“Tinga tickles your fancy”

Lion Sands - Tinga Lodge
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Tinga is a very, very good safari camp. An exceptional feature is the view of the nearby river from your room; this offers opportunities to view wild animals, such as elephants. The rooms are spacious and well furnished. All the staff are excellent, especially the rangers and trackers for your game drives. One unanticipated amenity was the high level of drinks and snacks offered during breaks on the game drives. Also fund were the monkeys on the property. The private pools, however, are not heated, which may be fine when the weather is very hot. The breakfasts were also very good. Do what you can to include Tinga on your African safari trip.

Room Tip: If you like isolation get a room some distance from the main lodge building; this gives opportunitie...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank statusquobuster

Reviewed 8 May 2013

This place is simply amazing, the rooms with private pools on the deck looking to the river bank, with big bathtub, the so lovely staff, the incredible food, the amenities, the game drives, the drivers, Herds of elephants walking right under our feets under the wooden walkpath... everything from the moment we arrived to the moment we left was a dream.

Thank you so much all, you made our stay truly perfect!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gininou
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Tinga was incredible. I haven't seen much of kruger but I have been too other safaris around south africa and kenya, and I would definitely say Tinga is amazing. Its worth taking a look at it. We really enjoyed our beautiful rooms, and the whole service from the hotel was amazing.. Everynight we had dinner at different spots through out the hotel, which made it really unique from other luxury hotels.

Our guide (Dave) and our tracker were definitely one of the best ones you could have. We saw many animals, and apart from that we had many many laughs, and great memories which we will never forget, or stop sharing. They made it stand out!! Plus the views from the Sabi River are un believable.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank PabloJHeredia
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We stayed at Tinga Narina Lodge for 4 nights on honeymoon and it was AMAZING. There was one slight negative which I will mention at the end of this review but let me rave about the many positives first.

All the lodges are identical and look over the river where we lucky enough to see hippos, buffalos, elephants and naughty little monkeys! (We were told that a few days earlier, there were lions out there too). The lodges are not fenced and at night, you need an escort to walk you to your room for your own safety. The rooms are absolutely beautiful with a HUGE bed, plunge pool and sun loungers on the deck, indoor and outdoor shower and lovely bath. All lodges are very private and not overlooked (except by the animals outside!) On our first night, the staff had ran a lovely bubble bath for us and decorated the room with candles and rose petals (we were on honeymoon so not sure if that was standard practice?). They did the same on our last night but this time included a bottle champagne too! It really was lovely.

The food is just as good (if not better), than any top restaurant and the chef came out to chat to us everyday and made sure we had enjoyed our meals. We ate pretty much every few hours - it was impossible to turn down such good food! Full English breakfast, 3 course lunch, afternoon tea and snacks, and finally 3 course dinner in the evening - we certainly ate well!!

The game drives were incredible. Our guide (Nicole) and tracker (Emmanuel) were such a great pair and every game drive was entertaining and fun. We saw all the big 5 (more than once) and the highlight of the trip was seeing 3 baby lion cubs! I am a big fan of cats and that memory will stay with me forever. There was never more than 4 of us on the game drives so everyone got a perfect view of the animals.

It was an almost perfect place! There was only one small negative which I think out of fairness, I should mention (if only to serve as a caution to others). On arrival, you are given a bag to put all your valuables in, which they then lock away in a safe in the reception for safe keeping (after all, everything is included so there is no need for money or passports!). We did so but forgot that we had some English money. I had £15 of English money which was hidden inside a zipped compartment of my handbag - my handbag was otherwise empty. My husband had £30 which he had left inside his rucksack. We forgot about this until it came to packing up to leave when we both realised that the money was missing. We admit it was our own fault that we hadn't put the money away in the safe bag, but I really wouldn't expect such things to happen in a top safari lodge? (Or maybe I'm being naive and this kind of thing happens everywhere?) It does sadden me to think that more than likely, a member of staff, had taken the opportunity to steal from us. The money was hidden out of view so the culprit had obviously gone to the effort to look for money & valuables.The experience has somewhat tainted our memories of the place. We did inform the manager but I very much doubt they will find 'who did it'. So please be careful and lock up ALL valuables if you are staying here.

Up until that point, we had an incredible time and loved every minute of it. We really didn't want to leave!

Room Tip: All rooms are the same. Room 5 has the shortest walk to the main areas.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ikkin
Nick_Leuenberger, General Manager at Lion Sands - Tinga Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

Hi There

Many Thanks for your honest review of Tinga Narina. I am pleased you had an incredible stay with us despite the unfortunate incident with your money. It is frustrating for us to hear reports of these incidence taking place. You will be pleased to hear that we will be installing top of the range Electronic Safes in each Room so guests can lock their valuables up with confidence.
Thanks again for your honest review and hope that you will be return to experience one of our Properties again.

Kind Regards
Nick Leuenberger

Reviewed 5 March 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Narina lodge late Feb. From the moment we arrived we were taken back by the unique design, the view and the friendliness and willingness of the beautiful staff.

Before our first afternoon game drive we went to cool down in our private pool, as we watched an elephant grazing 20m away from us! As well as some bush bucks resting below us.

Each game drive was fabulous thanks to Kenneth and Dumay. We were able to see each of the big 5. We were also lucky enough to watch a lioness hunt and kill an impala and then sat 5m away from her whilst she devoured the carcass.

The rooms are absolutely lovely and the outdoor shower really tops them off. The staff are ever so friendly and you will never, ever go hungry at Tinga!

We highly recommend!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I stayed at the Tinga Narina Lodge for 2 nights in February 2013 and can only say good things about the lodge. From the moment I arrived to the moment I left I was attended to by professional, friendly and helpful staff who were sure to greet me by name, took an interest in my background and remembered my favourite drinks after having ordered it only once. A great example of this was when I commented to 2 staff members on how delicious the home made lemonade they served before the afternoon game drive was. Later that evening when I returned to my room after dinner, a large bottle of it had been placed next to my bed.

The somewhat unique situation of a large private concession within the gigantic Kruger Park provides one with a truly authentic bush experience where the animals are not "caged in" between fences but left to freely roam. This can make locating the animals more difficult, but no worries because the rangers and trackers are top class. Proof of this lies in us finding 7 lion cubs - see my attached pictures. The game drives were a real treat, as was the ability to view game from the private pool in my suite. I was lucky enough to watch about 7 elephants graze 20m away from me while I relaxed in the cool water.

The rest of the room was incredible too... very clean and spacious. The outdoor shower is a real treat! There is of course also and indoor shower and a bathtub for the less adventurous among us.

The food too was excellent. One is provided with a good choice of options which will suit all pallets and the quality of everything I ate left me wanting more.

I will certainly return and can only recommend this place to any traveller!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Thomas T
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Luxury from morning to night. Excellent service, unique safari experiences, wonderful dining and company. Open bar, breakfast and dinner included. Safaris include cocktail hour. Book through Lyon Tours. They are amazing!

Room Tip: Each cabin is private with balcony, pool, and fabulous viewing spot for wildlife.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
#3 of 43 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Crocodile Bridge Safari Lodge
Crocodile Bridge Safari Lodge
#71 of 178 in Kruger National Park

Been to Lion Sands - Tinga Lodge? Share your experiences!