“Amazing”

Lukimbi Safari Lodge
Reviewed 27 July 2009

There is not one bad thing I can say. Everything was top. Absolutely amazing. Each group (2-3 people) has their own "cottage" with a great view both from the porch and the bathtub. The food was delicious, the staff was spectacular, and the safaris were more than I imagined. I never thought I would be literally 6 feet from a lioness after her morning kill. Completely and totally an experience of a lifetime.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank ecadams

Reviewed 25 July 2009

The stay at Lukimbi was everthing my family and i expected and more. The acommodation was stunning with lots of room, beautiful bath facilities and great beds. With the decor and artwork you get a real african bush meets luxury, The food was plentiful and very tantalising with some new taste combinations. The views from the pool and relaxation area over the river bed below provided many animal sitings and would be interesting to experience in a summer season. The game experience was nothing short of amazing driver and tracker John and Albert were fantatstic with unbelieveable eyes finding animals that we had no hope of spotting. Saw the big 5 (leopard was on the last day with 10 minutes to go) and more. The highlight was seeing a pride of lions devouring a girrafe. Tips- bring plenty of layers of clothing over the winter months, schedule some rest time after leaving as they keep you very busy, get there before 3pm and leave after 10am to get the maximum number of game drives. Strongly reccommend for all.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank sandmanGoldCoast
Reviewed 10 July 2009

It was one of the most luxurious holidays I've ever been on! The folks at Lukimbi pamper you :) the rooms, the game drives, the food everything is exceptional!
Of course it was an expensive vacation, but at the end of it, it was worth it!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2009

Our visit to Lukimbi was the highlight of a trip of a lifetime! We were dazzled at every turn-- and everyone on the staff treated us like royalty. Lukimbi for us was paradise found!Dylan and Stranger were the safari dream team! Dylan's scientific background and communication skills added true depth of knowledge to the amazing bush experience. And Stranger's boots-on-the-ground expertise-- finding every animal imaginable-- made it all real. Not only is each one exceptional, but their team dynamic-- how they work together-- created a positive atmosphere that maximized our learning and our fun! Yes, we saw four of the "big five", but so much more-- giraffes, zebras, owls, chameleons, kudu, gorgeous migratory birds, we even came face-to-face with nursing lion cubs. The warm smiles of the staff made us feel more like family than hotel guests, and when we think of Lukimbi, we will always be reminded of their extraordinary kindness. The accommodations were beautiful and comfortable-- love that oval granite bathtub and the outdoor shower! Felt like a queen in the canopy bed with mosquito netting! When our 10-year old saw monkeys from the bathroom window, he really thought he had died and gone to heaven! And the food...I don't think we've ever eaten so well, and certainly not in such a fabulous setting! The staff created a special setting for us at each meal, including dinner on the terrace over the game reserve, surrounded by oil lamps and the roar of lions!!! We loved the local menu-- exotic fruits, just-picked veggies, and especially the game and fish. Who knew that we would be eating eland, and that it would immediately become our favorite meat (more tender than fillet mignon)! We are all so eager to return!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2009

When arriving at Lukimbi you immediately sense you are in God’s paradise. This 5 star hotel is located in heaven. Often when seeing pictures and reviews on the internet and hotel web sites when booking a resort and then actually seeing and experiencing the resort, you are often disappointed. At Lukimbi it was definitely different.

What was the most surprising was the fantastic food that they served. A bush experience does not often come with good food.

I will definitely be back there again.

Reviewed 20 March 2009

On the long drive up to the Kruger I was a tad wary of the 5 star promise. My last safari experience in Limpopo had promised 5 star and was anything but. What absolute relief when I took my first stroll through Lukimbi's wooded cabins and walkways which blend respectfully into the surrounding bush and thankfully sans the safari kitsch decor some South Africans appear to have a predeliction for. There is no doubt that this lodge well deserves their rating.

The food was the big surprise of the trip. There are schools of lodges which believe in focussing on the game and tend to serve school cafeteria fare piled high in all you can eat buffets. Lukimbi's food was exquisite. I had probably the best dessert of my adult life there, it's the chocolate tirramisu and is reason enough to visit Lukimbi.

The bush fulfilled all the cliched decsriptions you get in the brochures, beautiful, untouched and teeming with animals. The elephant family sightings were really special with babies frolicking and splashing about whilst the herd matriarch kept a watchful eye.

The staff were incredibly attentive, almost embarassingly so. I felt transported to a place of total calm and left Lukimbi wistfully wishing for just a few more days.

1  Thank TashJohannesburg
Reviewed 19 March 2009

I recently went on a trip with a number of my friends to Lukimbi Lodge. I do not condider myself a lover of nature or the bush, however I found the Lodge provided fabulous food, awesome service and luxurious rooms. The highlight of the trip for me was taking a bush walk through the Kruger and sneeking up on white Rhinos. Although scary, this is an experience I will never forget. Over and above the bush walks, the games drives provided an opportunity to view a whole lot more game than if I had driven through the Kruger National Park by myself. I am now a converted bush baby! This trip definately recharged my city life batteries!!!!!!