Hire, abseiling, and kloofing (canyoning). We also run teambuilding events on the Garden Route.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This review is long overdue as I’ve done the kayak towards the Touw river waterfall within my first year working at Acorn Guest House. This turned out to be my highlight of the year!
When I was given the opportunity to start working @ Acorn the owners Colin & Esther convinced me to take one of their canoes & to paddle towards the short hiking trail that leads to a heavenly waterfall..so I decided to pack a picnic backpack, grab my partner and do something different for a change, turns out that different was as overdue as this piece of writing! It was a beautiful sunny day in Wilderness so we started early launching the canoe on the other side of Eden Adventures near the Fairy Knowe Hotel, later realizing that this was much further than the normal paddle distance to the trail. The paddle took us about an hour because we experienced strong headwind…just my luck, I can still hear myself saying this to Andre my partner, at least he had some training growing up in this part of our gorgeous country & knew that we had to put some extra weight in front of the canoe to stop the bow being blown around by the wind. Me being relatively unfit & because of the heat I had some difficulty at first, nothing I couldn’t handle (NOT showing Andre that he was right when he said; “you need to get more exercise, this will be a challenge for you”) soon enough the wind calmed down as well as my soul, we were entering paradise a green lush forest accommodating a great variety of Bird life, we would catch ourselves sitting in the canoe for minutes on end just being astonished by the incredible surrounds, the sounds the smell, the natural beauty that we could enjoy for that moment together. We “parked” the canoe on the right hand side and followed the easy walking trail, me barefoot (I forgot my shoes in the car) to the waterfall. We were very fortunate to have seen the famous Knysna Loerie with its striking colors, my granddad once told me that if you see a Knysna Loerie you should be quiet and make it look that you are hiding, the bird is very curios & would then come up towards you to see what you are doing, we did just that & was awarded with a close encounter of this spectacular Loerie. The short walk to waterfall offers not only a appealing sight but revitalized our drained minds, the water was very cool, bright and inviting after paddling an hour instead of 40min..Yes the 20 minutes makes a difference! After a long swim I eventually got out to enjoy a snack & to soak up the sun. At that moment I can’t describe how relaxed I felt, it was truly uplifting. This experience is highly recommended, it’s a easy DIY activity with huge awards. Maps are available as well as professional guides should you wish to hire a canoe from Eden Adventures. p.s I have sent guests to Eden adventures numerous times , more than I can recall & my guests ALWAYS return with high appraisals towards all the staff, top service and big hearts! Eden Adventures will go out of their way to offer the best possible experience.

1  Thank AcornGuestHouse
There are newer reviews for Eden Adventures

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We went Abseiling with Eden Adventrures. Steve and Steven where our guides, which where great. The where funny and could tell a lot about South Africa. Also they helped me through doing the abseil ;) The abseilling is a half day tour (2-2,5hour) in the Wilderness National Park. After a short walk up, you are going down the cliffs (next down a waterfall). The landing is in a boat on the water. Also the guide in the boat take pictures from the first coming down – great service!

We did two abseils. One next to a waterfall and the other was 90% free fall abseil.

2  Thank Lindatjuhhh
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

What a fantastic day. Steven, the guide, did everything in his power to accomodate all. The entire day was great. Small intimate group. Great staff, outstanding guide (Steven) and gorgeous part of the world. Add a couple of great friends in the mix and this is worth the money paid. Great job to Chris, Steven and team. Cheers

Reviewed 7 December 2013

The river canoe and waterfall walk trip is brilliant - we are six, 60-plus-year-olds and had a fun few hours. Eden Adventures is just at the edge of the town of Wilderness, the whole place looks to be one of fun opportunities, but we only had a few hours, so canoeing and a walk were our main objective. One couple had never canoed before, but they found it quite easy with a bit of guidance from us and just far enough. We didn't book, just turned up, and the whole booking etc is very relaxed, you get your canoe, oars or paddles, a bucket with a sealable lid to put your stuff in and away you go, you can't get lost, just follow the river upstream, we had quite a wind in our faces for some of the way but it wasn't too difficult (I don't think they'll let you go out if the wind is too strong). You eventually arrive at a stony beach area, which is about as far as you can go, before you pick up the boardwalk up to the waterfall - but note the river is tidal and unless you pull your canoe right up and away from the water's edge the chances are it will float away whilst you are off walking! The walk itself is a very pleasant, there are occasional areas with steps, but not too many, and then you arrive at the waterfall. We took a picnic with us and sat for an hour or so, watching youngsters climb down to the water's edge for a swim - not for the those who are less able to scramble back up the rocks afterwards! I recommend this trip for all the family. I would suggest wearing a tee-shirt and shorts that you don't mind getting a bit wet, if you slip getting out of the canoe! and a pair of old trainers or similar because there is usually a bit of water in the bottom of the canoe and you will need to stand in the water to get the canoe off dry land, also plenty of sun cream and a hat! Make sure you use the loo before leaving the hire shop - if you are of a shy disposition because there is nowhere to go en route, otherwise there are bushes you can get behind!! All in all a fun day.

1  Thank ordinary-folk
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Felt like I was in a movie. Kayak the serene river and do the easy walk to the waterfall on well traversed paths. Bird watchers paradise.

3  Thank SoozSolo