“Tshukudu Lodge review”

Tshukudu Game Lodge
Hillcrest, South Africa
“Tshukudu Lodge review”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Thankyou to al the management and ream for such a wonderful stay at your lodge.
On arrival we were given a most welcome cocktail and greeted by a cheetah, what more could we ask for.
The game rangers were particularly helpful, led by Deon who made sure we captured amazing images.
I would recommend Tshukudu anytime.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Andrew M, General Manager at Tshukudu Game Lodge, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for placing this review. Yes our Rangers are a great bunch and we are indeed pleased with the way the Team looks after their Guests. I will certainly pass on your messages to them. Keep safe and we look forward to seeing you again soon
ANDREW

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Hebrew first
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Tshukudu was just the experience I was looking for, 4 full days looking for and experiencing South Africa's abundant, varied and exotic animal and birdlife. The rangers were great, very knowledgeable and passionate about nature like me and were well able to answer my barrage of questions. The lodge provided excellent service, fine meals, friendly accommodating staff and comfort. The days were full but relaxing. Two out of 3 mornings we were accompanied by the Cheetahs which was lovely, especially knowing that it was their choice to show up only if they felt like it. Great place to photograph a broad selection of birds and mammals. Also very reasonably priced. I would most certainly recommend the Tshukudu experience and encourage people to appreciate all the other species (big and small) in addition to the big 5. I'm sure I will return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

It was great having you visit with us and I am sure that we will see you again soon. Thank you for placing this review and I will be sure to pass on your comments to our staff. Keep safe and we look forward to seeing you again soon
Brisbane
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was my second time staying at Tshukudu, reason I went back a second time is because I had such a great experience first time around. With 6 years between visits I was happy to see that the place had become even better. The rooms were perfect, without being too over the top (you are in the Kruger after all so you dont want to feel like you're in the middle of a city), food was amazing especially at night when sitting around the fire, the game drives of a morning and afternoon were sensational. I was lucky enough to have the Grandson of the original owners/builders of Tshukudu, Richard, drive us around, he knew the place like the back of his hand and was a wealth of information. To top it off the two male Cheetahs that hang around the camp are absolutely amazing, if you're lucky they'll even tag along on the morning walks with you!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for placing this review of our facility. Our return Guests are special and we look forward to welcoming you back many more times. Yes our Cheetahs are special and I am indeed pleased that they did not disappoint. Have a great day and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We had the pleasure of spending three wonderful nights at this beautiful reserve last month and we were made so welcome. The staff were very helpful and our accommodation was absolutely gorgeous. As my husband is disabled we needed plenty of space and we were not disappointed. The bathroom was the best we've ever seen and had been very well planned and designed. The food was delicious!! I would certainly recommend this lovely place for anyone, not just a wheelchair user. We were sorry to leave there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew M, General Manager at Tshukudu Game Lodge, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for placing this review of our facility. The provision of facilities for our disabled guests is something that we are indeed proud of and our staff will certainly go that extra mile to see that all of your requirements are met. To hear that you were well looked after is indeed good news to us in Management and I will certainly pass on your message to the staff. We look forward to your next visit soon
West Lothian
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

My partner got me this trip for my 50th Birthday and I have to say it was the best present ever. Tshukudu was everything I expected and much much more! From the moment we arrive we were made to feel most welcome, and nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff. Our guide, Matt, was really lovely and shared his wealth of knowledge every step if the way. The morning walks were tremendous, although we didn't walk with the cheetahs, Neeri the Caracal joined us which was just as much fun. However whilst we were there we had some very close contact with the cheetahs, and they actually made a kill when we were there and they allowed us to share their glory by letting us photogragh them as they ate. That was one of the highlights of my stay. I could go on and on about this place, but you need to go and experience it yourself, would highly recommend. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank dazzlin_di
Andrew M, General Manager at Tshukudu Game Lodge, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
It was great fun having you visit with us and to share this special milestone with you. Tshukudu is a special place and with the support of our Guests and my Staff I am confident that your next visit will be just as memorable.
Thank you for placing this review and I assure you that I will pass your comments onto Matt and the staff.
Until we see you again stay safe and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Benschop, The Netherlands
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have been to Tsukudu and was really disappointed about it. Have been there a few years a go and then really enjoyed it, so when visiting Hoedspruit, I really wanted to go back. But unfortunately it became a little bit of a disappointment.

We came for the morningwalk with the cheetah's, but did not see any cheetah at all (of any other animal). Guides did not even try to see something, we just walked through the bush with a few demotivated guides.

Happily breakfast was still good, but this was the only good thing about our visit.

