All reviewscamp shongathe main lodgeprivate lodgegame driveswatering holebush breaksoutdoor showerearly morninghigh teaelectric fencebuffet styleevening gamesafari experienceprivate reserveoff roadafternoon drivecamp fire
Reviewed 15 September 2017

We spent two nights at this Lodge while on holiday in South Africa. I must say that the room was beyond my expectations. Having traveled to Africa several times, this would be right at the top of the list of a place to return to. Our Room/Hut was a fair distance from the main lodge, but that is what made it so quaint. The room was clean and very, very large. It was a great place to come back to after an early morning game drive and just relax and take in your private view from your private deck. Even more was being able to take a shower outside!!

Room Tip: We had room 15 which was a fair walk, but it was fabulous.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

This is a small tented camp, max 10 guests accomodated in 5 tents. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the gamedrives were interesting, the ranger told us a lot about the animals and the environment. Also the staff in the main lodge shishangeni is very helpful and friendly. Alltough this camp shonga is 'in the middle of nowhere' and they serve only one menu, for our youngest daughter, who is a vegetarian, they made a separate meal!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

If I could give this hotel more than 5 stars I would! We had the best few days at shishangeni lodge! The staff are amazing, so friendly and would do anything to help you and the game drives are brilliant! We were lucky to be able to see the big 5 plus so much more. Our ranger Promise was amazing, so friendly and so knowledgable about all the animals. The food was also brilliant, I am quite a fussy eater and for me to say the food was great it must be! This lodge and our game drives made our stay in Africa and we will never forget such an amazing holiday made even better by the staff at this lodge. Would recommend shishangeni to anyone and we hope to return one day!

Stayed: August 2017
2  Thank Laurasimon24
Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

There were certainly a few glitches in regards to our visit. The wrong rooms were reserved for us, they ran out of certain food items on the buffet before we had eaten, the cleaning staff are male and very forward about cleaning the room...even entering while I was in the bath! I also got extremely annoyed when we were moved off our breakfast table which we were chilling at and enjoying each other's company because they wanted to set it for lunch...particularly as these tables are the only options for outdoor seating apart from a small section which was already occupied. However, I am going to rate them on the game drives, the setting of the lodge and the rooms...all of which were well above par for a lower priced private lodge in the greatest reserve in the world. I also really enjoyed the meals...nothing fancy, just really tasty. Happily go back. Just maybe tweak the staff training...you are in the price range of more seasoned travelers...staff definitely need a bit more finesse.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank dooley_13
Reviewed 8 August 2017

Drives and staff were great (especially Daniel and Sifiso). No explanation on how to work the shower. As a previous guest reviewed, only enough water for one shower. I found that it must be on a timer. If you turned the shower off and on again, the hot water returned. The views from the rooms and deck are the best I've ever had at any lodge we have visited. Tooo much food - but very tasty. The lodge should consider no lunch and just have a decent high tea before afternoon drives. Once you have finished breakfast there is too little time again before lunch! Once we spoke to the Manager about this, he offered us a late lunch one day when we were the only guests there. Towels need to be replaced. It is customary to replace towels left on the floor. This was not done. Some inconsistency with turn downs (think change of staff). Service needs to be upped. The lodge could have made much more money from the bar if they had been more attentive and more well-stocked. Overall a great experience and one we would repeat.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family