“Nice Thai food, but service below expected standard in a noisy atmosphere.”

Simply Asia Southdowns
Ranked #100 of 153 Restaurants in Centurion
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Thai, Japanese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Centurion, South Africa
“Nice Thai food, but service below expected standard in a noisy atmosphere.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

My wife and I wanted to enjoy some nice spicy food for a change but found that our local Tarana Indian Cuisine restaurant at Mall@Reds was fully booked. We then decided to try Simply Asia Thai food restaurant at Southdowns. I first phoned to make a booking but the background music in the restaurant was at such a level that we could hardly hear each other although the person confirmed that they had seating available for us. Upon our arrival we found the restaurant moderately busy. The staff member that welcomed us and accompanied us to a table informed me that there was not a waitron immediately available to attend to us. Eventually Justice arrived who was very attentive to our needs throughout the evening. The high volume of the background music however made it difficult to place our orders and he had my wife’s drink order totally incorrect.
The “Ped Phad Khew-Wan” (Roasted Duck) that I ordered was well presented and very tasty. Fortunately these dishes all have numbers next to them on the menu that simplifies the ordering process! For desserts I had some Thai-Angles filled with chocolate while my wife enjoyed some Fried Banana that were both served with nice Ice cream. We found both these very tasty and worth all those kilojoules! They even provide the kilojoules content of each dish on the menu.
We never the less enjoyed our dining experience but experienced that the noisy rock background music provided was not complimentary to an Oriental type restaurant and the waiting period between the different dishes to be rather lengthy.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank LeonKay

Pretoria, South Africa
“Good for a quick bite”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Not really my style of restaurant, but I guess if one just want to go for a quick bite then it is ok.? It is liking buying take aways, but eat at in the shop. Service was friendly, but we waited a long time for our food.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice food no aircons”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

Food good but not consistent. Manager told me that i could not bring my own wine in as they now have a liquor license but all the other customers brought their own in. No aircon!

NY
“Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

Good for a quick sushi or thai, right in southdowns, ideally if you are shopping around,do not expect fancy or romantic ambience,

Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
“Good...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

It was ok I guess, can't complain about much, the sushi was really good but my green curry was disappointing (I think they just add water if you ask for medium spicy). No alcohol license so the waiter had to get drinks from CTFM but it was quick, not a problem. Bustling atmosphere inside which was cozy but not very romantic (not meant to be). Try this place for good asian food with friends.

• Visited June 2013
Simply A, Owner at Simply Asia Southdowns, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Hi Martin,

Thanks for visiting Simply Asia Southdowns. I'm sorry to hear about your disappointing experience with our green curry. All our dishes (with a red star) start out as mild, and then we add in chillies to increase the heat level to medium or hot. Please let us know when you visit us next and we'll go out of our way to make it up to you.

Manjush