“Fantastic to stay in Luxury in Kruger!”
Review of Jock Safari Lodge

Jock Safari Lodge
Gold Coast, Australia
“Fantastic to stay in Luxury in Kruger!”
Reviewed 17 November 2012

We spent 2 nights here and had a lovely time. Lazurus our Ranger was passionate and we couldn't have been happier seeing all of the big 5 and more... Artie the chef was very accommodating with making us a special buffalo Carpaccio, beautiful! We picked up a car from Nelspruit Airport and drove. Hassell free and not expensive. After Kruger Sabie Village is worth a stay for a few nights as a base to visit many great scenic locations.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We spent a wonderful night at Jock Safari Lodge - November is a time of the year to go because we saw plenty of animals all of the 4 of the big 5 except the leopard . The accommodation is very good an comfortable with plenty of space, a small but private plunge pool, bed overlooking the bush, outdoor shower, lovely linen and very comfortable bed . The accommodation was very clean and well maintained.The only criticism is that at first our ranger seemed obnoxious and racist but after I started chatting with him the next morning on the morning drive he stared to warm up to me but my question is does it need a guest to initiate hospitality? Management and staff went out of their way to accommodate our dietary requirements and the dinner and breakfast was well presented and prepared. The rest of the staff were very friendly and helpful with good service, except that although we had a do not disturb sign on our gated door we had a staff member walk right in just as I was about to step into the open shower a big oops and a no no in my books . Overall Jock Safari lodge is a good choice for a luxury weekend retreat.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Shube1
Sheffield
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We (3 couples) stayed at Fitzpatrick's Lodge - about 5 min drive from the main lodge. Fitzpatrick's has 3 rooms so if you are in a party of 6 you MUST stay here if you can. It is completely self contained - own cooks, servers,cleaners, manager etc. All drinks free and at any time. A huge lounge, library, a pool for the 3 couples to share. Rooms are huge with big bath, shower looking out into the bush, mossi nets, 2 sinks, dressing room, huge beds,private outside sitting area and also communal sitting area outside. Breakfast cooked to order. We ate round an open fire on the first of 3 nights. I have to say that the whole accommodation experience was FANTASTIC. Now, add to this the really WONDERFUL safari experience and I challenge you to do any better. OK it is very expensive, but if you are going to do a safari once in your life then come on, fork out the cash and you'll certainly get what you pay for. Morning safari 3.5 hrs, Walking safari of about an hour, Evening safari of 4 hours. All these are included in the price. Drinks and nibbles on the safari. Our ranger was the chief one - Lazarus. He is an absolute DELIGHT. His knowlege is phenomenal and he is also a delight to talk with. He joined us for 2 of our evening meals.
You can tell I am waxing lyrical about this place, but it is all heartfelt and genuine. Thank you to Jocks.

Room Tip: If you are in a group of six go for Fitzpatrick's Lodge.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I spent 3 nights at this beautiful lodge in September. Everything about my stay was 'top shelf'!!! My accommodation was beautiful, very private! The food was delicious! Thank you Artie! And the safari . . . One of the most incredible experiences of my life! Our guide, Mica, was so knowledgeable . . . An excellent tracker and guide. We saw the Big 5, a leopard kill and several lions. I cannot wait to go back!!!!

Room Tip: My room was excellent. A view of game right from my windows and deck.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I admit I have not done many safaris but this was great! The facility, with many many stays at lodges, was top notch. The food even better. Lazurus as a guide made the trip complete..spotting everything we could want. In my short three days I was able to unwind, have adventure and enjoy good food. I can't say enough! Even with two days of rain! No internet no phone no cell coverage and in the middle of the bush.....

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank david p
england
Reviewed 7 September 2012

My wife and I went to the jock for three nights, 27 28 29 August. What a fantastic experiance .the staff were the best ever, nothing was a trouble to them you asked you got . All of the rangers were friendly and cheerful. The accommodation. Was breathtaking, food I can't praise it enough, animal sightings big five and more close up and personnel thanks to Patrick our ranger. It was my wife's birthday on our last night, at the end of our meal the staff came with a cake for her and sang happy birthday to her and danced round the fire. I would like to thank everyone at jock for making it the best holiday ever.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank k3gadgetman
Pretoria
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Spent 3 wonderful nights at Jock Safari Lodge - 20th to 23rd August. Lovely time of the year to go to KNP. The accommodation is superb - spacious, lovely private plunge pool, sala bed overlooking the bush, outdoor shower, lovely linen on the oh so comfortable bed & best of all, spotlessly clean. The only criticism is that you wipe your hands on a towel & the towel gets replaced. This is Africa & we need to conserve water! Changing towels once a day would be sufficient. The Spa Retreat is well worth a visit. My suggestion to Management would be to serve dinners earlier. 20h30 is too late as it usually end at about 22H00 & morning safari wakeup call is at 05H00. Lazarus is brilliant & goes out of his way to find game as requested. Sitting & watching a pride of lions with 6 young cubs was brilliant! The bird life in camp is superb. I will definitely be going back to Jock!

Room Tip: Room numbers 9, 10 & 11 have a wonderful view with large shady trees
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends