My Husband and I stayed at Summerfields on the weekend of 8th-10th June 2012. We previously visited for a half day Spa package in June 2008, and we were given a peak of the rooms overlooking the Sabie River. Since then, I have always wanted to stay at the Summerfields Rose Retreat.
From the time we arrived on Friday at 11am (check-in is generally 2pm), we experienced the warmth of all working at Summerfields. We had a lovely lunch at the Riverside cafe, and the owner Andre came over to introduce himself to us, lovely gesture.
We were then taken to our rooms, which delightful, from the roses on the bedside table to the hot water bottles, outdoor shower and huge bath tub with views of the river below. This is not just any type of tent! There is sufficient plug points, aircon/heater (heater certainly came in handy for the chilly mornings and evenings in Winter). The bathroom also has a range of products to use, all made with roses from the Summerfields rose farm. The scent is amazing! I tried a shower and it was such an amazing feeling to be standing outside in complete privacy.
We had a couples aromatherapy massage at the spa, I maintain that Summerfields massages are the best I have ever experienced!! It is the only massage where I was able to fall asleep (both now and in 2008). Whether it is the heated massage beds, the pure aroma oils that smell like Heaven or the soothing sound of the Sabie River, Summerfields has the prefect recipe for an enjoyable massage.
The food at Summerfields is definitely first-class. They do not have a big menu, however whatever they do make is absolutely delicious. I advise for you to enquire about the menu prior to visiting, if you have specific dietary requirements.
I did enquire about the Rose farm tour, which we were not able to go on since it is on weekdays only. I can imagine what a gorgeous sight (and smell) it would be. Summerfields also grows their own organic veg, which is used in all of their dishes - very refreshing to know. Another thing I was extremely impressed with was the fact the in order to use the outdoor Jacuzzi, you have to make a booking. the Water is fresh for each guest, and prepared with roses, bubbles etc. I tried this in 2008 and it was great.
I really cannot fault Summerfields on anything in particular. The only downside is that in Winter, it is rather cold to be showering outside - it would be good if the outdoor bathroom section can be closed off in the same manner as the tent. Also, the Restaurant area is very nice with a marvellous view, however definitely chilly in Winter. They do have many outdoor gas heaters but this could be a problem on the bitterly cold days, where heaters are just not good enough. I also wonder what the lodge is like during rainy weather. Summerfields would be, in my opinion, PERFECT for warmer weather. Nonetheless, if I were given an opportunity to go back in Winter, I WOULD!
Thanks to Precious, Jameela, Audrey and the rest of the team at Summerfields.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Sanctuary of Roses and Luxury. A fusion of African sensibilities with notions of romance and luxury everywhere, Summerfields Rose Retreat and Spa is a true sanctuary for the senses. An extraordinary place of gourmet country-chic cuisine under the stars, spa treatments alongside the Sabie River, rose baths prepared by your personal butler and the soft scent of roses following your every move, allows for a renewed sense of spirit. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Summerfields Rose Retreat & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Summerfields Rose Retreat Hotel Hazyview
- Summerfields Rose Retreat And Spa