“On The Water”

Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Lake Havasu City
CALIFORNIA
“On The Water”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Rooms were great for family. 2 queens and a sofa bed plenty of room. I know they have been redone not so long ago but still felt dated. But its the river. Clean, full size refrigerator was a nice surprise. Ground level lead right out to beach. Unloading the car to room if you are on ground level beach front is a little inconvenient and so is boat parking, which was surprising since this is a lake resort. Does have a decent launch ramp. Restaurant a bit over priced but fun for a drink. Check in may take some time on busier weekends.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Texas USA
Reviewed 6 May 2012

My hubby and I stopped in at the Nautical Inn on our way home as we crossed the country. We had a GREAT experience with the hotel, but the Watersports Center that rents boats is to be avoided at all costs - see details below. We verified with three staff at the hotel that they are both owned by the same company, just different legal names. As the hotel actively advertises and promotes the watersport center we wanted to make others aware.

First, we found much cheaper hotel rates online through tripadvisor than the registration desk offered. However, we were arriving a bit after midnight and they were going to let us check in and essentially get two nights for the price of one (essentially we checked in very, very early for the next night) so after they said they would waive the resort and misc fees we didn't quibble... getting 1.5 nights for the price of one without extra fees seemed generous. They were very polite, and very patient.

The rooms were nice and very VERY clean. Some might think the decorating was a bit outdated, but cleanliness and comfortable linens and beds win for us. The hotel was quiet, gorgeous views from the balcony, and the wifi for us was perfect.

WATERSPORT CENTER ISSUES - BEWARE!

We slep in and then decided to see if a boat rental was available. We have rented many boats in our travels, and in fact we live on a lake and have a boat at home (I mention this as we are boat familiar). We secured a half day rental for 1-5PM for approx $250. When we picked up the boat at 1pm the boat guy mentioned that they had just put a new prop on; we did the usual boat review and noting of damage and noted the new prop.

We then spent a wonderful 3.5 hours on the water, NEVER pulling up onto a beach but anchoring in a few coves and also just floating out in the open. Being midweek there were only about 4 other boats around, so it was quiet and nice. When we returned the boat to the rental center they told us there was a chip in the prop. We hadn't hit anything, never docked either, but felt that was the chance you take upon renting so we expected a $100 repair charge. We know for a fact that you can easily get prop knicks repaired for $50 or so, and then reuse the props.

We were stunned when they told us that if there is ANY knick they REPLACE the prop. For a charge of $325! Yes, when we rented they had us look over the charges price list and we knew a prop replacement would be this much - but who would think a few hours of floating would create a prop replacement? The boat guy then told us that "almost everyone that rents gets a prop charge" - his exact words. No kidding. So now you know that you need to budget for a PROP REPLACEMENT of $325 for any rental at this place.

He also mentioned that they previously uses stainless steel props but that they had to change due to the cost, so essentially they are using inferior inexpensive props that 100% of the cost is passed on to each and every customer instead of using quality parts and increasing each boat rental $10-15 each to cover the price difference.

We have rented boats many, many times and have NEVER had a charge for a prop nick at all. And then when we have one, they demand to replace the entire prop instead of a fix that would be reasonable.

We decided that if we were going to pay for the prop, we were going to take it with us. So we informed them of that decision, and they said it would be replaced that night and we could pick it up in the AM. When my hubby picked up the prop the next morning he found that they had a HUGE stack of brand new props, ready to replace as need be. We are now going to get the prop fixed for $50 locally and then sell it to a neighbor for the fix price; we won't recover any funds but we couldn't let them keep the prop after paying for it - it just seemed wrong.

So although I would say the hotel was nice, I would urge anyone to rent boats ANYWHERE ELSE. No where else have we ever rented a boat for 1/2 day $250 only to then be charged $325 on top of that. This is at worst a lazy rental establishment that would rather replace props and collect 100% of the cost, or at best a scam that replaces props and then fixes them and later reuses them...

I am eager to see hotel management comments. We complained to 2 people outside of the watersports center to ensure they knew of the issue, as I believe if everyone only complains at the watersport center then they probably don't pass those comments on to the hotel/resort management. BEWARE OF RENTALS HERE, THEY ARE SUBJECT TO EXTREME REPAIR COSTS!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
23 Thank txbikergirl

Travellers are raving about these Lake Havasu City hotels

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I loved it in the 70's for Spring Break, but it is starting to show some age. One thing you can't beat, the water front. Just pull your boat right up to the shore, in front of your room. So it wins the best location award.

