“Home from Home.....”

Ranked #7 of 56 Wilderness B&B and Inns
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Home from Home.....”
Reviewed 11 September 2012

While on a previous business trip down to the Garden Route I discovered Xanadu Guest Villa and was determined to try it out.....as everything looked good on the surface.

I got my chance 2 weeks ago when I had to go back for a week on business....

Well....beneath the surface it was even better than I could have imagined!

Albert and Tersia made fantastic hosts going out of their way to make me feel comfortable, even to the point with helping in some of the business needs I had. From the first night I was there I had come "home"!

The location is breath-taking (right on the beach) and even though I couldn't get a sea facing room (unfortunately all booked out during my stay) the room that I was in was fantastic with a huge balcony looking out on the mountains, a wonderful little lounge type section to relax in and a superb bathroom. Everything was absolutely 5 star and even though on business I enjoyed myself so much I felt like I had, had a vacation by the time I came home.

My only regret was that my wife wasn't there with me to share the wonderful experience I had....ah well......there's always next time.....

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and book well in advance to secure a sea facing room.....they really are magnifi...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
XanaduGuestVilla, Owner at Xanadu Guest Villa, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Gavin, thank you , your review is highly treasured , the more so because of your business dealings taking you all over South Africa and you often stay in different accommodation establishments.
Total Guest Satisfaction is not negotiable , that is why we are proud to state our policy:

• At XANADU we practice what we preach and we believe in our quality of excellent 5 star service delivery ;If we cannot deliver the advertised accommodation/service/product or comply to a reasonable guest complaint within a reasonable time , you stay for free or get your money back – fair enough ??
We are looking out for your next reservation , and please bring your wife along!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Arabic first
Lunenburg, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Travelling across the Western Cape, we came across Xanadu as a place to stay. The location is amazing. The views from the sitting room are breath taking. The front doors to Xanadu are huge and unbelievable. Beverages were provided on arrival. Breakfast was nice. The room was comfortable. The beach alone is worth the stay.

What could be better? The black mould in the bathroom needs to be attended to. The parking situation when busy could be better. The owner and host is not a personality that puts one at ease. He has worked hard for the opulence that he presents to guests... we have worked hard for the opportunity to enjoy his opulence... but his hovering is not a people pleasing one, it feels more like an overlord guarding his domain. His interaction with his breakfast staff was not pleasant either. Having other guests with a noisy dog probably didn't help our impression either.

Again not a bad stay... but not the most pleasant either.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank kathip03
XanaduGuestVilla, Owner at Xanadu Guest Villa, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Dear Kathi,
For a guest of a one night stay your observations are astonishing. Guests staying for several days are in a better position to judge and all we can implore is that those reviews will carry more weight with an objective reader.
As for Albert "hovering" , wonder what the comment would have been had he not been around to carry your luggage , make your tea on arrival and assist with information and reservations at a restaurant?
If any aspect of your room or elsewhere bothered you why did you not mention it to us.
Can you remember writing in our guest book "A Breathtaking spot on the ocean.A wonderful stop!"
This was written not on our request , but by you of your own free will.?

If you were in any way offended , uncomfortable or feeling out of your depth ,we humbly apologise but wish to add that thusfar in all of more than eight years of owning and managing XANADU GUESTVILLA , you have the distinction of being the first guest to experience a negative perception of my(Albert's)warm and friendly demeanour!!
Bless You,
Albert
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Albert and his wife made us feel very welcome at their guest house which was extremely comfortable and luxurious.The setting right on wilderness beach is fantastic and you can walk straight out onto the beach from the garden.The breakfasts are big and varied and the service you recieve from your hosts is excellent.Alberts knowledge of the area and his friendly warm manner really helps make you feel at home.This is a great stop for a lovely stay and make sure you stay a few days as its well worth it as there is so much to see and do whilst enjoying the comforts of this lovely guest house and its lovely hosts.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
XanaduGuestVilla, Owner at Xanadu Guest Villa, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Dear Colin,
Your review coming from being a guesthouse owner , is all the more treasured and valued.
If you enjoyed XANADU and Wilderness in our Winter , we wish that you can experience our Spring , Summer and Autumn when we enjoy the best of champagne weather!
Our best wishes for your own enterprise and please visit again.
Best Regards,
Albert & Tersia Hoffmann
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We visited Xanadu in july 2012. I regret we only booked one night. This was certainly one of the most romantic places I ever visited. (and I travelled around the world both for my work as for pleasure) Although his wife had the flue, Albert did his best to make us feel at home. We travelled with two children age 9 and 12. At first I was a bit scared that we chose the wrong place because the interior is quite impressing and I was afraid the owner would not appreciate the children playing on the beach and dirten the house afterwards. The opposite was the truth, Albert talked with the children as if he was their grandfather far away from home. Since Afrikaans is his motherlanguage, it is very comfortable for Flemish and Dutch children. They can be understood in their own language. My children were very interested to see whales, and Albert provided all the necessary information. The children specialy liked the gift they received from Allbert in returning for their whale drawings . The hand-made wooden carved animal figures that serve like a pencil were really appreciated. We really enjoyed the comfort Xanadu provided. The breakfast also was one of the best we enjoyed this year. Even in winter Xanadu can provide fresh fuit and yoghurt. Next time that I visit South Africa, I will certainly visit this gueast house again. I reccomend you do the same.

Room Tip: Try the delphin room, very romantic
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
XanaduGuestVilla, Owner at Xanadu Guest Villa, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Hallo Bart & Family,
Trust you are home safely. Thank you for the kind remarks. We just do what comes from the heart , do unto others as you yourself would like to be treated in a foreign country ?
You are welcome to return to XANADU for a longer stay and to enjoy and experience the beautiful nature , sights and activities. You are blessed with super children.
Via Con Dios,
Albert & Tersia Hoffmann
Sheffield, England
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We treated ourselves to a stay in The Presidential Suite and it certainly lived up to its name. The bathroom / dressing room was bigger than some of the bedrooms we have stayed in and the bedroom was huge. The decor was sumptuous and no expense had been spared; we had floor to ceiling glass on 3 sides overlooking the sea, our own private balcony with stairs down to the pool and beach and a corner bath overlooking the beach on both sides. This is definitely one of the best hotels I’ve stayed in, I hope to be back very soon.

Room Tip: Stay in The Presidential Suite if you can, you won't be sorry.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Owner at Xanadu Guest Villa, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Hallo Carol,
Thank you , you are a a good judge of quality. Please visit us again on your next vacation to South Africa for an even better experience!
Safe Travels & Good Health.
Sincerest Albert & Tersia.
Badenweiler, Germany
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Stayed for three nights - definetly not enough time for the area. Enjoyed the
stay at the Guest Villa so much - beautiful interior and views, direct on the
beach, see and listen to the ocean from the bathtub! or from the garden.
Beautiful sunsets, morning walk along the many km of beach is a great way to
start the day - gracious, friendly people. Drove up north and south from
Wilderness - as far as I am concerned the best place to stay and the most
beautiful of beaches in 100 km radius!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
XanaduGuestVilla, Owner at Xanadu Guest Villa, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Hallo Gabi,
Thank you for an honest review. May you have many more happy travels! Hope to have you as our guests again any time.
Best Regards,
Tersia & Albert Hoffmann.
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We stayed at this b&b in March and what a b&b shame to call it that really more like a five star hotel
with friendly owners
where do you geta a b&b that even brings sunloungers out for you
not in britain anyway even when the sun does shine
we found the whole experience
just wonderful and cant speak highly enough i consider pevious comments on decor unfair
how on earth can you cater for every taste
this is a place not to be missed

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple