“Fantastic Intimate Camp”

Camp Jabulani
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Fantastic Intimate Camp”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

Really great luxury intimate camp located within the Kapama Private Game Reserve. Fantastic food and staff. Very relaxed and everything is at the guests request. All inclusive property (All meals, drinks and activities)
Tip: Be sure to meet Jabulani the elephant and do the elephant interaction and ride - an experience of a lifetime!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Monet T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

I cannot overstate how wonderful this place is. The accommodations are beyond first class; the food is as well. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. Camp Jabulani exceeds any expectations you could ask for in a resort hotel - but it happens to be located in the middle of zebra, lions and elephants. If you are looking for a top-notch experience on safari, this is it.

Room Tip: We stayed in the family villa - it comfortably fits a large family and is very private.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Elena J
Kansas City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

My 18-year-old son and I were fortunate enough to stay at Camp Jabulani last week. I cannot say enough GOOD stuff about it. So, first, the SAFARIS -- every time we thought we had seen just about everything and learned what we could learn, something new happened! Baby elephants chasing off sleeping lions, giraffe fighting, a puf adder in the road, etc. JP was an awesome ranger!! The ELEPHANTS. How cool. We learned so much and the rides were really peaceful. It was fun putting the elephants to bed, etc. It was even more fun watching the elephnats play at the watering holes each afternoon. The ENDANGERED SPECIES CENTER. As Camp Jabulani guests, we had special treatment at the Center. We watched vlutures and storks being fed at the "vulture restaurant" (mayhem). We watched wild dogs ripping their food. And, we got to pet a cheetah. The FOOD. Are you kidding me? Amazing. So much of it. The cold breakfast spread BEFORE the hot breakfast was beautiful and delicious. Andre's cooking and tasting menus were to die for... The "Sundowner" cocktail stop was fabulous. Etc. The ROOM. Gorgeous. Classy. Comfortable. Many books available for you to read. A fireplace. An infinity pool. Great shower. Plenty of room for unpacking your things. Couldn't ask for more. I will be going back!!!! NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank LegalKC1
in MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

This is heaven on earth- the personal attention, range of activities and unusual encounters make for an uncomparable visit. The staff made me feel totally welcome and comfortable. All of my questions were answered and although I had done some reading and research beforehand, I learned more than i thought I would. Respect and ethics come first when the staff deals with both the guests and animals which I really appreciated. Roo was my guide-always professional and very knowledgeable. The elephant-back safaris are really special and every ride is different. The staff will arrange whatever you like such as a hot air balloon ride and you can enjoy it knowing you are dealing with the best.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank K C
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

My husband and I had the privilege of staying in The Zindoga Villa for 5 nights in October 2011. I find myself daydreaming about my precious time at Jabulani and the adjectives that I consider, "marvelous, amazing, etc" just don't do enough justice for this property.

I chose Camp Jabulani as I absolutely love animals, especially elephants. The history behind the camp also was a big draw for me. I unfortunately did not get to meet Lente Roode, the founder of Camp Jabulani during our visit, but hope to on our next visit. I have tremendous admiration for her and all that she does for the animals.

It was a pleasure to meet the Jabulani staff. Every person I encountered seemed to enjoy his/her job and were totally pleasant. Our villa was just extraordinary. There were 3 plush bedrooms that were beautifully decorated, a lovely sitting/dining area and 2 plunge pools. Having our own staff and own vehicle made the stay even more dreamy. Ray and Dave were awesome and lots of fun! I will never forget when they took us to track lions in the evening.

Things to know/Improvements: You will see power lines while on the safari, but that did not spoil Jabulani for me. Plunge pool was freezing in October, so we didn't use it. Elephant-back safaris happen only during certain hours of the day/early evening.

Elephants: I was in love! Having seen how terribly mistreated they are in many parts of Asia, it was a relief to spend time with the Jabulani herd. The staff take great care of them and it was fun to see the various elephant personalities. Jabulani was mischievous as he took my mother-in-law's sunglass case and tried to eat it upon meeting her. My husband and I still laugh as we think of the elephant handler repeatedly saying, "Jabu stop." Sebakwe was my favorite to ride and the most majestic. The herd seemed happy and I never was concerned about my safety. The handlers seemed to know their animals.

I could write a novel about this place, but will stop here as the other reviews you read pretty much sum this place up as an incredible destination. I can't wait to return with my family when my children are old enough to endure the flights.

Thank you to Carl, Esmaralda, Ray, Dave, Adele, Lente Roode, Issac, Chere, Elsie, Chantal, etc for the time of our lives! Camp Jabulani was a little bit of Heaven on Earth for me.

Hope to see you all in the near future!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah M
Torbay, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

Not a lot to add to the already fantastic reviews. The chef, Andre has the most amazing eggs Benedict Ever. The Elephant safari is not only exciting, and educational, but completely relaxing. The staff are wonderful and Steve our guide was brilliant, knowledgable and charming. The suites are nothing short of perfect and the bed is so very comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

We stayed 3 nights, two days at this property and we quickly learned that the real point of this place is the elephants. The rooms are absolutely beautiful and the decor in the lodge is British Colonial. And the chef did an excellent job of preparing amazing meals for us. I have to say the game drives in the Land Rover were pretty darn bumpy (we felt beat up at the end of a game drive) but I'm still giving this a rating of 5 because of the elephants. Riding the elephants over the reserve both before and after sundowners was just magical. Don't count on seeing lions, leopards or cape buffalo here but just enjoy the experience of riding the elephants and then petting the cheetah at the endangered species center. (They purr!) I would say this a great place if you are also going to another property but don't have this as your only game reserve. And then just enjoy the elephants.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TheScarlett
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoedspruit
Kapama River Lodge
#1 of 15 in Klaserie Private Game Reserve
Motswari Private Game Reserve
Motswari Private Game Reserve
#1 of 17 in Timbavati Private Nature Reserve

Been to Camp Jabulani? Share your experiences!