We stayed three nights which gave us access to six game drives and loved the experience! The thatched roof huts were spacious, clean and had a great outdoor shower - no bugs anywhere! Each "camp" at Makalali has six huts and our camp ate as a group. Our tasty meals were delightfully prepared by Alice and our site manager was Edward who made sure our needs were met. (Be advised that you will need to buy your bottled water for meals and you may need to forewarn Alice if you like lots of coffee in the morning - we went through a number of those small pots they use). Our driver and spotter, Marvel and Godlove respectively, were fabulous at leading our safari game drives. The reserve has a bush (jungle) feel and it was amazing to experience Marvel's skill at driving deep into the bush to see the lions, water buffalo, rhinos and elephants up close. This is the benefit of a private game reserve rather than a national park where you must stay on the main trails. We found that it seemed to take about 90-minutes before we got to a "big" animal viewing - it's amazing they can generally keep track of where the big animals are roaming/eating on any given day but it takes time to find them! It's good to be able to experience different types of African terrain and approaches to game drives. We also really appreciated knowing about the "Pack for a Purpose" opportunity where we could donate school and health supplies to needy groups through the Makalali team. It was easy to pack a small bag of items at home and leave them at the camp.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Makalali Private Game Lodge is a 4 star graded luxury safari lodge situated on a 26000 hectre private game reserve in the Limpopo Province of South Africa. The lodge consists of 3 camps with 6 rooms per camp. Nestled on the banks of a river one can often view animals in and around the camps. Makalali Private Game Lodge offers game drive twice a day to guests which is included in the rate of accommodation. The reserve is home to the big 5 as well as cheetah and wild dog and a number of other plains game and mammals. Over 250 species of birds have been recorded on the property. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Makalali Private Game Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makalali Private Game Hotel Hoedspruit
- Makalali Private Game Lodge South Africa/Hoedspruit