“Stunning setting; superb guide (Sarah), our 'private' park.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Outpost

The Outpost
Carlsbad, California
“Stunning setting; superb guide (Sarah), our 'private' park.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

All the superlatives written before us are true. As private reserve lodges go, this one is particularly beautiful. Strings of "spaces" along a scenic cliff, the rooms, open on three sides, are private and one with the environment. Food is excellent and served romantically by candle and firelight. Service is impeccable. The Outlook staff manages to do all this without presumption.

The private reserve takes up the northern section of the park and is a nice counterbalance to the busier south. Vegetation is more lush and the physical landscape more spectacular. Not, however, for the first safari--animals are harder to see. Staying three nights, we had remarkable bird sightings, elephants, a wide variety of grazers, baboon, vervets, zebra, and beautiful landscapes--dramatic canyons, fever tree forests, swamp land, river environments...

Most important, safaris are in open vehicles with top guides. Ask for Sarah; she can spot anything, is brilliant in her knowledge of birdlife, and is great fun to be with.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bruce M
TheOutpost, Director of Sales at The Outpost, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for the feedback. We sincerely appreciate it.

You sum up the lodge and concession so well. We are very privileged to have a lodge in this amazing part of Kruger and it's always wonderful to hear from people like yourself who truly appreciate what it has to offer. It really is a gem.

Hopefully we will see you again in the not too distant future.

Richard de la Rey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

As long as I live, the days spent at the Outpost will remain one of my best memories ever! Pictures of this place just do not do it justice. The rooms are stunning. The views are spectacular. The food was excellent. From May the booking agent, to Erin and Beatrice our hosts, Alweet our guide whose incredible knowledge and wonderful personality really made the trip for us, even the elderly gentleman who carried our bags. Everything was perfect. We were treated like royalty. My daughter and son-in-law renewed their vows with friends & family, in the a Fever tree forest surrounded by some of the Makeleke tribe who sang and danced around them during the mystical ceremony with a herd of elephants not far away. Local minister was a lovely man. Really unforgettable!!

Room Tip: There are only 12 separate rooms. Low numbers close to main lodge, high better views.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Firstly, thank you for celebrating this wonderful occasion at The Outpost. Secondly, thank you too for the amazing feedback. I was quite humbled when I read it.

The photos you sent us of the celebration are amazing. Your daughter looked stunning and the traditional dress was beautiful. It would take a lot to beat the Fever Tree forest for such a special ocassion. I will be posting your photos on our Facebook page shortly. They really are incredible photos.

We are obviously thrilled to have such wonderful staff and needless to say we are very privileged to have them all on board. Johannes is an absolute superstar and so many guests comment on him.

We would love to have all of you visit us again at some time in the not too distant future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

The Outpost was a wonderful and unforgettable experience! My husband and I absolutely love the northern parts of untouched Kruger and we have both dreamed of a magical bush wedding in the Fever Tree Forest. Last weekend The Outpost made both of our dreams come true. Our arrival was a warm welcome from all the staff and a super surprise that we were upgraded to the honeymoon suite. There are absolutely no words that I can use to describe the breathtaking view from the rooms... Beyond spectacular!!!!! You actually forget about the beautiful room behind you when you walk in. After a stunning lunch, the 17 of us (guests and bridal couple) were taken on a game drive to the memorizing Fever Tree Forest. The bright lime green glow of the trees paints all the colors around you, including the brightly dressed Makuleku tribe who were dancing and singing for our ceremony. I felt so honored when given my very own colorful traditional outfit, shoes and all. With the fish eagle calling in the distance and a huge breeding herd of elephants just around the corner, I really couldn't have wished for a more beautiful wedding! The rest of our stay was so lovely and I didn't want to leave. Alweet was such a wonderful and knowledgable guide we learnt so much from him on our drives. So a big thank you Outpost for such a lovely lovely weekend! We will definitely be back annually to celebrate our anniversary and to relive such a perfect holiday

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheOutpost, Director of Sales at The Outpost, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you so much for choosing The Outpost to celebrate your very special day. Thank you too for the fantastic feedback. I know a lot of planing went into it and we are obviously thrilled that it was so special.

The Fever Tree forest is, in my opinion, the perfect setting for a wedding and clearly this was the case. It is a very special place to celebrate a very special occasion.

We are so fortunate to have such wonderful staff and truly appreciate all the effort they go to. They make such a difference.

Deservedly you stayed in the honeymoon suite and it really is difficult to find a better view in Africa. Hopefully you were able to spend enough time in your space to take everything in.

We would like to wish you many, many happy years together and we sincerely hope that you visit us again. I think a trip to the Fever Tree forest will be in order.

Limpopo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

What a wonderful stay at this truly unique lodge, the photographs on the website do not do it justice, as you walk into your room the view will take your breath away. Thank you to Erin, Beatrice, and Winnie for making my birthday a beautiful and special day and to all the staff for the excellent service and delicious food. Thank you Kara for your patience and willingness to share your knowledge with me as I learned about the birds of this area, you are one of the best guides I have had the pleasure to meet. The Outpost is not only a unique lodge but it sits in one of the most beautiful places I have seen in my life and I have traveled quite extensively around the world. I had no idea that the Pafuri region was so special, I had heard that it was different and people raved about it but I always went to the areas in the Kruger closer to where I live. What a mistake! I now realise what i have been missing all of these years as I was completely taken aback by this area, and was overcome by the feeling that I had discovered a place that I would have no choice but to return, some of the special things about it, (and there were many) the fever tree forest is magical, Lanner gorge carved out by the Luvuvhu River is spectacular and Crooks corner overlooking the Limpopo and Luvuvhu Rivers, at the point which borders South Africa, Zimbabwe and Mozambique. Do yourself a favour if you have not been to the Pafuri region, you have to see it! I am already planning my next trip.

Room Tip: If you like being close to the lodge area then choose rooms 1-6, if you like views then 7-12, we wer...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheOutpost, Director of Sales at The Outpost, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Wow. What a fabulous review. Thank you so much for the wonderful compliments.

You certainly seem to have covered the highlights of the area. My personal favourite is the Fever Tree Forest however standing at the top of Lanner Gorge is an amazing experience. One has to do it to understand the beauty of it.

As you say, the area and the lodge are very special and unique. It's definitely something everyone should experience.

Thank you once again for your wonderful feedback and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Bryanston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

If silence and solitude are what you require from a bush break, The Outpost will not disappoint. It's surroundings are surreal and take a moment to absorb and appreciate the vastness of the Kruger. Being a regular visitor to the Southern part of the Kruger Park the Pafuri/ Marukele region opens new viewing from animals but mainly the diversity of birds. Breathtaking rooms, wonderful game drives, excellent service and food.

Room Tip: Rooms 10 , 11 & 12
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for visiting The Outpost and the fantastic feedback.

The Pafuri area is certainly very special and one of the best kept secrets as you say. The area has so much diversity and as you rightly say, the birding is phenomenal. So many guests visit the lodge specifically for this.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you in the not too distant future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

This review is long overdue, probably because it's hard to put our magical wedding weekend into words. We got married in a lime green fevered cathedral to the chimes of gorgeous bush shrikes and screeches of hornbills, and where we were showered with a continuous confetti of butterflies! As a bird- and bush-loving architect, The Outpost comes close to my idea of perfection.
Aaron, in your quiet way you made sure everything was as smooth and relaxed as possible. Nothing was too much trouble - you even fixed my sister's sump without drama (or expense!).
Beatrice, you went the extra mile by doing beautiful table decorations and by baking that gorgeous chocolate cake that people are still talking about! It's clear to us that your direction, attention to detail and natural flair for food are evident in what comes out of the kitchen.
Cara, Alweet and Sarah, you took us to all the best spots and impressed us all with your knowledge.
To all the wonderful staff (Winnie, Langu, etcetera), you blessed us with your love and warmth
Thank you - we look forward to returning in the not too distant future!

Room Tip: As the wedding couple we had the "space" with the most spectacular view - number 12 - but...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JuliarchSA
Thank you so much for choosing The Outpost to celebrate such a special occasion. Thank you too for popping into the office to show us the wonderful pics. We certainly enjoyed the bubbly too.

We do hope that it's not too long before you visit us again. The Fever Tree forest is waiting for you.

Phalaborwa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

To try and describe The Outpost experience on paper does the establishment and its staff and the amazing natural beauty of the surrounds an injustice.
The rooms are clean cut and contemporary, yet they fit so well with their environment. The view from the rooms is spectacular, overlooking the river. With the positioning of the rooms in such a way that it affords, “open air” bathing and showering, plus sleeping with blinds open almost under the stars is quite breathtaking. The rooms are well appointed with furnishings, linen and fittings, plus a personal safe.
Meals are excellent and one needs to be careful of putting on a few kg in the process. Served in private settings, or as convivial as you would want, staff and management seem to be there just when you need them. The little details like a fire next to your table, fine dining touches to the meals without being pretentious, and a genuine desire by the entire team to see that you experience top notch service make your stay at this lodge just so above even top establishments. Just a small mention of a champagne brunch by the river for a special occasion. Thank you Erin (hope the spelling is OK), Beatrice, and Winnie (plus all the background staff who made this possible).
I have to say that this is undoubtedly the best service we have had at any bush establishment, including some of the high profile ones. If we compare this service to a 5 star establishment then this rates 6 stars or more.
Then there is Cara, our guide. Professional, knowledgeable, dedicated and so keen, she embodies what one should like to have in a guide. Thank you Cara for showing us some of the wonderful beauty of the area in which you have the privilege to work.
This environment is something everyone should make the effort to see. If you have a real interest is natural beauty, this will be up there with the best. We will be back.

Room Tip: We had room 11. Excellent views. Not sure if all rooms have equally spectacular views.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheOutpost, Director of Sales at The Outpost, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Mkhulujo

It's not often I am left speechless but your feedback did just that. We are obviously thrilled that you enjoyed your stay as much as you did.

As you well know, the staff are the backbone of the lodge and we are so grateful for such a wonderful staff compliment.

I have had the privilege of enjoying lunch at the river and is a very special occasion I agree.

Thank you once again for your fantastic feedback and we hope you visit us again soon. Thank you too for the 6 star service accolade.

Richard