“Fantastic break”

Lodge On The Lake & Wellness Spa
Ranked #20 of 60 Wilderness B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Stayed for 2 nights with my young girls. Staff is very friendly and the setting spectaculour!!! The spa treatments were fantastic and the atmosphere relaxing!! Will definately go back for another visit. View from the rooms is like something out of a storybook. Love it!!!!!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Janine K

Reviewed 4 April 2013

This was the first stop on our 2-week honeymoon trip along the Garden Route. (We subsequently stayed at another 5-star establishment and unfortunately had many points of comparison.)

We had the honeymoon suite and the view of the lake is spectacular - quite a site to wake up to. However, the honeymoon suite was not clean. We arrived late in the afternoon and noticed instantly that the room wasn't very clean. In the daylight of the next day, we noticed that room was actually unacceptably dirty (e.g. dust in numerous places, mold in shower, bed sheets smelled stuffy, rust in bar fridge).

We brought it to the attention of the new manager, Rory, and he had his staff clean up the room while we were out. They also gave us complimentary champagne and some lovely bath salts to make up for matters. This resolved the issue sufficiently but this lodge is still in need of some TLC. The towel racks were loose, soap dispenser broken, deck chairs ripped and torn, improperly paired glasses, cupboard hinges loose, the need for a 2-cup coffee plunger rather than a 1-cup, and the fan in the toilet needs to be cleaned so that it does not make so much noise when it's on.

I do believe that Lake on the Lodge can be one of the top places to stay on the Garden Route but they can't rest on their 5-star rating, reputation and location alone. It is a competitive industry and consumers expect value for their money - high standards require effort and consistent maintenance.

P.S.: We were not able to make use of the SPA since training was taking place thus can't give a rating.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a stunning lake view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Rory777, Manager at Lodge On The Lake & Wellness Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2013

Dear Philip

I'm very disappointed at such a negative review. As you can see from all our previous reviews, your 3 out of 5 star rating is not the norm. Perhaps even exceptionally strange? The standard that you describe is not fitting with the standard that we maintain at Lodge on the Lake.

Please let me clarify a few points:
When we stood together in your room and you brought the issues that you describe above to my attention, I fully agreed with you that they were unacceptable. It was a mistake, they happen. Upon your departure from the room, I IMMEDIATELY sorted out every single issue that you raised. All the traces of dust that you found, the marks in the fridge from the cans of soda, the glass that had a chip in it and the bedding that you described to me as smelling "new". You asked me to change just the bed sheet but I changed ALL the bedding on the bed. There was no way that you could have been unhappy with the condition of the room when you arrived again. I even went to the lengths of leaving you complimentary items (as you describe above, Champaign and bath salts for you and your wife to enjoy) and a hand written note apologising for your unhappiness with my personal contact details on in case of any further issues. Surely sufficient effort was made to apologise and fix the issues that you had and not lead to a 3 star rating?
As to the other issues, once again I agree with you. There are a few small maintenance issues that need to be resolved. Please do me a favour and stop in at the Lodge next time you pass and I can show you that these issues have been fixed.
Again, I apologise for what you experienced at the Lodge. Yet I do feel that the situation was immediately dealt with in a professional manner that spoke to the issues that you raised and that Lodge on the Lake does not deserve such a negative rating.

Reviewed 29 March 2013

Wonderful little lodge, just 5 rooms - all with balcony and overlooking the lakes and mountains.
The room had a very high standard, it was comfortabel and clean and very quiet.
Very nice staff and the breakfast on the patio is the best start you can have in the morning.
Enjoy the little SPA and arrange a treatment, its so relaxing.
The village is just a 5 minute drive from the lodge and you will find some very nice restaurants there.
Dont' miss a walk on the magnificent Wilderness beach.

We highly recommend that wonderful place if you travel along the Garden Route.

1  Thank SABerlin9876
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Wilderness is one of the best places at the garden route and lies directly on the N2, ideal to stop and rest for a few days in between the travelling along the spectacular garden route.

The Lodge On The Lake is definitely a high quality small hotel with breathtaking views. Only 5 rooms, all different from each other, all facing the lakes and all are upstairs so its very private and quite.
The location of the hotel is beautiful, overlooking the lakes and with the forested mountain behind.

The rooms and the hotel were of a very high standard, comfortable, well equipped and clean. We promise you do not hear any traffic noise in the hotel area. Parking was safe and secure.

The staff and management were very helpful and friendly, breakfast was individualy and freshly prepared. You can arrange for treatments in the fantastic little SPA as well. The infinity swimming pool was refreshing and very clean, you should have a sundowner in the pool while looking out onto the lake and mountains.

The location is a couple of minutes drive from some very nice restaurants in village and it is extremely safe to walk around, even in the evenings. Don't miss the Wilderness Village Market friday night!

The Lodge is close to the magnificent beach which is just on the other side of the highway. You must go for a walk in the later afternoon and enjoy the sunset.

If you travel along the Garden Route you should stop here. The location is central to many areas and there seems to be endless things to go and do, and beautiful places in the area to see. You can do many nice Excursions around the place for families or even couples.

For us the best lodge we have ever been on the Garden Route. We sincerely hope to be back very soon!! ;-)

Room Tip: any room will be good choice!
1  Thank claudini76
Rory777, Manager at Lodge On The Lake & Wellness Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2013

Thanks Claudini76! You summed us up beautifully! I look forward to your next visit..

Reviewed 24 March 2013

From the minute you walked through the front door of this beautiful Lodge, you know it is going to be special....the infinity pool disappearing into the lake behind...I was lost for words.
And the view from the room...sublime...so clear in the afternoon and so mysterious on a misty morning...
Breakfast is just so enjoyable sitting out on the patio with that gorgeous view and interaction with the other guests most enjoyable.
And, then, many thanks to Rory (manager) for being so helpful and charming and making sure that everything runs smoothly.
A truly memorable last evening in South Africa before leaving for Australia the next day.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Rory777, Manager at Lodge On The Lake & Wellness Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2013

Liz, having you was a pleasure! I was glad to remind you how great South Africa is, and hope that next time you visit you will stop over at our Lodge again!

Reviewed 21 March 2013

This was the first night on my honeymoon and I was extremely impressed with the honemoon sweet. We arrived late in the evening and had a resevation at serendipidy which was also of a very high standard.

Once we woke up and I opened the curtains, my wife was blown away with the view and was disappointed to leave the next day.

I would stay there again at any opportunity and plan to stay there next time I visit South Africa. If anyone is thinking to stay there, MAKE SURE YOU DO. I also arranged a hot stone massage which was excellent.

Breakfast was of high standard as well.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Rory777, Manager at Lodge On The Lake & Wellness Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2013

Nick, thanks for the great review! Having couples on their Honeymoon is always special, and I wish you a long and happy marriage. Your review says it all, fortunately we are blessed with a spectacular view at Lodge on the Lake, but we realize that we cant count on that to be the only thing that makes our guesthouse special. The Wellness Spa, good service, a comfortable homely enviroment and a hearty breakfast in the morning are all those things that add to the experience and I'm so glad that you experienced that at its best! We look forward to hosting you again!

Reviewed 6 March 2013

Not often in my 30 years of travel, i run into a place that is near to perfect.
A room with a view is to simple of a discription, it is breathtaking. The whole atmosphere in this wonderful B&B will stay in your mind for a long time. Nice breakfast in a photogenic setting.
The rooms all have a view over the lake. The pool is a dream and the location of the lodge is central for nice trips. The spa a joy and oasis of tranquillity. The staff, specially the manager,is making al that is perfect alreay even more delightfull.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Rory777, Manager at Lodge On The Lake & Wellness Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

Thank you Ronald for such a lovely review! We continually strive to uphold the best standards at Lodge on the Lake, yet at the same time to provide a comfortable and relaxed atmosphere, and I'm so glad that that is what you expereinced. Patrick, Numsa and myself look forward to the pleasure of hosting you again in the future