“BETTER TRAINING FOR DUTY MANAGERS.”

Protea Hotels Pretoria Centurion
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Centurion
Reviewed 23 April 2013

A few minor problems are hampering total customer satisfaction at this establishment:

1. Why lock the side door of this establishment at 22H00 in the evening? It’s only situated 10 meters from the security gate of hotel. We had to walk around the complete hotel in the absolute pouring rain to get to the hotel. (There are doors leading from the undercover parking directly into the Hotel but these are all locked…)

2. The night Management refuses to silence drunken guests on their balconies at 02H00 in the mornings.

3. The Mall opposite the Hotel closes their gates at 21H00 at night making it almost impossible to get to the Hotel unless you walk about a kilometre in the dark in a almost deserted road, which is not very safe. Even when travelling by car you can only enter the Hotel form one side if this gate is closed. Really unacceptable.

4. Also the Bar and Room service is a nightmare in the evenings. Calls go unanswered, and the food is not very palatable. (This is maybe why we went to other restaurants. The Hotel does not market their restaurant sufficiently to hotel patrons.)

5. I also have no idea at how many “Managers” one should book your accommodation as, we were told on Saturday that we are supposed to leave the hotel even though we confirmed and pre-paid the accommodation for both nights. Luckily this was resolved but it should not have happened in the first place.

6. The overall Check-in and consequent enquiries was handled extremely efficient by a lady called Anel. It could only benefit this hotel and its Management either train their Duty Managers to rival Anel’s abilities or to actually make her part of the Management team.

7. Overall this Hotel has more positives than negatives but unfortunately the negatives are all influencing negatively on what should have been a relaxing weekend.

I do suggest that duty managers are better trained to deal with situations in the absence of the General Manager as none of these problems ever happens whilst the GM are at the Hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms are extremely beautiful, but the one's with the view of the lake, (If there's...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Francoise J
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotels Pretoria Centurion, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Dear Francoise J

Thank you for your valued feedback regarding your recent stay at the Protea Hotel Centurion.

I am delighted to hear of the positive impact that Anel had on your stay. Offering the best GUEST service is imperative to our success and I will congratulate Anel on her efforts. We have an on-going training program in place to ensure that we continuously strive for service excellence.

GUEST safety and security is important to us and, as a result, we lock the side door at night. I am truly sorry that this caused you an inconvenience.

The Mall is operated independent and therefore we are unable to change their opening and closing times. However, going forward we will be sure to inform GUESTS about the trading hours of the nearby mall.

Please be assured that your concerns have been attended to and we trust that this will have a positive impact on your next stay with us.

There are newer reviews for Protea Hotels Pretoria Centurion

Reviewed 16 April 2013

I agree with my fellow reviewer below. It is a standard business hotel and not bad, but not value for money. The first night was a holiday rate and the second night the rate went up double.... . The rate does not include a breakfast (not like other Protea Hotels). Wifi is free till 100MG (? sorry not certain) but it was enough.

Teh first room assigned was facing a busy road and west side (thus very hot in the evening). I asked to change the room and they assigned the room facing a window or outside wall renovation in the second floor, which was not ideal. Finally they promised to change the room in the next day. The final room I got in the second day was facing a pool side and lake, and has a small balcony overlooking a lake on a higher floor, which was nice.

The room does not have a fridge, but you can ask for it and they will bring it for free of charge.
Pool was small and looks like a fish pond and lacked privacy. The resturant was Ok (room service).

My reason to book this hotel was I had a business in the area. I would not have chosen this if there is no reason to be in the area. The hotel runs a shuttle bus to the train station which is very convenient as I do not feel very safe in walking any streets alone. Also the hotel is very close to a shopping mall and you can go shopping or dining out.

Room Tip: Avoid lower floors, facing a busy road and west side. Ask for a room with a lake (but in fact no wat...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank doranobi
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotels Pretoria Centurion, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2013

Dear doranobi

I appreciate the time you have taken to post valuable feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

As the majority of our GUESTS travel on business, our rates during the week differ from that of the weekend. As a result, depending on which rate one books, breakfast may or may not be included.

I apologise for the inconvenience you experienced with getting the correct room and for you disappointment with some of the services at the hotel. We do offer various room categories which are more spacious with a separate lounge and kitchenette. Please feel free to request one of these when making your next reservation.

I am, however, glad that our complimentary shuttle bus and unique location near the shopping mall proved to be convenient for you.

Your feedback will assist us in reaching our goal of offering the best GUEST service.

Please feel free to contact me directly at gm@phcenturion.co.za.

Reviewed 18 March 2013

not a bad hotel but too expensive for what you get
isolated location and simple room
staff is doing their job - not more than that
the only added value that I can tell about is that the centurion mall is very near by

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Shlbre
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotels Pretoria Centurion, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Dear Shlbre

Receiving feedback via TripAdvisor is appreciated by the TEAM and motivates us to continue searching for excellence.

Our location nearby the Centurion Mall offers shopping and alternative dining within a short distance. We are also very close to Supersport Park Cricket Stadium and the new Gautrain Station for easy transport to the airport or CBD; all of which are beneficial to those travelling on business.

I apologise that you did not find value during your stay, as this is not the experience we want GUESTS to have. Please feel free to contact me directly at gm@phcenturion.co.za to discuss your concerns.

Thank you for your review and I would welcome the opportunity to host you again.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times on business trips, the latest stopover being 6 months,to me that says everything. I love it here, the staff, all of them, are fantastic,they cannot help you enough, without being in your face. I get a friendly face every time I leave or return, even the security staff are friendly, and restaurant staff are lovely, as are the reception staff and management, and even the cleaners sing a song for us.Natalie the new manager is doing a great job.i have NO complaints about this place, the lake needs cleaning but it's not the hotels responsibility.i love it here.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to the suites although all the rooms are adequate
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotels Pretoria Centurion, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

Dear alfie73

It has been an absolute pleasure hosting you at Protea Hotel Centurion and the STAFF will be so pleased with your comments.

The entire TEAM is very passionate about exceeding GUEST expectations and creating a friendly, feel at home environment. It is very heart-warming to hear that you experienced this with STAFF from all departments.

Thank you for such a wonderful review and you will always be welcome here.

Reviewed 21 February 2013

At my first stay I had a room in the 3rd floor, which was fine. This time I got a room (130) in the 1st floor, which was directly at the climate devices from the lobby, very loud, even when the windows were closed. Not worse any penny, sleeping nearly impossible. The hotel was fully booked, so no chance to change.
Furniture also not that good than in the 3rd floor.
But hey, the water wis back in the lake.

Room Tip: 3rd Floor, never accept a room in the 1st floor..
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotels Pretoria Centurion, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2013

Dear Carsten B

Thank you for your comments expressed on TripAdvisor. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused by the noise on the first floor.

You mentioned that during your previous stay you were on the 3rd floor and that room was to your liking. I completely understand your concerns as the 3rd floor suites have been renovated and have an elegant look and feel.

Ensuring complete comfort for GUESTS throughout their stay is very important to the TEAM.

I hope to welcome you back again soon and please be sure to contact me directly at gm@phcenturion.co.za for your future reservations.

Reviewed 4 January 2013

We arrived at the O.R. Tambo International Airport on 01/01/13 for a business meeting in Centrurion (Pretoria). It was extremely easy and convenient to take the Gautrain from the Airport to Centurion.

I was a bit skeptical to book at the Protea Hotel Centurion, due to some of the advice given on TripAdvisor. We were however pleasantly surprised!

The booking went very smooth and Hernus de Lange attended to all my e-mails and booking requests.

The Protea Hotel Centurion is within easy / safe walking distance from the Gautrain station.

Upon arrival at the hotel we were welcomed by the friendly security staff at the gate as well as the security staff and staff at the door. The personnel at reception were also very friendly and knew exactly who we were. The porters were eager to help us with the luggage and we were always greeted by staff members passing by. I found that the staff members were well trained, friendly and eager to please – even having to work on New Years day.

We found a welcoming letter from “Natalie & Team” in our room, with crisps as well as bottled water. The Suite is the perfect room to book, as it has two rooms, a small kitchenette with a microwave and fridge, couch, etc.

The rooms were clean and they provide small things, like insect repellent cream, sun block, a small needlework kit, etc = thus a lot of detail to make your stay comfortable. They used a lot of leather and the curtains etc. seemed new. I did not really like the curtains, but it is probably the best choice for a busy hotel. The rooms are however in my opinion up to date with the latest trends and VERY clean. The bathroom had a huge shower and a smaller bath. Everything worked perfectly and the tiles are modern and beautiful.

The twin beds and pillows were very comfortable. I am not the easiest traveler to please and I really need absolute silence when I sleep. I felt a bit uneasy with our room being so close to the A/C turbines that can be noisy – only if you are as sensitive to noise as I am. Truth be told, I think many people will not even notice the noise.

I called reception about the noise and they immediately told me that they would move us to another suite. They were very friendly and one of the staff members came to our suite in order to take us to another suite on the 6th floor. They also asked us if we were happy with the new suite, before we moved to this suite.

Breakfast in the beautiful restaurant was very nice, with a huge selection of fresh fruit, yogurt and I can recommend the omelets. Staff was friendly and the view of the swimming pool and lake is beautiful. Remember that breakfast is not always included in the room rate.

After our meeting we walked from the hotel to the Centurion Mall – it is about a 2 minute walk as the hotel is next to the Mall (no noise from shoppers, traffic, etc.)

Upon our arrival back in our "new" suite, we found a bottle of champagne and a small platter with biscuits, cheese and fruit from the management, apologizing for the inconvenience caused by the noise in the other room. I have learned that the hotel may not be perfect, but that the management and staff will honestly try their best to make the stay perfect and worthwhile. We also received a one night's complementary stay and a text message to welcome us back in the future. We stayed for 2 nights in total.

The Protea Hotel Centurion is probably the best choice if you travel without a car, having to use the Gautrain and wanting to be close to the Mall. They do have safe parking for people travelling by car.

Money wise, I think that the hotel is very good value for money. Remember to ask for a room on the 6th floor if you are sensitive to noise. Always remember to communicate with the staff when you are unhappy about something, as they are eager to please.

We will most definitely return to the Protea Hotel Centurion if we visit Pretoria again - I think that one will be able to stay in the hotel for a week or more and still feel at home and comfortable, as the rooms (suites) are very spacious. I will recommend the hotel for business travelers and families.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 6th floor if you are sensitive to A/C unit noise.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotels Pretoria Centurion, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

Dear BlommetjieBlommetjie

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of our hotel, which mentions all of the wonderful aspects that we offer.

The STAFF have proven that they continue to put huge amounts of effort into offering the best GUEST service. Your comments regarding their friendly attitude and constant eagerness to please is great to hear.

Attention to detail in all areas helps us to stand out from the crowd and I am thrilled that all of the special in room amenities and welcome gifts were to your liking.

Having the Gautrain Station and Centurion Mall as our neighbours is of great benefit to GUESTS as you mentioned; especially if one does not have a car to get around with.

All in all, your review is appreciated and the TEAM will be thrilled when they see your comments.

Happy New Year and safe travels.

Reviewed 1 December 2012

Very tired from our long flight, our welcome at the front desk was just right ; helpful, informative and professional . Our comfortable suite had plenty of room, a useful kitchenette, with microwave and fridge. There was also a well furnished living room with a three piece suite.
In the separate bedroom there is a lovely comfortable big bed, and a favorite of mine, thick fully fitted black out curtains, essential for the lazy morning lie in.
The hotel has a good restaurant and a well organised breakfast. The evening meal was a bit mixed, and whilst the food was good, service was not very forthcoming, Neither was it good value; if it was not for the torrential rain, i doubt if it would have been as busy as it was.
Breakfast was much better organised with good choices and excellent staff.
The housekeeping section of hotel are often regarded as a Cinderella section largely unseen and frequently ignored; not so at this hotel, staff and room standards were excellent.
there is a small pool but we enjoyed the sun, whilst viewing the waterfowl and other bird life in and around the lake.
Nearby is the Gautrain station, the excellent Centurion Mall, and the good views over the lake.
One of the best memories of this hotel is the friendly and helpful staff, together with clean comfortable safe and secure accommodation.
Very good stay, wish we had used it on our return journey to Gauteng, instead of the 5* in Pretoria.

Room Tip: pay a little bit more and get a very comfortable suite
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
PHWaterfront, General Manager at Protea Hotels Pretoria Centurion, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2012

Dear Cherriesfan_9,

Thank you for very much for taking the time to review our hotel and for the fantastic comments with regards to your overall experience. I am delighted to hear that you found our facilities up to standard and the STAFF very commendable.

I would like to sincerely apologise for the mix up with your evening meal in particular the poor service and ultimately not realising the value for money. I have addressed this with my TEAM and have implemented a more efficient service delivery strategy during our busy periods.

Our suite appartments are available at a small surcharge and are worth every penny! We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to South Africa on your next visit.

Regards,