“Out of this world”

Thornhill Safari Lodge
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed at Thornhill for 4 days in April, 2014. In every way my expectations were exceeded. What makes Thornhill one of the most special places on Earth is the staff. It ranks among the top places I would like to return to. To illustrate how amazing the staff is I'll share that I misplaced at least $1000 cash while staying there and upon my return to the lodge that evening I was handed every penny, which Chris and staff had dutifully collected and stored in the safe for me. Jayden, Chris, and Charmaine are all simply wonderful people. Stay here and you'll have memories for a lifetime.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Ed. I'm so pleased we exceeded your expectations and that you rated us so highly. I will certainly share your kind words with all the staff and on behalf of all of them thanks. I'm sure you know that we would love to see you again and I'm more especially pleased that we could show that even in todays hectic and turbulent world, without great staff nothing counts.Take care and stay in touch. Chris

There are newer reviews for Thornhill Safari Lodge

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Between the hospitality of Chris and Charmaine and the amazing skills of their barman, Jayden this really does feel like home away from home. All staff will go out of their way to do whatever they can to make your stay pleasant and the guides and drivers will do whatever they can to make sure you see whatever animals you need too.

My room was spacious, clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Cheers John. Likewise it was a lot of fun and I'm over the moon that we fulfilled your wildlife experience. Jayden and Charmaine were only saying what a pleasure it was having you stay with us and please come back as there is still so much more to do and see. Regards Chris

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I had a truly memorable stay at Thornhill safari lodge . Chris, Charmaine , Jayden ,& Danielle were the most wonderful hosts. They all bent over backwards to make my stay memorable. Meals were great around the fire & the beds were soft and comfortable . My room was exceptionally clean & the shower was wonderfully hot. Such a great place to visit

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

What a lovely review and thank you. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and I know all the staff miss you already. Sadly your visit was to short but I know that all the team would love you to come back. Travel safely and stay well, Regards Chris

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Many many thanks to Chris and Charmaine and all the staff. What a great night we spent with you. Just like visiting old friends. Did you ever find my ashtray? Naughty monkey!

Highly recommended. Extremely good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Sadly your ashtray hasn't turned up to date but I'm sure that it is not so far away You'll be pleased to know that the monkey's love it and has now set a precedence for the whole troop. Thanks for the review and next time your in the area or SA you must spend a little longer with us. Stay in touch. Chris

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We had four nights at Thornhill, and it was so great! Helpfull staff, really good food and the room was so comfortable. Chris (the manager) learned us everything (almost) that we needed to know about the area and the wildlife. The guides had so much knowledge as well. Wanna go back!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Julie, thanks for the review and by the way we all want you to come back. Thanks for staying with us and hopefully we'll see you again soon.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

For once I travelled with the other half and we had the most wonderful stay at Thornhill. This is a small lodge with about 12 rooms, so the staff can give a very personalised service. They are happy to organise game drives and sightseeing for you or happy to leave you to your own devices. We booked a 5 day package with a pick up in Joburg. The games drives in the neighbouring Thornybush reserve were great fun and we saw the Big Five first time out, second time we saw all but the elephants. We also had a whole day in the Kruger itself which was very different from Thornybush as everything is on a much bigger scale, you see herds or Zebra, Impala, Giraffes and Elephants rather than just the few on the smaller reserves.

Back the the lodge, the rooms are pleasant and clean, the bar is a fun place to meet fellow guests and the food is excellent. I have an allergy to milk and they bent over backwards to make sure I was able to eat well.

A big shout out to Charmaine, Jayden, Chris, Goodman, Isreal, Simon and all the behind the scenes staff who made our trip so much fun.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Thanks for "The big shout out", all my staff heard it and its appreciated. I'm so pleased that your stay with us was such fun and that you obviously enjoyed every aspect of your stay. Please stay in touch and maybe your'll come to to see us one day.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Me and my girlfriend went for the five day experience and what an experience it was. Chris, Charmaine and all the staff did an excellent job in catering for us. The food is really good, my girlfriend has a milk allergy and the staff went out of their way to cater for her, pointing out which food she could eat and even preparing special dishes for her. The game drives where excellent we saw two leopards on different occasions and the pure fun of crashing through the bush on the open top land rover was awesome! And thanks to Jayden for keeping our drinks topped up in the evenings! You know a place is good when you're sad to leave, thanks guys we'll be back!
Hamish & Louise

• Stayed: March 2014
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Thank you so much for the review and more importantly your comment that you had a great time and didn't want to leave. I'm over the moon that you wish to come back to Thornhill, Please stay in touch so that we can ensure you that we make your next visit even better.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoedspruit
Kapama Buffalo Camp
#27 of 104 in Hoedspruit
Ngama Tented Safari Lodge
Ngama Tented Safari Lodge
#28 of 104 in Hoedspruit

Been to Thornhill Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!