“Wheelchair user friendly.”

Tshukudu Game Lodge
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We had the pleasure of spending three wonderful nights at this beautiful reserve last month and we were made so welcome. The staff were very helpful and our accommodation was absolutely gorgeous. As my husband is disabled we needed plenty of space and we were not disappointed. The bathroom was the best we've ever seen and had been very well planned and designed. The food was delicious!! I would certainly recommend this lovely place for anyone, not just a wheelchair user. We were sorry to leave there.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew M, General Manager at Tshukudu Game Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you for placing this review of our facility. The provision of facilities for our disabled guests is something that we are indeed proud of and our staff will certainly go that extra mile to see that all of your requirements are met. To hear that you were well looked after is indeed good news to us in Management and I will certainly pass on your message to the staff. We look forward to your next visit soon

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

My partner got me this trip for my 50th Birthday and I have to say it was the best present ever. Tshukudu was everything I expected and much much more! From the moment we arrive we were made to feel most welcome, and nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff. Our guide, Matt, was really lovely and shared his wealth of knowledge every step if the way. The morning walks were tremendous, although we didn't walk with the cheetahs, Neeri the Caracal joined us which was just as much fun. However whilst we were there we had some very close contact with the cheetahs, and they actually made a kill when we were there and they allowed us to share their glory by letting us photogragh them as they ate. That was one of the highlights of my stay. I could go on and on about this place, but you need to go and experience it yourself, would highly recommend. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank dazzlin_di
Andrew M, General Manager at Tshukudu Game Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

It was great fun having you visit with us and to share this special milestone with you. Tshukudu is a special place and with the support of our Guests and my Staff I am confident that your next visit will be just as memorable.
Thank you for placing this review and I assure you that I will pass your comments onto Matt and the staff.
Until we see you again stay safe and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have been to Tsukudu and was really disappointed about it. Have been there a few years a go and then really enjoyed it, so when visiting Hoedspruit, I really wanted to go back. But unfortunately it became a little bit of a disappointment.

We came for the morningwalk with the cheetah's, but did not see any cheetah at all (of any other animal). Guides did not even try to see something, we just walked through the bush with a few demotivated guides.

Happily breakfast was still good, but this was the only good thing about our visit.

Seems like Tdukudu has had their best times, because I have heard of more people who had the same experience. Would definitely not recommend you to go to Tsukudu when visiting Hoedspruit.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 580Ann

Thank you for placing this review. We welcome all feedback from our visitors, be it good or bad.
I am disappointed that your experience was not what you were expecting. The Cheetahs that walk with the Guests in the morning are wild animals and are not always "on song" - they also have their off days.
We are in the process of revamping a number of things here at Tshukudu (infrastructure, staff skills training etc) and I am confident that on your next visit you will see the results of the changes in progress.
Once again I thank you and look forward to seeing you folks again in the near future

Reviewed 10 April 2014

OK, if you expect honeymoon style accommodation, this is the wrong place. My spouse and I went for our 12th anniversary. Had it just been about the accommodation, you might be a little on the short side in buying brownie points for the anniversary night. Don't get me wrong; Everything is practical, and neat, and all the necessities and amenities are there. But hey, you don't go here to stay indoors....!!!
What totally overwhelmed the two of us, was the staff friendliness and accommodating nature. From arrival through the kitchen and cleaning staff. Majority of the management are family or related, which makes you feel you're visiting a family.
Now; If you like eating.... The dinners in the boma, I will return just for that. The variety and unique dishes prepared and served, from the mains, through the veggies, salads and deserts. Man, I will go back for this any time.
The trackers are very knowledgeable, and know their backyard. I have not encountered many places where you will be asked what you want to see, and you get to see it. And not how; Armed with my phd ("press-here-dummy") camera was in most cases hanging of the opposite side of the game viewing vehicle, just to get further away from the game, toe enable it to fit in the camera frame. Just having head-and-shoulder portraits was thus a breeze..... Seeing the big-5 was like seeing Jo'burg taxis driving in the emergency lane. Almost becoming boring.
Then they have these "mak" (tame) cheetahs. Received as baby orphans, and raised at home. Boy what a site they are, the two brothers and a sister. We got to do an early morning walk with the girl amongst us. This was like going for a walk with your dog. What you have to keep in mind (focus) is that this is and remains a cat. Cats play different than dogs. When dogs play, they run around like crazy and you can see what they are up to. When the missus plays, she stalks and charges..... So if you first and natural instinct, as driven from the base of your cranium, is to run like hell when you get a fright..... Well, then this is not the walk I would suggest. But fun it was. Nike (ok, "Just Do it !" for those nodding off). Seeing how easily they (cheetah) disappear, melting away in the grass, just to emerge right where you would not even think to look. Creation at its best.
Visiting this camp, is really about getting close to nature. Jaaaa, the eating and sleeping is also important, I agree. But the stuff the rangers shows out to you, and teaches you to look out for, and to listen for. Boy this was like free schooling ! (hey, take special note when the ranger says stuff like "...do not touch her feet..." or "..he does not like you rubbing his belly...", unless you have faster reflexes than Chuck. Else you might get to do with the sharp side of the beast)
Then there is this Caracal, emerging casually every evening. At first you'd think it is house-cat, strolling around, lounging around at its favorite spots. Even playing and toying with a beetle crossing its path... This girl decided to watch the whole of the Sharks Super-14 game with me, nudging my hand for more scratching. And then finally; as cats are:- sensing the rugby game is a lost cause, abruptly getting up, giving the front leg a lick or two (as if to point out that you missed "this" spot) and then disappearing into the dark, just meters away.
On our stay, the weather was cool in the morning, and quite hot in the late afternoon. From the breakfast/afternoon-tea/tv area, you walk onto an island of relaxation, shade and pool-chairs. The slope of the terrain, allows the design to such that the far side of this island is about a meter (walled) higher than the natural ground. So, when you're in the water, you have this feeling of the pool's edge being in the bush.
I dived in, seeking escape from the late afternoon 36+ degrees. Boy, the mind is slow when in shock. The first thought was that how the heck do they keep the water from not freezing, when the water temperature is well below -20 degrees. My wife's "are you ok?!" snapped me back to consciousness, and I forced myself to attempt breathing. Holding your breath makes the water less cold, doesn't it. Anyway, a minute later I was dolphin'ing around and enjoying the refreshing escape from "Spikes" (the sun).

