“Opulent, expensive, fantastic”
Review of Jock Safari Lodge

Jock Safari Lodge
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We (3 couples) stayed at Fitzpatrick's Lodge - about 5 min drive from the main lodge. Fitzpatrick's has 3 rooms so if you are in a party of 6 you MUST stay here if you can. It is completely self contained - own cooks, servers,cleaners, manager etc. All drinks free and at any time. A huge lounge, library, a pool for the 3 couples to share. Rooms are huge with big bath, shower looking out into the bush, mossi nets, 2 sinks, dressing room, huge beds,private outside sitting area and also communal sitting area outside. Breakfast cooked to order. We ate round an open fire on the first of 3 nights. I have to say that the whole accommodation experience was FANTASTIC. Now, add to this the really WONDERFUL safari experience and I challenge you to do any better. OK it is very expensive, but if you are going to do a safari once in your life then come on, fork out the cash and you'll certainly get what you pay for. Morning safari 3.5 hrs, Walking safari of about an hour, Evening safari of 4 hours. All these are included in the price. Drinks and nibbles on the safari. Our ranger was the chief one - Lazarus. He is an absolute DELIGHT. His knowlege is phenomenal and he is also a delight to talk with. He joined us for 2 of our evening meals.
You can tell I am waxing lyrical about this place, but it is all heartfelt and genuine. Thank you to Jocks.

Room Tip: If you are in a group of six go for Fitzpatrick's Lodge.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 October 2012

I spent 3 nights at this beautiful lodge in September. Everything about my stay was 'top shelf'!!! My accommodation was beautiful, very private! The food was delicious! Thank you Artie! And the safari . . . One of the most incredible experiences of my life! Our guide, Mica, was so knowledgeable . . . An excellent tracker and guide. We saw the Big 5, a leopard kill and several lions. I cannot wait to go back!!!!

Room Tip: My room was excellent. A view of game right from my windows and deck.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I admit I have not done many safaris but this was great! The facility, with many many stays at lodges, was top notch. The food even better. Lazurus as a guide made the trip complete..spotting everything we could want. In my short three days I was able to unwind, have adventure and enjoy good food. I can't say enough! Even with two days of rain! No internet no phone no cell coverage and in the middle of the bush.....

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank david p
Reviewed 7 September 2012

My wife and I went to the jock for three nights, 27 28 29 August. What a fantastic experiance .the staff were the best ever, nothing was a trouble to them you asked you got . All of the rangers were friendly and cheerful. The accommodation. Was breathtaking, food I can't praise it enough, animal sightings big five and more close up and personnel thanks to Patrick our ranger. It was my wife's birthday on our last night, at the end of our meal the staff came with a cake for her and sang happy birthday to her and danced round the fire. I would like to thank everyone at jock for making it the best holiday ever.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank k3gadgetman
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Spent 3 wonderful nights at Jock Safari Lodge - 20th to 23rd August. Lovely time of the year to go to KNP. The accommodation is superb - spacious, lovely private plunge pool, sala bed overlooking the bush, outdoor shower, lovely linen on the oh so comfortable bed & best of all, spotlessly clean. The only criticism is that you wipe your hands on a towel & the towel gets replaced. This is Africa & we need to conserve water! Changing towels once a day would be sufficient. The Spa Retreat is well worth a visit. My suggestion to Management would be to serve dinners earlier. 20h30 is too late as it usually end at about 22H00 & morning safari wakeup call is at 05H00. Lazarus is brilliant & goes out of his way to find game as requested. Sitting & watching a pride of lions with 6 young cubs was brilliant! The bird life in camp is superb. I will definitely be going back to Jock!

Room Tip: Room numbers 9, 10 & 11 have a wonderful view with large shady trees
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Laurice P
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We were traveling on our honeymoon in December, 2011 and were picked up from the Nelspruit Airport by our transport guy... We were already told by our travel guide in Cape Town and the driver that we had made the right choice by booking Jock... Well it live up to all expectations.... Were greeted well on our arrival and were escorted to our room which was done up well with a champagne pint ready and rose petals on the bed.... We immediately left for our safari as we reached afternoon.... Lyle our tour guide was amazing... Ensured we saw the Big 5 and his commitment and passion for the job makes him one of the best rangers for your ride....

The food was awesome and the buffet dinner which they call Boma was excellent... Since there was another Indian family staying there, they had some Indian food as well..... One day the afternoon chef ensure she served me some Indian chicken curry and also took my recipe of the same... I was amazed to see how they manage to get their inventory in the middle of the jungle... Hats off to the logistics team..... The dinners are a served a lil quickly and if you are looking to relax with your drink (like i usually do) then you may feel lil pushed for an early dinner.... But then when one has to begin their day at 3:30 AM you cant expect a dinner party till 12 AM when the staff has to travel 40 km away.... One of the nights when i did feel like binging they staff were kind enough to serve dinner in our cottage.... The breakfast was great with excellent choice... Also the lunch which is usually ala-carte, has good choice and is served well.... The luxury day bed outside and a plunge pool add to all the privacy you would want...

Everything excellent the rooms, food, drinks and service top class... The safari rides are undoubtedly one of the best....

If you can afford this place then go for it... As I said you cant ask for more

Room Tip: All rooms are the same... So dont bother much
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We are experienced travelers and this was our first time to South Africa. We were recommended to this lodge by our travel agent in Cape Town....upon flying 21 hours to Nelspruit we were happily surprised when we drove up to Jock. The security is impressive as well as the front entrance. We were escorted to our lodge which was right next to the main dining area. We were not used to such a structured itinerary but quickly began to love it. Every morning our safari guide (Paddy----try and get him if you can, the best!!!!!) would call and wake us up at 5:30 am to meet for muffins and coffee before going out on the morning safari drive. We saw sooo many animals and if you can go in the winter like we did (May 2012....remember they are in the Southern Hemisphere so it's opposite of North America) then you can see more animals because the bushes and trees have lose their leaves. The lodge was the only 5-star resort in Kruger National Park and we would go back there in a heart beat. We are active adults and like adventure, but want a certain amount of luxury. This was the best place. See pictures!

Room Tip: We stayed at the lodge right next to the main dining area so it was great to be the first one to get...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
#54 of 175 in Kruger National Park
Buhala Lodge
Buhala Lodge
#2 of 11 in Malelane

Been to Jock Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!