Seems like Tdukudu has had their best times, because I have heard of more people who had the same experience. Would definitely not recommend you to go to Tsukudu when visiting Hoedspruit.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 580Ann
Thank you for placing this review. We welcome all feedback from our visitors, be it good or bad.
I am disappointed that your experience was not what you were expecting. The Cheetahs that walk with the Guests in the morning are wild animals and are not always "on song" - they also have their off days.
We are in the process of revamping a number of things here at Tshukudu (infrastructure, staff skills training etc) and I am confident that on your next visit you will see the results of the changes in progress.
Once again I thank you and look forward to seeing you folks again in the near future
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 10 April 2014

OK, if you expect honeymoon style accommodation, this is the wrong place. My spouse and I went for our 12th anniversary. Had it just been about the accommodation, you might be a little on the short side in buying brownie points for the anniversary night. Don't get me wrong; Everything is practical, and neat, and all the necessities and amenities are there. But hey, you don't go here to stay indoors....!!!
What totally overwhelmed the two of us, was the staff friendliness and accommodating nature. From arrival through the kitchen and cleaning staff. Majority of the management are family or related, which makes you feel you're visiting a family.
Now; If you like eating.... The dinners in the boma, I will return just for that. The variety and unique dishes prepared and served, from the mains, through the veggies, salads and deserts. Man, I will go back for this any time.
The trackers are very knowledgeable, and know their backyard. I have not encountered many places where you will be asked what you want to see, and you get to see it. And not how; Armed with my phd ("press-here-dummy") camera was in most cases hanging of the opposite side of the game viewing vehicle, just to get further away from the game, toe enable it to fit in the camera frame. Just having head-and-shoulder portraits was thus a breeze..... Seeing the big-5 was like seeing Jo'burg taxis driving in the emergency lane. Almost becoming boring.
Then they have these "mak" (tame) cheetahs. Received as baby orphans, and raised at home. Boy what a site they are, the two brothers and a sister. We got to do an early morning walk with the girl amongst us. This was like going for a walk with your dog. What you have to keep in mind (focus) is that this is and remains a cat. Cats play different than dogs. When dogs play, they run around like crazy and you can see what they are up to. When the missus plays, she stalks and charges..... So if you first and natural instinct, as driven from the base of your cranium, is to run like hell when you get a fright..... Well, then this is not the walk I would suggest. But fun it was. Nike (ok, "Just Do it !" for those nodding off). Seeing how easily they (cheetah) disappear, melting away in the grass, just to emerge right where you would not even think to look. Creation at its best.
Visiting this camp, is really about getting close to nature. Jaaaa, the eating and sleeping is also important, I agree. But the stuff the rangers shows out to you, and teaches you to look out for, and to listen for. Boy this was like free schooling ! (hey, take special note when the ranger says stuff like "...do not touch her feet..." or "..he does not like you rubbing his belly...", unless you have faster reflexes than Chuck. Else you might get to do with the sharp side of the beast)
Then there is this Caracal, emerging casually every evening. At first you'd think it is house-cat, strolling around, lounging around at its favorite spots. Even playing and toying with a beetle crossing its path... This girl decided to watch the whole of the Sharks Super-14 game with me, nudging my hand for more scratching. And then finally; as cats are:- sensing the rugby game is a lost cause, abruptly getting up, giving the front leg a lick or two (as if to point out that you missed "this" spot) and then disappearing into the dark, just meters away.
On our stay, the weather was cool in the morning, and quite hot in the late afternoon. From the breakfast/afternoon-tea/tv area, you walk onto an island of relaxation, shade and pool-chairs. The slope of the terrain, allows the design to such that the far side of this island is about a meter (walled) higher than the natural ground. So, when you're in the water, you have this feeling of the pool's edge being in the bush.
I dived in, seeking escape from the late afternoon 36+ degrees. Boy, the mind is slow when in shock. The first thought was that how the heck do they keep the water from not freezing, when the water temperature is well below -20 degrees. My wife's "are you ok?!" snapped me back to consciousness, and I forced myself to attempt breathing. Holding your breath makes the water less cold, doesn't it. Anyway, a minute later I was dolphin'ing around and enjoying the refreshing escape from "Spikes" (the sun).

And then suddenly it was over. Who adjusted the clock ?! Nooooooooo...

Man, how I long to go back !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Charles_Scalliet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoedspruit
Kapama River Lodge
#2 of 21 in Balule Nature Reserve
Unembeza Boutique Lodge
Unembeza Boutique Lodge
#5 of 104 in Hoedspruit

Been to Tshukudu Game Lodge? Share your experiences!