And then suddenly it was over. Who adjusted the clock ?! Nooooooooo...

Man, how I long to go back !

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Charles_Scalliet
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

The morning walk we had with friends was very disappointing. Not because we didn't see any animals but because the rangers we not clear. We didn't feel welcome and we had know idea of the program, There were no cheetah's, and the rangers not guided us well. They give us not the idea that we were guests. Overall we had no good feeling about our walk and uninterested guide and interesting.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank PimDouw
Andrew M, General Manager at Tshukudu Game Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Thank you for placing this review. I have checked our records and I do not seem to be able to establish that you were in fact booked in here with us? Please get in touch with me so that I can follow this up with you as soon as possible. My email address is gm@tshukudulodge.co.za

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Tshukudu Game Lodge was one of my best times in South Africa. All staff there is very friendly - we have been welcomed by the friendly and always smiling guard by the main gate and then we recieved two complimentry drinks at our arrival in the main camp.
We have had a great time, the accomodation was always clean, staff always helpfull. Enjoyed the game drive with Stephan very much, he always explained everything and always stoped even for a turtle on the road! He does his work with a passion!
Would definitely recomment and wish we can come back, really enjoyed our time there.
Food was also great!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Andrew M, General Manager at Tshukudu Game Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Thank you for your review and your kind comments. Our staff are important to us and it is pleasing to hear that they lived up to your expectations. Visit again soon - our staff await

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I must admit that Tshukudu was disappointing on some levels. The accommodation we stayed in was brand new and comfortable with good air conditioning. What I did not like was the location which was right next to a scruffy farmhouse/ yard with a fenced in enclosure with a serval pacing up and down. Not exactly what I expected of a 'game lodge'... The rest of the accommodation units were very mismatched and they all looked different. Our first game drive was good in terms of sightings as we got pretty close to some white rhino, giraffe and buffalo which was lovely. We also saw the two cheetah which were just outside of the lodge fence but not feeling very social that day. Our guide did not seem 100% happy with working at Tshukudu as he conveyed the idea that he did not completely agree with the owners and management policies in terms of wildlife management and habituation. I questioned him a few times about what Tshukudu was trying to achieve as well as asking him general questions about the wildlife but he did not seem very sure of himself or the story he should be telling us. Dinner that evening was in the boma and the food was homely but good. Early the next morning we were to go on a walk with the two resident cheetah. Our guide walked us to their enclosure where one of them was eventually coerced out to join us. We followed the cheetah to the owners house and this is where the guide got extremely uncomfortable and confessed that the male cheetah was looking for his sister who was the owners pet. The male cheetah went through the flimsy fence and starting patrolling the garden and calling to her. The female cheetah came out and then the male ran to attack her! The guide was by this time screaming and shouting at the male to try to get him away. He picked up a stick and was beating the ground behind the cheetah to get him to stop! It was very traumatic and upsetting to watch as screams and curses were thrown around! Eventually our guide called for back-up and the owner and one other guy arrived with a whip. They cracked the whip repeatedly (did not hit the cheetah though) and eventually got the female back into their back yard. We ended up leaving to go on a walk without the male but by this time I was very ready to go home! We walked towards a diesel water pump where a buffalo bull was lying in the shade next to the pump. Our guide thought it a great idea for us to stalk the buffalo and we crawled up to within a few meters of him! Definitely not the conservation experience I was hoping for!! We got back to the lodge for brunch and it seemed odd to me that the largest table in the dining room was for the staff!! We also had to queue up behind a long line of staff members at the buffet which was a different kind of attitude I had not come across in any other lodge before.
In a nutshell I left wondering what was the aim Tshukudu was going for. They call themselves a 'game lodge' but they are definitely not. We met a caracal that wondered around the lodge area but also heard about a leopard and some wild dogs in enclosures. There was no mention of rehabilitation or any conservation work that was being done. I feel for them to be successful they need to get their guides onto the same 'team' as the owners - what are we about and what message should we convey to our guests??
We did meet two sets of repeat guests who very obviously loved the place so I guess it appeals to a certain market. It is unfortunately not a lodge I would return to or feel comfortable recommending to anyone else.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank AntsOnTheRoad
Andrew M, General Manager at Tshukudu Game Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Thank you for placing this review of our facility. Tshukudu Game Lodge is world renown for the programs related to orphaned and abandoned wildlife animals and where possible their successful relocation back into the wild. However this is not the primary focus of our establishment which remains a Lodge facility whereby our Guests are able to experience the Big Five in a location ideally suited to this.
I am saddened to hear that your experience was not what you expected and I invite you to get in touch with me at the Lodge so that we may engage each other to ensure that your next visit is what you expect.
Kind Regards
ANDREW

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoedspruit
Kapama River Lodge
#28 of 103 in Hoedspruit
African Rock Lodge
African Rock Lodge
#1 of 103 in Hoedspruit

Been to Tshukudu Game Lodge? Share your experiences!