“Live the Dream!”

Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Lake Havasu City
Arizona
“Live the Dream!”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Ever dreamed of a hotel where: 1) the office didn't open till 8AM, 2) didn't start the continental breakfast till 8AM, 3) supplied bath towels with stains and long black hairs on them, 4) rooms are dated by 25+ years and have an old musty smell, and 5) charge for internet. Then may your dreams come true. I am giving two stars because the location is decent and because I have stayed at worse places. If I was forced to stay here again I would bring a sleeping bag.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Bommer1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed 12 December 2013

This resort is getting old and tired. "Breakfast" was supposed to be from 8 to 10 am; however, coffee was never made until after 8, ie 8:15 or so-guess it's a way to save money. Who among travelers doesn't want coffee earlier than that? Our room was clean but VERY NOISY. The people above us appeared to be up all night walking around, vacuuming?, whatever. All in all, not a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: No tip available since we had such a bad experience re upstairs noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Eugene H
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I booked this thinking it was the place a friend recommended but it was the wrong place. The room was clean, kitchen had everything you would need, bed & bath fine BUT... This is the noisiest place I have ever stayed! First, I had trouble getting to sleep because of kids screaming and playing somewhere outside well into the night and then at 3 am, I woke up to drunks screaming obscenities to each other across the pool/courtyard. This went on for about an hour so I finally gave up on sleep. What hotel/motel allows that kind of thing? We had paid for 2 nights but left after one. Because all of the rooms basically open to the courtyard, I don't think there is a room in the place that would be any quieter. It wasn't worth another nights missed sleep to stay so we just forfeited the money.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sunkeytravel

Travellers are raving about these Lake Havasu City hotels

Prescott, AZ
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

This was our first stay at the Sands, and I still can't decide if I'd go back. Carpets, beds, and towels were clean, but walls, door jams, and light switches were filthy. See my photo of the bathroom. Grossed me out. Pool seemed dirty, so we did not use. All of the rooms face the pool, so late at night, when loud drunk people are being loud, you can hear everything. Breakfast is included, but really meager. It's basically cereal and a pack of donuts, and once they are out, they are out. But the size of the rooms are good for families. And you can't beat the price.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank shannon_in_az
Lake Havasu City, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Stayed for the weekend visiting family. Nice size room. Pleasant staff. Decent quality hotel. Great coffee. Pool ammenities and tennis courts were a plus. I would stay again if I were coming to town. I would also recommend it to another if they were looking for an all suites hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Stayed for 4 nights. Rooms are very dated. We had a Queen Suite. The room was fairly large like an apartment but the furniture looked like it came from a garage sale. The room had a very strong cleaning odor that soon turned into a foul smell. The mattress on the bed was very uncomfortable and noisy. That being said, for the price we weren't surprised. However the keys kept malfunctioning in the door. The manager told us that they were having problems with the electronic card sensors in the doors and kept giving us new keys. On Saturday night we left for dinner to meet some friends. Armed with 2 brand new working keys that we doubled checked before we left, we went off to dinner. When we returned at about 11:45PM, low and behold, both cards would not let us in our room. So we went to the front office only to find it dark and closed. The sign on the door said closed, for emergencies please call….. So I called the number and got a message telling me to call another number. I called that number and got another message. But I was able to leave a message. In fact I left numerous messages and even texts. After about an hour standing at the door, I discovered on the internet that they have two other properties. We drove to the 2nd property only to find the same situation, dark and closed. The third property was dark and closed also but had a sign that said to push the button after hours. The manager of that hotel soon came out and we explained the story of being locked out. She was very nice and let us in the office. She called everyone associated with our hotel, general manager, owner’s, and still could not raise anyone. Finally I got a text from someone that said they would be at our hotel in 10 minutes to make us new keys. We rushed back and finally got in our room at 1:30AM. All we got was I’m sorry with no explanation’s. We will never stay there again. It’s amazing to me that they did not have anyone there after 10:00PM. Additionally while we were waiting at 12:30AM people were running all over the place, in the pool and Jacuzzi, loud parties, and no one in the office.

Room Tip: If you must stay there, make sure your room key works before the office closes for the night. Also d...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alan K
Bullhead City, Arizona
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Was in the area for a 2-night stay in part to celebrate my wedding anniversary. Here's my overall impressions.

ROOM: We stayed in a 1 room suite. It was as clean as it can be. It was a random collection of old furnishings and decor. In fact, the entire property seemed to be where all old, furnishings go to die. The kitchenette has a surprisingly full size fridge and freezer and a tiny 4-burner electric stove. There was an random pot, pan and miscellaneous cutlery supplied (like a dozen spoons and 2 forks). The floors and bed had plenty of squeaks, but was relatively comfortable.

CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST: Skip it! The hours were 8-10, outside and we got there at about 8:45. There was 2 choices of cereal (Frosted flakes and Raisan Bran [at least per label]) that frosted flakes were stale. The only bread choice was a cinnamon bread and it, too, was stale. There was a half pack of local grocery store donuts and cinnamon rolls and a few odds and ends tossed in. There was nobody else around so I don't know what kind of silent rush they had for the 45 minutes prior (our room was near the office).

POOL: All the rooms basically look out to the pool. It was actually nice to use. There was a small above ground spa that functioned well enough as well. The pool hours were apparently 8a - 11p, but the last night their clock must have run slow as there were a 2 groups in the pool till at least midnight that were fairly loud (the quieter group included children).

OVERALL: I doubt I'll be back. There are similar places for the same price. At check-in, I gave my name and the woman (nicely) said basically, sign here and pay now. Mentioned pool hours (I asked) and there was a fitness center and tennis/basketball court out back. Continental breakfast is 8-10. She slid a pouch that had our room key cards in it. No mention of the actual room, where it was or anything else. Next to two scribbled out spots was ehat we assumed was our room number. We found it and got settled in.
The website had a 1PM checkout (part of why I chose this place), so we were taking a lazy morning and planned checking out around noon. I was in the shower (decent) and my wife tapped on the door mentioning housekeeping tried to come in as it was an 11 o'clock check out (this was at about 11). By 11:15 we had a call from the front desk that the housekeeper was 'concerned' and a reminder of the 11 o'clock check out. I said we were about packed, but nobody told me 11 that everything else I knew was by 1. She ignored that with a O and disconnected the line. A few minutes later I entered the office to check out and the woman there asked me my room number, took the key cards and said OK. No thank you for staying, no how was your stay or anything.
Basically, I got what I paid for. A generally clean and moderately comfortable room. Skip the breakfast and don't expect much from the staff. Oh, and the fitness center was more of a disorganized storage area that had no functioning AC when we looked. On the plus side, they had plenty of parking even with some covered,

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple