Camp Shonga
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Kruger Boutique Hotel(Marloth Park)
  • Breakfast included
Good 3.5/5
  • Restaurant
Skukuza Rest Camp(Kruger National Park)
Very Good 4/5
  • Pool
Lion Sands - Tinga Lodge(Kruger National Park)
Excellent 5/5
  • Restaurant
Very Good 4/5
  • Pool
All reviewsprivate reserveamazing guideking bedoutdoor showergame drivesthree nightsthe main lodgethatched roofeach morningwildlife viewingonce in a lifetimeamazing experienceour honeymoonsouth africasafari experiencenormantex
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 April 2011

My business partner and I stayed at Camp Shonga for 3 nights as a reward for hard work over the last 5 years. We were very lucky to be the only 2 people in the camp for 2 of the 3 days we were there. The setting is beautiful, very peaceful and secluded. The size of the camp means that you really feel as if you are away from everyday life. Whereas it is not as luxurious as some of the other 5-star lodges, it feels much more authentic. The rooms are fantastic, with an outdoor shower and your own private deck. The food was good and Hendri took great care of us. Sifiso, the guide, was exceptional - I hope his knowledge, insight and ability to work with people is noticed by the owners of the lodge. His customer service and ability to read people really stood out and made it such a great trip. He made us feel that it was a "real" experience, as opposed to being in a zoo where you can just order what animal you want to see - at the same time, he went out of his way to track game and, due to him, we had an amazing sighting of a leopard just as it was about to leave the road on one of the night drives.

If I could offer any constructive feedback about my experience at Camp Shonga, I would say the following: a little bit of a clean-up of the common areas would help, hot and better quality coffee would work for me, as well as a bigger selection of wine. They have only one white and one red wine, neither of which is fantastic.

However, all in all, a great experience and I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: All the rooms are equally great.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Safari-mad_75
Reviewed 14 October 2010

My husband and I stayed at Camp Shonga for three nights in August and it was a fantastic experience. The people at Camp Shonga are really what made it so memorable for me. From our first greeting to our last farewell, the entire staff made sure we were well taken care of and thoroughly enjoying our stay. The meals were incredible and seemingly never-ending. The room was very comfortable and private. The game drives with our guide Sfiso were amazing. We had the luxury of being the only ones on three of our five game drives. Sfiso was very knowledgable and made an effort to find everything we wanted to see. In the end, we only had the leopard to check off our list and he went above and beyond to find one for us. Which he did! I was actually sad to leave because we met such wonderful people and had such an incredible time at Camp Shonga.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Luxury tent, from a bygone area with all the gimmicks (leather couch, gas open fire, outdoor shower, colonial bath tub)… OK, only problem is that plumbing needs some refurbishment and it is difficult to get warm water without boiling or freezing. But also give all your thanks to the thatched roof above the tent which keeps the temperature cool during the mid-day, and think about all the people who took a “real tent safari” and forgot that the tent is boiling under the sun. Food can be hit or miss, but breakfast is always superb. It is NOT a private reserve, but instead a concession within Kruger, so you are more in a real park than a glorified zoon. The price to pay (in order to keep the environment sound) is that if you see a leopard 200 meters away from the road, your driver will not drive into the bush – so take good binoculars with you, always! There are plenty of gravel drives so you can still explore all the way, and far away from the herds of tourists. You will likely see all the game, maybe a bit less than in the private reserves or in Masai Mara, but the bush remains a roulette, and this time I hit the jackpot as we saw a gang of lions after sunset killing and eating a poor wilderbeest – something quite exceptional!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 August 2010

We arrived at Camp Shonga within 36 hours of arriving in South Africa from America. We were looking for a relaxing safari in the African bush, but were treated to so much more. Who knew one could receive royal treatment on a safari. From the cooks to the staff and everyone at the camp, we send our greatest thanks to making our trip memorable and one of the greatest events of our lives.

Camp Shonga was accessible from JoBurg and we arrived in early evening with enough time to catch the evening outing with Simon, our guide for the next two days. Simon's knowledge of Kruger National Park and his passion for the habitat made our time with him and the other guests great. Simon was a wonderful safari host. We learned so much about him and his family that we experienced not only history of the park and its animals, but the history and culture of a native South African.

The camp staff was great, especially Golden. The hospitality he showed us made us feel like part of his family and truly felt like we were in his home.

I highly recommend Camp Shonga to anyone visiting SA.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed 24 June 2010

My son and I stayed at Camp Shonga for two nights recently and had a thoroughly enjoyable time. I cannot compare it with other safari camps or excursions, as this was a first for us. But the staff was superb, the game drives were a lot of fun, our guide was knowledgeable and a treat to be with, the food was very good (especially considering the limited kitchen facilities available in a tent community, albeit a luxurious one), and the animals are plentiful and quite nearby.

None of the facilities listed as options in this review are available at Camp Shonga except the pool and the restaurant. However, the facilities of the main lodge are available for people staying at Camp Shonga and I believe they include such things as a gym and Internet access. We only used those facilities to watch a couple of World Cup games, so I cannot speak to how nice they are. I am sure they are quite fine, however.

The only caveat is that somewhere we found or were given directions that are not at all accurate. Which, when one is driving around a game park half a world away from where one lives, could have been an issue. Make sure you get the directions from the website for the Shishangeni Private Game Lodge, of which Camp Shonga is a part.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family