We stayed here for our honeymoon South Africa trip for 3 days, 2 nights in February 2014. - partook 4 game drives. Staff was very friendly and facilities were very clean and pleasing. The rooms/cabins are very private and all natural - you do have electricity, hot water, toilets, showers and Airconditioning + fans.
We did have to use the Suspension bridge to walk back and forth from camp 1 to camp 2 for some stuff - and the morning 5.30 wake up call can be a bit too much if you got to your room at 10 pm after dinner.
Food and provisions were good. Rooms, Dining area, Swimming pool, barbecue area, lookout areas were well kept. Game drives were very informative and fun. Our Game drive Ranger Wise and Tracker Pilot were great company and spotted almost all the main animals in the reserve.
The location has great wildlife, rustic and natural environs, well kept facilities and offers an enjoyable Safari experience. We did manage to see 4 of the big 5 game animals, but also dozens of other sights like baby elephants and lion cubs.
The transfer from Eastgate HDS Airport/Air base to the Reserve is roughly 90 minute drive.
This place is probably a great refuge away from the over commercialized game reserves. Its good to unplug from TV and internet and enjoy a quiet yet adventurous time.
The only sore point is that many reserves compete against each other for tourists, turning this into a more disneyland than an actual forest - they should focus on the conservation efforts and allow moving certain wild animals through adjacent reserves..
We did note that many seasoned tourists were there after completing larger game viewing inside the proper Kruger National Park. If I had more time I would have planned that and then definitely used this reserve as a resort to unwind.. won't recommend spending more than 72 hours at this place though ...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Makalali Private Game Lodge is a 4 star graded luxury safari lodge situated on a 26000 hectre private game reserve in the Limpopo Province of South Africa. The lodge consists of 3 camps with 6 rooms per camp. Nestled on the banks of a river one can often view animals in and around the camps. Makalali Private Game Lodge offers game drive twice a day to guests which is included in the rate of accommodation. The reserve is home to the big 5 as well as cheetah and wild dog and a number of other plains game and mammals. Over 250 species of birds have been recorded on the property. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Makalali Private Game Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Makalali Private Game Hotel Hoedspruit
- Makalali Private Game Lodge South Africa/Hoedspruit