“Lucky for us”

Ranked #11 of 22 Hazyview B&B and Inns
Denia, Spain
“Lucky for us”
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Thank Heavens we ignored the nasty reviews and decided to visit Lions Rock for ourselves.Critique, when constructive, good or bad can be and is helpful to both owners and potential visitors, but vicious and seemingly vindictive remarks are both unhelpful and frankly pointless. We found the chalets spacious, spotlessly clean and well furnished, with nice clean linen and comfortable beds. The spa bath and separate shower a pleasant feature. All areas have tiled floors and nice bright rugs.The setting is peaceful, picturesque and very private. Marion & Bruce, we found delightful hosts,both extremely helpful and very friendly. It is refreshing to find hosts who believe in "service with a smile" and ensure it put before profit. Marion and Bruce's combined efforts for the fabulous breakfasts would befit any 4 star establishment world wide. Nothing was too much trouble for Marion & Bruce through out our stay, even to the point of arranging travel and booking of the local restaurant and also ensuring our last nights BBQ went without a hitch. Our friends had the "Bridal Chalet" which was exactly as pictured as was ours, both excellent. Finally, Bruce made their cinema room and bar available for us in the evening, what a star.
Our only regret is that we could not stay longer, as our return flights loomed too soon.
We will return to Lions Rock as both the chalets along with Marion & Bruce ended our holiday on a high.
Good times were had here, a BIG thank you Marion & Bruce
Daphne & Bob Spain

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Daphne S

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Cape Town
Reviewed 10 May 2013

First of all I must say, we have stayed in several dirty and unpleasant places in our lives before, but it was cheap and we knew for what we paid for. This time it was over expensive and extremely poorly maintained.

My family and I (with kid) decided have a luxury holiday and selected two venues for Easter weekend (28-30 April). 4 nights in 2 hotels around Kruger Park was enough. First 2 nights was in Lion Rock Golf Lodge.
We were only 30 minutes early and they said we cannot check in to the room as it was still being CLEANED. Its ok, we can wait... but payment the owner required settlement of right away even without us seeing the room. We paid in full and waited for check in. The invoice and keys was not given to us (I don’t why??), but finally the owner allowed us to have a rest in the room. And we felt more at ease.

First impression when I went to the room: was bad dead smell, poor old furniture, dirty room with granny style design, old dirty curtains, cheap carpets, old bed and poorly maintained bathroom. Where is my Luxury room which I paid R3,600 for 2 nights? This was not a 4* star Luxury, as they advertise, it barely 2* room! The kitchen in the room was so dirty and had such a bad smell that I could not stay inside. I looked around the Lodge for some better available rooms. I don’t mind paying double, but I can not sleep in a dirty place.

Finally the owner woman saw me outside and asked if she could help. “Yes you can, please do you have available a better room?”. She was extremely surprised that I asked for this. We went to the room and she started shouting at me in front of my husband and kid, that I have bad taste and don’t understand that this is LUXURY, and I have bad manners for asking something better for myself! She was continuously screaming at me and started acting: she was copying how I walk and how I wave to her (she mention that I waved to her like to the maid, when asking her to come inside the chalet). She started shouting at my husband and that time I also started losing my temper. Why someone would shout at me? Do I pay for this as well? I just wanted, if not LUXURY just at least a clean room!
I started to look closely at this room, maybe I really don’t understand about LUXURY??? The old tube TV was dirty and with dust, furniture absolutely dusty. When I open the bed covers there was on the sheets some fish moths running away from the bright sun light. There was sand on the bed and stains all over the bedding. Linen was not white colour, it was a GRAY colour!!!
Our bedding was not change and room never replace! I surprise how this people get their 4*. I never had been staid in such horrible place in SA! It was terrible Easter Weekends!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Julialex
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We stayed at Lions Rock in April 2013 for 4nights and would like to inform travellers that we really enjoyed our stay. The host Bruce & Marion been so friendly and helpful and we loved the breakfast each morning specially the fresh croissants! Our room was very clean and acceptable, comfortable bed and linen with a luxury spa bath & separate shower in the bathroom. We also had our own private sparkling swimming pool. Looking forward to stay at Lions Rock soon and definitely for more than 4nights!!!!

4 Thank RecpLily
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Thank you Marion and Bruce for a wonderful stay at your lovely lodge. Thanks for being such good people and thanks for making our stay as comfortable as possible.We will be back sooner than you thought.
Francois and Elmarie Bester.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

4 Thank Francois B
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 14 April 2013

My husband and I decided to 'treat' ourselves with a night in Hazyview following a couple of days in the bush in Hoedspruit. We found this establishment on Where to Stay and chose it due to the '4 star rating'. What a disapointment. We were in the "Honeymoon suite". In summary - OLD decor (looks like the owners decided to move all their old furniture that they don't want anymore into this room), Bedding VERY old fashioned (who doesn't know that the standard for bedding is white and duvets - NOT A BEDSPREAD), 'spa bath' which is so old an dirty I didn't touch it, no toilet paper, and to top it all, no extra blankets. Breakfast was included, but we could not get ourselves to eat as we were scared what we'll get. I wouldn't pay R250 a night to stay and they charged R1,500!!! Marion, you should be ashamed of yourself

4 Thank Theresa V
Huddersfield
Reviewed 10 December 2012

We last stayed at Lions Rock in May 2012, having stayed several times over the last few years and have never been disappointed.

The accommodation is excellent, clean, very spacious with wonderful views and excellent value.

The location is only 20 minutes drive to Phabeni Gate and handily placed for the scenic panoramic route.

Marion and Bruce are very friendly, will help with suggestions of places to visit or recommend places to eat etc if required but will leave you alone if that’s what you prefer.

Probably the best thing about Lions Rock is that it is one of those places you will have to go back to – and we will!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JulieWHuddersfield
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 7 December 2012

We have stayed at the Lions Rock Golf Lodge on 4 occassions during the past 3 years. The lodge is ideally situated close to the shopping Centre in which our stores are situated - close to work. The cottages are tastefully decorated and fully equiped to meet our self-catering needs. The view from the Lodge is spectacular even though we are only at the Lodge early in the mornings and late at night. The private splash pool with every cottage is so ideal especially in the hot summers. There is no need to worry about sharing a pool with other visitors allowing you to relax on your own. The reception at the Lodge is always warm and friendly. Marion and Bruce are friendly and kind people and always go far beyond the extra mile to make their guests feel welcomed and at home. A complimentary breakfast basket was available in our rooms every morning even though we were only charged bed only rates. We will most definately make use of the Lodge in the future. The Lodge is definately a home away from home. Warm regards Mandi de Sousa, Maggie Viviers and Lorraine Simango

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business