“It's ok-ish”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The look and feel of the restaurant promised much but then the food arrived and I was not that impressed. The meal was colder than I would have liked and there was no hint of chilli in the Chocolate Chilli Fillet. The plate was also a bit greasy around the edges. Service was also left wanting as the waiter was sure what 'bitters' is and vanished after putting the food onto the table. Not sure if I will visit this place again!

1  Thank Obru

Reviewed 6 June 2014

The restaurant ran a promotion through a promotion company. The value we recieved was less than half we expected having heard so much about this restaurant. The was not as great as expected especially poor was the desert. The wine was expensive, and the incorrect vintage arrived than what was on the menu. When asking for water, they slipped us very expensive Italian water....we only realised this much later. In all we will not visit this restaurant again.

2  Thank recoilgp
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Always consistent quality - food and service. We always eat at Godfather when we come back from abroad as they really offer brilliant South African Steak.
Janet (the owner) knows and greets us, and many of her other regulars by name. The personal service just adds to a great dining experience.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

We had to phone the restaurant to get directions as the plotting on the GPS is not correct. The place is nice and the welcome was friendly and warm. I did not like the chairs that we sat on - like a soft bench and want so sit close to the one next to me. (We allowed our guests to sit on the bench this time). The food was very nice (but a little expensive). Dessert was awesome. Service good. My rating is very good, because there is not an option above average en very good. My husband comment: An expensive edition of Spur. And the wine: VERY expensive.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Summary:
- Really excellent service
- Cramped uncomfortable seating
- Good quality beef, the other food and sides wasn't great
- Very expensive compared to other similar places
- Spectacularly expensive wine list

It was with great anticipation that I visited The Godfather, having heard so many good things and read a lot of very good reviews.
The service was excellent from the start with the hostess being very friendly and accommodating us by moving us to a location more suitable for the stroller we brought for our baby boy. The waiting staff was also very attentive and professional. We were shown to our booth which turned out to be some of the most uncomfortable seating I have endured in a long time.
For starters we had a dish of beef strips in a sauce with a side of guacamole. The beef was deliciously tender, but under seasoned. This turned out to be the theme for the evening, good quality beef with poor to average side dishes and sauces, For mains we had two fillet dishes, one of which was the infamous chilli-chocolate fillet. Again the meat was excellent, but the sauce was so sickly sweet that our baby boy ended up eating half of it with his fingers. The other fillet dish was a special of fillet medallions with smoked salmon, capers and sour cream. I was curious about the combination and tried it out, but it did not work. For dessert we had chocolate brownies with ice cream. The brownies were quite good, but the promised "four fingers" turned out to be what looked like two fingers that were cut into four small wedges (had they run out?) on a mound of ice cream.
Having had a starter, two main courses, a dessert and a bottle of wine the evening cost us a spectacular R800. The wine was especially expensive with bottles that I know to sell for about R70 retail listed on the menu for R220.
For the service and the quality beef I would recommend the Godfather, but stick to the basics in terms of food and try to take your own wine (not sure if they allow it and what the corkage charge is).