“Heavenly awesome.”

Thornhill Safari Lodge
Tremelo, Belgie
“Heavenly awesome.”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed two nights at the Thornhill Safari Lodge and were sad to leave. Such a great place to stay. We had some trouble finding it, due to an incomplete roadbook description, and my GPS lost the track when we reached the dirt-roads that leads to this paradise. Mind you, a 4x4 will surely proof it's use on these roads.
The staff and general manager were extremely kind and welcoming.The setting of the Lodge is just marvellous, with a nice swimming pool (the staff was astonished that we took a little dive in the pool during winter. I admit, the water was freezing (ok, 15°), but the weather was great, so ...
Meals are served when the cook plays the african drums installed in the garden. Lots of choices at breakfast, dinners also with a few different dishes, type-of-all you can eat style, but delicious !
The General Manager and his staff is very helpfull, and we had some fine conversations after the Thornhill Safari Lodge "braai" (BBQ in SA). I would have liked to stay longer, but new adventures were awaiting. I surely won't mind going back there in the future.
We did a morning bush-walk with Nelly, and that was just incredible. He showed us how to recognise the different sand in the tracks (kind of scary to find leopard tracks only 15m away from your bedroom), lots of stuff about local use of herbs and plants. We also spotted some giraffes, impala's and warthogs. Really a recommendable tour. We also did and afternoon safari that ended with a drink on an open spot in the bush, the best sunset-experience ever.
Overall: 5-star +

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
What an "awesome" review to which we are most grateful. I'm so pleased that you had a great time and sincerely hope that the remainder of your trip was as successful and that South Africa will be blessed with your return one day.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at Thornhill Safari Lodge for five days and it was awesome. From the great surroundings to the amazing food this place is tops. The staff go way beyond their job specs and are headed up by Chris the manager (get him to talk after dinner about the Kruger and all the wildlife and you'll be mesmerised, even better if you get him as a guide). They are all just great, nothing is to much trouble and its like they have all known you for ever. The place just has something so special that you really don't want to leave. We travelled all round South Africa and this was by far the absolute highlight of our holiday. Well done to you all and we will come back.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, overlooking the pool is cool and we saw wildlife all around the place
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Thank you for such a wonderful review. I will let all the staff see this as I know they will be pleased you had such a good time. Drop us a mail when you plan to return and we'll put another exciting holiday together. Until then travel safely and stay in touch.
Reviewed 25 July 2014

From the moment that you arrive at the Lodge, where you are greeted at the entrance with a smiling face and a refreshing drink, you feel as if you are their most special and welcomed guest. The staff are friendly, efficient and knowledgeable about the environs. The food was unpretentious and delicious. All in all, I had a wonderful, relaxing and fantastic time at the lodge and in the environs.

Room Tip: I was in a chalet overlooking the pool. In the summer, I think an air-conditioned room would be ide...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you for the review. It always gives us all great pleasure being able to share our beautiful environment with our guests and I am pleased that you found this so and it goes without saying that if you're ever back in the area come and see us again.
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

On behalf of all of my family members I would like to thank Chris and his team for their efforts to make our stay memorable. The place is a little piece of heaven safely hidden in a bush paradise. The tranquil friendly ambiance and the bushwalk with Nelly deserve extra credits. We loved it!!!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Mayajuh
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
On behalf of all my staff thank you for the review and we are all so pleased you had such a wonderful time in our "little piece of heaven". We eagerly await your return someday!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Thornhill last year with some friends. The two safaris that we went on were unforgettable experiences! We were able to see all of the Big 5 and our safari guide was super informative and had a great personality, we really loved our time with him. The food was delicious and the rooms were clean and quaint. Just what we were looking for!
Unfortunately, our walking safari was canceled as our rooms were robbed the night before. We had paid for 3 safaris, but were not able to obtain reimbursement for the 3rd. Thornhill was super nice and said they would pay for our hotel the next night in Johannesburg, as we had no money or identification, but after months of battles after returning to the states, we ended up paying for it ourselves. Thornhill also emailed us upon our return to the states saying they found some of our stolen items and would return them, however, we never saw our items again.
Would I recommend you not stay at Thornhill? Not necessarily. Until we were robbed it was a wonderful experience! I would just recommend that you keep everything of value on your person at all times, and if anything tragic happens, don't take their word on anything.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Xelashay
Thank you for the review to which I duly note all the contents both good and bad. I would like to mention that I feel your comments regarding our handling of the incident are a little unjust. This was an unfortunate one-off incident committed by an outside party and I believe that we actually went above and beyond to assist you and your friends. Events such as these can happen anywhere in the world and are obviously traumatic, ultimately always tarnishing any overall experience. I can only reiterate how genuinely sorry we all were that it happened. It is always easy a year later with hindsight to cast aspersions but I stand by our actions at the time and how we subsequently handled the situation.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Our trip to Thornhill was amazing!
The side trips to Kruger national park, the Drakensburg ranges, the private safaris were all wonderful.
The guides were informative, friendly, polite and really tried to put you in the right spot at the right time.
The staff at the lodge were all super friendly, helpful and all round amazing!
We did a trip to the Moholoholo wildlife rehabilitation centre, which I would not do again. It was horrifying to hear the plight of the wild animals, and the destruction of both them and their habitats, and it was great to be able to see a wild dog, and pat a cheetah - but once was enough.
Whereas seeing a 3 week old Rhino, lions and giraffes wild was exhilarating!
Thornhill is a really relaxing place to hang out, and offers some fabulous tours.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rowena C
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you staying at Thornhill and for taking the time to compile a review, I'm pleased that you had a "fabulous" time with us and I will pass on your comments to all the staff and guides whom I know had a great time with you guys..
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed for three days and had a great time with exceptional service and a relaxing place with adventures around the corner! The food was god, the room was cute and the staff made you feel welcome and made my stay the best. There is a lot of things to do and the distance (like for the panorama tour) is not a problem. If you book directly through them there is even more to do. I think the 4 days program was good but I would definitely recommend to stay for more days because there is much to see and can be nice to just relax and hang by the pool and reed a book or something for an afternoon.

• Stayed June 2014
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for your comments. You right in pointing out that visitors need to stay longer as there is most certainly much to do and experience but sadly many travellers have a limited time so we try to encompass as much as we can in the short time we have. Perhaps you will come back to finish off the experience.