“Disappointed”

Raptor's Lodge Hoedspruit
Berwick-upon-Tweed, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Arrived as expected. Note on office door. Office closed. No check in. Cleaner told us key was in the door. Went in rooms ok and clean. Went into the outside area and immediately felt hemmed in. The bush was in your face and right up to the patio area. Not impressed with extra costs for having bed linen , towels etc changed. Stayed seven nights.

Room Tip: Check things have improved before you travel. There is NO game at this place. Swimming pool was rea...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Hope Island, Australia
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We recently stayed at Raptors lodge for one night only. The accomodation is clean and spacious and well equipped if you do want to cook. There are nice restaurants very close. My only complaint is there was no hair dryer, I cannot believe a 4 star establishment does not supply hair dryers. We were on our way to a game lodge where they do supply them so I didnt bring one and found this very inconvenient, not for a minute did I think they wouldnt have, most hotels and self catering I have stayed at has them. Would still go back tho.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Ballitoville, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Reviewed 15 February 2013

We stayed here quite a while ago but came across the photo's I had taken whilst there and just thought to share my experience of Raptors lodge in Hoedspruit.

It was my first time going to the Kruger national park so we decided to find a lodge close to the gate.

We managed to stay in a room that was made to accommodate 4 people, however we were only 2 and we were not charged extra for this privilage!

My only advice to someone like me who was not too familiar to the bush, take doom! if you are not too afraid of spiders then you should be fine, but all in all the rooms really grab the outdoor experience but still providing you with those much needed luxuries.

The outdoor shower was a unique experience as we received a visit from a scorpion who scurried away in a hurry when the shower was turned on, I am sharing a few photo's I took whilst there and I really do recommend Raptors Lodge to anyone!

Room Tip: You must have a room with an outdoor shower!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Stayed for four nights but would need so much longer to get in all the activities available locally. Lodge is self catering although there is an excellent bar/restaurant within safe walking distance. If you do want to cook the kitchen was exceptionally well equipped and there is also a braii area. Small clean communal pool on site. Ask for a lodge by the fence. We had game wander by on a couple of evenings.

• Stayed January 2013
Dudelange, Luxembourg
Reviewed 6 September 2012

On a business trip in March2012 I came to stay at Raptors Lodge.
In all honesty this is not so much a Lodge, it is rather more a bungalow rental place, or at least this was my impression. It did not bother me at first as I was there for work, but it being advertised as a Lodge I did expect something different to what I got.

The maintenance level was low, Mosquito netting was damaged, Air-con did not work in my room, light bulbs were missing in some fittings.
Hygiene was minimal, general surfaces were dusty, some sticky. I had a collection of dead bugs on top of my mosquito netting above my bed.
I believe the cleaning lady that came around just did the dishes emptied the bins and occasionally made a bed.

There had been devastating floods just before I stayed there so the water that came out the taps was brown, which can happen but I thought that at least there would be a filter installed.

As mentioned beds seemed to be made every other day. The air-conditioning unit in my room did not work and a colleague of mine ended up organizing our own fans as nothing was done about it.

The bungalows had their own braii (barbecue) area and a cool deck at the back and their own front parking which was a ... plus.

Out door showers were cool - except that when I stayed there, they were more like a fake tan dispenser unit due to the brown red water.

I did not deal with management as the units were rented through a 3rd party.
Apparently a big discount was imparted on the unit I stayed in, which could possibly explain why so little care was taken to clean or maintain it.

I would only recommend this place for a stop over not a prolonged stay.
Make sure you have a backup toilet roll if you do stay longer.
Also make sure you lock the doors when you leave. Security was slack.

You are close to a few restaurants of which one turns into a nightclub on Fridays, so if you are young used to backpackers and into partying with the local Afrikaaners this'd be it. Make sure you get a discount though.

I did read a previous review here which said it feels like home away from home. All I can say to that comment is: Sure it does, ...but only after you spent a couple of days cleaning the place out and repairing everything yourself, just like you would at home.

Room Tip: All units seem to be similar bungalows.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Centurion, South Africa
Reviewed 7 April 2012

It was arranged during my booking that I should go to unit 16, after I unpacked I listened to my voicemail ( my phone was off during the flight and I spent the ride to Raptors chatting with my friend whom I haven't seen in ages). I was informed to go to another unit. I phoned the number left on the answering machine and informed them Im not moving now. I, but they had problems with clean linen. My bed looked made up ready for a guest? There was no toiletries, no hairdryer and only one bedlamp worked. The bedlamp at the dressing table also did not work. I was not given clean towels, even though I had to bath in brown water. The place may be in a beautiful area, tastefully decorated, but it lacks the finer touches you expect from a 4 star graded guest lodge. Apparently it is not a requirement for 4 star grading to have a hairdryer.
I was given a significant discount on check out. Did not help that I was inconvenienced.

• Stayed March 2012
Vryburg, South Africa
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Beautiful, comfortble, closer to most tourist attractions in limpopo and mpumalanga and just feels like home away from home.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple