“Excellent accommodation clean and comfortable” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Protea Hotels by Marriott Pretoria Centurion

Protea Hotels by Marriott Pretoria Centurion
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Centurion
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Excellent accommodation clean and comfortable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2012

Very tired from our long flight, our welcome at the front desk was just right ; helpful, informative and professional . Our comfortable suite had plenty of room, a useful kitchenette, with microwave and fridge. There was also a well furnished living room with a three piece suite.
In the separate bedroom there is a lovely comfortable big bed, and a favorite of mine, thick fully fitted black out curtains, essential for the lazy morning lie in.
The hotel has a good restaurant and a well organised breakfast. The evening meal was a bit mixed, and whilst the food was good, service was not very forthcoming, Neither was it good value; if it was not for the torrential rain, i doubt if it would have been as busy as it was.
Breakfast was much better organised with good choices and excellent staff.
The housekeeping section of hotel are often regarded as a Cinderella section largely unseen and frequently ignored; not so at this hotel, staff and room standards were excellent.
there is a small pool but we enjoyed the sun, whilst viewing the waterfowl and other bird life in and around the lake.
Nearby is the Gautrain station, the excellent Centurion Mall, and the good views over the lake.
One of the best memories of this hotel is the friendly and helpful staff, together with clean comfortable safe and secure accommodation.
Very good stay, wish we had used it on our return journey to Gauteng, instead of the 5* in Pretoria.

Room Tip: pay a little bit more and get a very comfortable suite
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PHWaterfront, General Manager at Protea Hotels by Marriott Pretoria Centurion, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Dear Cherriesfan_9,

Thank you for very much for taking the time to review our hotel and for the fantastic comments with regards to your overall experience. I am delighted to hear that you found our facilities up to standard and the STAFF very commendable.

I would like to sincerely apologise for the mix up with your evening meal in particular the poor service and ultimately not realising the value for money. I have addressed this with my TEAM and have implemented a more efficient service delivery strategy during our busy periods.

Our suite appartments are available at a small surcharge and are worth every penny! We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to South Africa on your next visit.

Genral Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

We stayed 24th to 28th Sept. Arrived mid afternoon, we were very disappointed in the room we were given really needed some TLC, spoke to Reception and the Manager upgraded us to a Deluxe room which sorry was still not up to scratch. We ended up having to upgrade to a Suite at 300 rand/£25 per night (1,200 rand/£100) to get a room that was suitable this I found annoying that we had to pay extra to get a suitable room considering what we had paid for the accommodation when we booked our complete holiday package through Thomas Cook Signatures/Thompsons Africa. My personal feeling was this hotel is not geared up to accommodate people on holiday. The food was good. I cannot fault any of the staff in the hotel they were all very pleasant. The failing for the hotel is the quality of the rooms. What I did find strange that even in the afternoons there were still trays from I presume previous nights Rooms Service lying in the corridors.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cath C
PHWaterfront, General Manager at Protea Hotels by Marriott Pretoria Centurion, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear Cath C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel, your feedback is greatly appreciated. I would like to sincerely apologise for the terrible experience during your visit in September. Our suite apartments are available at an additional surcharge of R300 as they come with a separate lounge area and kitchenette and are also more spacious than the standard rooms.

With regards to the state of our rooms, I do agree with you that they are tired and are in need of an upgrade. I would like mention that we are looking at a bathroom refurbishment in the new year. For now we are finishing off the project on the exterior of the building (walls & roof)

I am pleased to hear that you found our food up to standard and the STAFF members commendable. Although the hotel offers 24 hour room service and GUESTS are normally ordering from this menu throughout the day, there is no excuse for the uncollected dirty trays in the corridors. I have addressed this with my TEAM.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused due to our inability to meet your expectations as a holiday maker. I sincerely hope that you will consider using us again in the future so that we can have the opportunity to make amends.

Natalie Botha

Travellers are raving about these Centurion hotels

Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

Being booked into a room with a paper thin inter-leading door did not bode well, neither did the hand basin in the bedroom nor the grubby bathroom with a hand shower mounted on the wall over the bath. The speedy response from management to relocate me to a 'better' room was somewhat marred by the discovery of a cockroach in the bathroom at 2am and a further 3 the following afternoon. My complaint was met initially with disbelief, followed by the very prompt arrival of two ladies from housekeeping and a very large can of Doom. Although I warned them that this would not only be hugely ineffective, it would also encourage the beasts to run in many directions, they proceeded to asphyxiate us all. Cue the Head of Housekeeping entering stage left into a fog of insect killer, who bid a hasty retreat to return with the hotel manager armed with a blank key card. My suitcases were rounded up and I was swept down many passages and upwards to the roof to be ensconced with a flourish in the Presidential Suite. At least the last night of my stay was spent in comfort and cleanliness! I cannot fault the staff of this establishment. They were extremely friendly and courteous. They reacted to each complaint with absolute efficiency but sadly this was not enough to encourage me to ever consider staying there again. The hotel facilities desperately need a major upgrade - the recent coat of paint does not compensate for this need and the general cleanliness of the rooms leaves a lot to be desired. The general state of the accommodation, coupled with the cockroach problem was just too much to bear.

Room Tip: The Presidential Suite would be the only room safe to sleep in (although the decor leaves much to be...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Sandiman7
Dear Sandiman 7,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I would like to sincerely apologise for such a terrible experience during your visit in September. There is absolutely no excuse for the unacceptable housekeeping standards. I have addressed the cockroach matter with our pest control service provider to ensure that it does not persist.

With regards to the state of our bathrooms, I agree with you that they are tired and are due for an upgrade. I would like to mention that we have a refurbishment plan scheduled to take place in the new year. For now we are finishing off the project on the exterior of the building (walls & roof).

I am glad to hear that you found the STAFF members friendly and courteous. I sincerely hope that you will consider using us again in the future and give us the opportunity to make amends.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Protea this week. The room safe was not working i asked fir it to be repaired but it never happened. Bathroom was a bit run down, room was ok. Very average hotel in a reasonable location close to the Crnturion mall.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
PHWaterfront, General Manager at Protea Hotels by Marriott Pretoria Centurion, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Dear Africapaddy,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel following your stay with us last week. Your feedack is truly appreciated. I am pleased to note that you found the hotel's proximity to the shopping mall quite convenient. I would like to point out that the hotel is also within walking distance to the Centurion gautrain station and we offer complimentary shuttle to and from the station daily.

Please accept my sincere apologies for our inability to get your room safe fixed while you were staying with us. I have addressed this with the respective department to ensure that it does not happen again in the future.

I completely agree with you that our bathrooms are tired. I am however happy to say that we have refurbishment plans to restore the bathrooms in the near future. For now we are giving the exterior of the building a good scrub and the roof a fresh coat of paint.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel to show you what true hospitality is all about.

Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

This hotel's location is very good, just a stone away from the Centurion Mall. It's not a hotel that can take your breath away, it's good for business purposes. I was dissappointed by not seeing a lake because it has been drained out.

I was At room 204 which was not that much big. They shlold have includd balconies on the side facing the lake. The hotel is being renovated currently which is a bit disturbing because I wasn't even able to open my window due to scaffolding running next to my window but that is understandable.

The hotel is good with flat screen TVs, queen size beds, etc. complementary cakes were so delicious I even asked for sum more although I was dissappointed about the delay in delevering them in such a awy that I had to remind them after 30 minutes and that the following day they couldn't supply me with them without any clear explanation.

They have a very limited buffet selection.

Room Tip: Get the upper rooms towards Gautrain Centurion section they got a superp view.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Boo-ngane
PHWaterfront, General Manager at Protea Hotels by Marriott Pretoria Centurion, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
Dear Boo-ngane,

Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel following your previous stay. I am delighted to hear that you found our proximity to the Centurion Mall ideal. We are also located close to supersport park stadium as well as the Centurion Gautrain Station and offer complimentary shuttle to and from.

You are quite right to say that the hotel has traditionally been good for business travel. However, our weekends are fast becoming ideal for leisure travellers as well. We have launched our very own Kids playroom every Saturday from 7am to 11am offering fun activities and games for kids staying in the hotel. Additionally, with Spring unedrway, we have launched our proudly South African braai with entertainment on Saturday afternoons also offering lots of exciting activities plus children under the age of 12, dining with their parents will eat for FREE.

The hotel is currently undergoing routine maintanence work on the building exterior which involves a fresh coat of paint on the roof as well as washing the walls with a pressure hose, hence the scuffolding. Unfortunately we have had to ask our GUESTS to keep the windows closed during this time so that we can avoid water damage to the rooms. The good news is though is that the project will be completed soon and the hotel will look fresh and clean as a result. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this is causing.