Room Tip: Get a suite at the end of the row of rooms. There are several parties going on every night, get a r...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank irbflyfish
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I traveled to Lake Havasu for the fisrt time last week. I chose Nautical for location, golf, and generally pretty decent TA scores. I was surprised to see a very nice facility. I found the staff helpful and friendly and in most cases the facility was clean. There were room renovations under way. The new pool named "WET" is very nice and a great place to relax, enjoy the views to the lake. I will go back with my gf next time and stay longer.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Nomis58
thenautical, Guest Relations Manager at The Nautical Beachfront Resort, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear Nomis58,

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed The Nautical. I'm happy to announce that our room renovations are almost finished; we will be installing the new flat screen TV’s next week. On behalf of; The Nautical staff and myself we look forward to your return visit... Thanks for sharing your experience with us and all the TA travelers...
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Just got back from staying here for the past 4 nights and 5 days with a big group of friends...BEWARE of all additional taxes and charges...the "resort" daily fee that they charge for use of the water park that wasn't even open, the spotty wifi etc... lots of negatives here...rooms are very dated and I apparently was in one of the updated rooms. I get that this is a place for college kids that party during spring break( huge party in our building because of frat houses that checked in. They were all suppose to be in one building, but someone screwed up and put them in between all of us families. Hey I was young once, but I didn't need to be woken up to thumping bass at 8 am either) but a little more cleaning, lots of broken or non working things i.e. tv, air conditoner, better communication between staff etc would have gone a long way. The front desk clerk that checked my husband in was so rude and snippy but apparently has a personality disorder because she checked in my friends husband an hour later and was sweet...the convenience of being able to park our friends boats was the big plus here...however I don't know that we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Definitely ask to see the room before you check in.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank eme1970
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Great location on the lake. Newly updated rooms if you stay in one of the "beachside suites". Other rooms look very dated. Worth the higher rate. Bed very comfortable. The negatives - horrible wifi, pool not heated (need heat this time of year), no Jacuzzi. And they charge a resort fee for this bad wifi and freezing cold pool! Also, front desk staff not very knowledgeable on area so read up before you get there. And they are real stingy when it comes to pool towels. Just bring your own.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Shuteye1
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2012 via mobile

My review is from the point of view of a 15 year old girl so if you're planning on travelling with teenagers & wonder what they'll think hopefully this might help. However without sounding snobby, I like my 5* hotels and the thought of bedding it down in a cheap motel for the night with friends makes me skin crawl.

This place was hell on earth for me. We were automatically booked in here as part of our fly-drive but my parents & I agreed that if we weren't booked in then we would of just turned around and left.

The whole place was filthy! I mean you know the room hasn't been cleaned properly when you find coins underneath the radiator with something growing on it. The walls on both the interior and exterior were stained and there were hairs in the sink (which was already coated in limescale). And I suspect the decor of this 'hotel' was brought across with the bridge it was that outdated. I couldn't even sleep in my shorts & vest pyjamas because I didn't feel comfortable sleeping in the bed, who knows what was lurking in it...

Futhermore I know we travelled in spring break but that was no excuse for the hotel not cleaning up their mess. Smashed bottles, beer cans, and left over clothing were just some of the things we could see on the beach from our balcony. If we went for a walk around the site we got an even better view of 2 mattress in the middle of the grass. Oh and the majority of the guests were underage drunkards who the staff were laughing with.

Refusing to pay for (most likely contaminated) food here we walked to the bridge. We got great food at Shamroos - it's called something like that... - and then looked at some of the nearby hotels. I recommend the HEAT hotel, it looked friendly and it wasn't the nautical inn, therefore it would be a good place to stay.

Nevertheless when we arose (itching) the next morning at 7:30am (eager to leave asap) we at least knew that we were offered a free continental breakfast. Except we had to fetch the manager to get the cafeteria staff to open the doors even 15 minutes after opening time.

The best part of our one night stay here was driving away, end of review.

Stayed April 2012