All reviews fever tree luvuvhu river bird guide game drives honeymoon suite overlooking the valley northern part crooks corner bird life unique experience incredible views open air milky way out of this world comfortable rooms mind blowing private dinner
Reviewed 2 March 2012

we spent three glorious nights here. this was our second visit and it did not disappoint. the food is fantastic, staff are attentive and very well trained. the game drives are exciting (not a lot of game in the area at this time of the year though - but the bush is lush and dense and the bird life is great). sundowners overlooking gorges and breakfast in the fever tree forest made this a fantastic break. the rooms are like giant caves set back in the rock with the whole front open to the trees. with a huge bath under the stars and a day bed and king size bed and outside lounger. it is magnificent

Room Tip: the top room, room 12 has the best view but is far to walk. rooms 8, 9 are not so far and also have views of the river
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kadJhb
Reviewed 20 February 2012

What can I say about our 5 days at the Outpost last July? That is was an epic, awesome and massive experience? Yes, that it was. Or that the twice a day safari's were addictive to the max? Yes, that they were. Or that the people managing the lodge went our of their way to make our stay something never to forget. Yes, they did. That our guide was not only extremely well educated and knew the Kruger like the back of his hand, but also was a stand-up comedian with a smashing smile. Yes, he was like that. But if I tell you all this, I would forget the wonderful contemporary design of the lodge. The perfect mix of concrete, steel and wood that blend into the Kruger wonderfully. The views from our 'space' where baobab trees, elephants, monkeys, eagles, hyenas and all that other wonderful wildlife and scenery was literally at our feet or at the base of our bathtub. And did I mention the food?

For us it was one of the most unique places we have ever visited and we have been all over this little blue ball we live on quite a lot. And yes, sometimes things did not go as expected but hey, we are only human.

Room Tip: Try to get the Space which is the furthest away from the common area and pool. Not because of noise or whatsoever (there is none and every space is extremely private) but because of the best view of them all.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Adamgraffiti
Reviewed 4 January 2012

In our review of the year 2011 our stay in „The Outpost“ definetely was THE highlight! Our time there in April was really stunning and one of the most exciting experiences abroad ever.

The combination of the innovative architecture in the middle of this fascinating bushlands is really breathtaking! We were overwhelmed by the friendly service provided by Thomas and his team (although we hadn't a good start as we arrived late the first day) and it was quite a privilege to experience The Outpost as only guests for half of the time. Please send our warmest regards to Byron who gave us so competent and interesting insights in an area unknown to us. It was really a pleasure to make the Game Drives with him in the surrounding areas where all of us were rewarded by discovering two female lions with four cubs which we called "The Outpost 6" as they were never seen before. As far as we are concerned we can't agree that the northern part of the Kruger Park wouldn't offer that amount and variety of animals. We were happy to see lions, elephants, buffalos, zebras, baboons, impalas, nialas, kudus, genets and loads of birds that only Byron knows :-)

We really enjoyed the unbelievable open air feeling in our space above the world of the northern Kruger Park and the intimate atmosphere of a candle dinner for two. If you ever want to experience an unforgettable stay, choose „The Outpost“!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AndreLorenz
Reviewed 16 December 2011

The people who work at this lodge are competent, hard working and eager to meet any request. I had a private vehicle and guide for my three days in this part of Kruger and Sarah was an excellent guide/driver. Very versed in birds and animals of the region. The weather was unseasonably hot when I was there about 42 or 105 for the non metric. The lodge does not have true air conditioning due to some eco restrictions so it was not very nice at night. They use some sort of water cooled heat pump or exchange for cooling. This works in warm weather but cannot compensate for very hot weather. This place in cool or cold weather would be wonderful however.

Room quality is good. Nice shower, lots of room, great view of the open plains in front of the lodge. Unusual open air construction which is nice.

Value is reasonable, probably one of the nicest places to stay in this part of Kruger park. Not cheap but you get what you pay for. Bed quality is good. Everything is very clean. Sleep quality is not so good when it is over 98 degrees at night but that lasted only two nights and it was down to the 60's for the third night. Location of this lodge is good, a bit off the usual trip to Kruger Park and definitely different from the Sabi Sands type of eco system or southern Kruger Park. Long drive from Johannesburg airport but can be done if you leave by 8 am. Food quality is good, not super high end since they only have native cooks. If they send some of their staff to high end places for some advanced training this place could really shine. There seems to be a requirement to hire native staff to help the communities but there is a very large difference between a gourmet chef and a cook which the native community doesn't seem to understand. This hurts the ability to provide world level food and service despite a willingness to work hard.

Internet service is limited, fine for email which you can do in their office but you can forget about web surfing or any transfer of large photos or files. I am not sure if they use a satellite or if they have a fixed land line. If a few of the better lodges in the area chip in for a microwave link that would improve things quite a bit.

You can easily spend a week here. I was pressed for time since I wanted to see as much of Kruger in 9 days before going to a game reserve in the Sabi area. 3 days was barely enough to get an appreciation of this part of the park. Some people just spend a day or two, I would spend a month in Kruger if I have the opportunity in the future(might be many years from now unfortunately).

If you are interested in photography, a private vehicle is a must. Well worth the extra expense. You have total control of how long you want to spend looking at a bug, a cat or bird or any geographic feature. Also no kids or people who have no appreciation of nature. The price charged was a good deal less than in the game parks in the Sabi area where there is a need for both a driver and a tracker.

This lodge is a bit of a paradox, what they want to achieve regarding energy conservation is commendable but for a high end place not to be able to offer all weather comfort is not good. Even the standard Kruger Park facilities have air at all of their major rest camps. With these limitations I could not bring my wife out here in the summer, she would not put up with it, winter yes, this would be a great place. To me this limits the economic potential and benefit to the local community since I doubt this place would be fully booked when it get very hot.

Room Tip: I would come mainly in the winter months of June-September. A room with a good view of the water hole is a plus but all the rooms have good/great views.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Junkbondman
Reviewed 21 October 2011

An old mate was visiting from far and living in Musina, I wanted to make his visit as special as possible.
Yes. Cape Town is arguably one of the most beautiful cities in the world, but the bushveld…Well, the few that have discovered its secrets have never left or try and come back at every opportunity.
Of course it was all a surprise, and as we drove off on the Friday, Maritz was convinced we were going to Mapungubwe. If he only knew :)

Few things in life give as much pleasure as seeing the surprise and excitement on someone’s face, and knowing you made them feel that way. I guess this is what most people in the hospitality industry feel like, when welcoming guests. Especially folks that work at places like the Outpost. Places like these make us regular folk super-envious of their jobs.
Maritz couldn’t hold back and let out a slight, “Wow” as Charmaine opened the door to the rooms. It wasn’t a room, it was a view.
Yes. A view with a bed, a tub, a shower a great couch and then some more view.

The game-drives made the weekend uberspecial, but the one particular trip made it all worth it. The sunset was magical and as the last rays of sun touched the tree-tops, Joey got a call on the radio of some animal spotted around the next hill. We rushed off and then saw another Landy not far ahead. Joey prepared us for lions and told everyone to remain quiet and follow him, but as the picture came into full view from behind the bush, I couldn’t believe it. I just couldn’t believe it. For the last four months I had been a very outspoken activist for these animals and the pointless slaughtering that goes on, yet I had only once ever seen one in rehabilitation, never in the wild….There before my eyes was a Rhino-mum and her calf! My day, weekend, year was made. How amazing and beyond human comprehension is nature? Who painted the zebra, taught the racket tailed-roller to dive, upholstered the elephant or keeps Orion on the run from Scorpio?
A weekend closer to nature, closer to friends, closer to God.

Room Tip: Any view...they're all breathtaking
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends