We were so looking forward to this mountain retreat but UNFORTUNATELY, we were gravely disappointed. For a 4 star resort the chalets were not clean. From the first day I asked cleaning staff to please attend to the cobwebs filled with little spiders,all around the chaletl(chalet 89). Food stains, sticky door handles and door frame,walls and telephone. OVEN WAS FILTHY.These were not dealt with. We reported these grievances to reception and I am still waiting for housekeeping manager to call and inspect the chalet as I was repeatedly promised by the reception.Eventually I made the housekeeper and her pal begrudgingly clean up the chalet.The WALLS NEED A GENERAL CLEANING.
For a mountain retreat the music and entertainment was very loud throughout the day and during the evenings from the pub/entertainment area. We were expecting some peace in the mountains.
We also had a theft incident. My son's shoes were handed in at reception which were promptly stolen overnight by the employees of the resort from reception/housekeeping. Spoke to management and 3 phone calls later no response.
Nice setting very friendly staff need serious attention to housekeeping especially to housekeeping manager. Also need more cooking utensils and pots.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ALPINE HEATH RESORT – A PLACE OF WONDER. The magnificent mountains of the Drakensberg provide the spectacular backdrop for Alpine Heath Resort. The resort is located midway between Durban and Johannesburg, and offers superb accommodation, fine cuisine, All-Out-Adventure pursuits and superb conference and wedding facilities. This resort is a sports enthusiast’s dream with a host of activities available to keep the entire family entertained. Guests can choose from indoors activities like:•Board Games •Squash •Table-tennis •Gym •Spa treatments. There is also an extensive range of outdoor activities, which includes: •Horse-riding •Tennis •Volleyball •Fishing •Mountain biking •Tennis •Putt-putt course •Swimming and even friendly sport matches. The kids will be fully entertained with FUNtastic options that are sure to exceed any child’s expectations and energy levels. A daily variety of things to do, from arts & crafts to nature related activities are on offer. Children will never have a dull moment with the exclusive Kid’s Entertainment Program at the Kid’s WOW Zone! Just five minutes drive away is the All Out Adventures, which caters for extreme adrenaline junkies. Their activities vary from their well-reputed Canopy Tours to the Zipline and Kingswing. Alpine Heath Resort has many hiking trails, varying in difficulty, on offer. Situated in a World Heritage Site, the resort is the perfect base from which to explore some of the country’s finest trail attractions including the Amphitheatre, Tugela Falls (the World’s second highest waterfall) and Mont aux Sources. The Royal National Park is located 15km from the resort and boasts fantastic hiking opportunities at the world-famous Amphitheatre. Some of the trails available are: •Chain Ladder Hike •Tugela Gorge •Surprise Ridge •Cannibal Cave •Cascades, Look Out Rock •Tiger Falls. A trip to the Drakensberg would be incomplete without visiting the Spioenkop Battlefields and all the history associated with the South Africa Anglo-Boer War. Relive the memories of past heroes and walk in the footsteps of three great leaders, Winston Churchill, Mahatma Gandhi and General Louis Botha. Alpine Heath Resort offers guests a number of dining options. Hungry patrons can choose between self-catering or enjoy the culinary delights of the resort’s La Gruyeres Restaurant, savor some scrumptious offerings at the resort’s onsite eateries - The Tavern or the Pizzeria Inferno Pizzeria, enjoy light snacks at The Coffee Shop or shop for some fresh produce at the Village Market & Deli so that guests can prepare cuisine in the comfort of their own chalets. The resort has 100 luxuriously appointed, fully-equipped chalets offering panoramic mountain views from comfortable lounges, a fireplace for those romantic wintery evenings, kitchen, patio, satellite TV and three cozy bedrooms. Alpine Heath Resort is truly a highlight of the Drakensberg and it’s what makes this unique berg village so popular all year round. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Alpine Heath Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alpine Heath Hotel Drakensberg Region
- Alpine Heath Resort South Africa/Jagersrust, KwaZulu-Natal