Room 204 is one of our standard rooms and does not have a balcony. We do offer another room type( SUITE APARTMENTS) thats more spacious with a semi-self catering facility, a separate lounge area, a kitchenette and in some instances a balcony. A small upgrade fee is levied for these rooms but totally worth every penny. Please enquire about these rooms on your next visit and you will not be dissappointed.

With regards to our food & beverage service, I am terribly sorry that the delivery of the complimentary cakes took longer than expected. I have addressed this matter with the relevant departments. Additionally, I am dissappointed to hear that you found our buffet offering limited. I would like to highlight that the hotel also offers an A' La carte menu daily for both lunch and dinner service times. Alternatively there is 24 hour room service available daily to our in-house GUESTS. I am so sorry that this was not communicated during your stay.

Having said this, I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and show you what true hospitality is all about.

Pretoria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

Found this hotel really great for business travel, even though reception was a bit dicey, ie. 6 people at reception and service was delayed. Hate to compare establishments but missed the 'little something different' that I usually get at Southern Sun Hotels, the free popcorn, cotton candy or exotic welcome drink, etc. However, did get a questionaire about my likes and dislikes in my room. Questions were a bit invasive though. Gladly filled it out though as I want to see where this is going. Pleased to find a bath in my single room but alas, no bubble bath :( and the body wash couldn't froth. Food was well prepared. I hope that they consider getting a bluetooth hub as I destroyed yet another phone in the bath. Would be great to listen to my own music and access my calls without getting out the bath, face breaking my neck to vault and sprint out the water and sloshing all over all over the place and on my phone (may it rest in peace or maybe the hairdryer will do the trick? Sorry, Suri). The toilet went on the fritz in the first 5 minutes but the next 5 saw three maintanence guys and a flushing toilet 5 minutes later so service for this was really great, especially after 5 hours of transit, it was dearly appreciated. On the whole, great place for business, but doubt I'd vacation here (not the hotel's fault but Pretoria doesn't strike me as an idealic escape. Get some free internet which was appreciated as I exhausted my 3G and didn't have to buy more online.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank AliceInWonderland_13
PHWaterfront, General Manager at Protea Hotels by Marriott Pretoria Centurion, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Dear Aliceinwonderland,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Our establishment is indeed a corporate hotel that offers comfortable and convenient settings for the business traveller. Please accept my sincere aologies for the delays upon check in despite the numerous STAFF members that were available at the desk.

The main purpose of the questionnaire that was in your room is to enable us to get to know you better. Thank you for taking the time to fill in the form.Our rooms are equipped with a an ensuite bath and shower and the bathroom supplies offered include body wash. We look forward to providing you with bubble bath on your return visit. On the whole, I am pleased to learn that you found the service standards commendable and our food well prepared.

It's a pity that you do not consider Pretoria an idea holiday destination because there are numerous attractions ( such as Jan Smuts House Museum, Voortekker Monument, Lion and rhino park, union buildings and the SA Air Force Memorial museum) to make it an exciting getaway. Additionally, our GUESTS have the opportunity to be part of interesting tours arranged in conjunction with Ulysses, our onsite tour operator.

We certainly look forward to hosting you again soon and trust that you'll have a more enjoyable stay on your return trip.

Nairobi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

I got a room on the 5th floor that was just lovely. Very spacious, nice toiletries, quiet...just what i needed.

The only things i noted were;.
- i had an issue with the heating unit & reported this on day 2. by that evening it still hadnt been fixed & i had to call back again. It felt like the front office staff werent paying attention the 1st time
- While the Food at the restaurant was very good, I just had a problem with the wait staff. In the mornings they tended to congregate at the front desk & getting assistance from them was hard. On most cold mornings that meant leaving without a refill for my tea

I'd definitely stay at Protea again. Very convinient especially for shopping at Centurion Mall in the evenings

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Nairobi_ciku
HeatherPoulsen, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotels by Marriott Pretoria Centurion, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your comments as it is imperative for us to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS' expectations.

I am pleased to hear that you were happy with the 5th floor room that was allocated to you and it was just what you needed!

Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor turnaround time in resolving the problems with your air conditioner. I am so sorry that the front office TEAM did not demonstrate a sense of urgency when they handled the request in the first place. Additionally, I am very disappointed to hear that the restaurant STAFF was not attentive during service time. I wish to advise you that I have personally addressed the matter with the respective personnel to ensure that this does not persist.

I am pleased to see that this experience will not deter you from using us in the future. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel, to show you what true hospitality is all about.

Yours sincerely