“Good, but watch out for frogs and lizards!”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Hazyview
New York City, New York
“Good, but watch out for frogs and lizards!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

My room was beautiful and critter-free, though it smelled musty. I know others who weren't so lucky. My suggestion? Email them ahead of time and tell them you dont want a room with a thatched roof or an externally facing room. Those were the rooms where they ended up with unwanted guests. Wifi in the bar area only. Do drink the Amarula.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Dragonlady15
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview, responded to this review, 4 March 2012
Hi Dragonlady15,

Good to hear you enjoyed your room and have had the opportunity to taste our famous African liquor "Amarula". Arguable the best drink to sip on while enjoying a beautiful sun downer on our lapa terrace.

Hope we can welcome you back soon (without too much inconveniences caused by some of the Hazyview’s frogs, lizards and critters…

At your service,

Vanessa Hoover – General Manager
Protea Hotel Hazyview

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

I stayed here for two nights with a tour group.
My room, in the main building, was spacious, well-appointed and comfortable, though I feel the cleaning could have been a bit more thorough.
The grounds are attractively planted with a range of flowering trees and shrubs and there is a good view of the surrounding countryside.
The staff were helpful.
I appreciated the free, unlimited computer use.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Just a quick note of thanks for your kinds words and pointing out some further areas of improvement. I will share your feedback with the entire team at the hotel. Dont forget to pay us a visit next time around when visiting the Kruger Park area!

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

We moved out of Hazypark Lodge after 1 night and b0oked in at Protea Hazyview and the service was beyond our expectations including the family room was clean comfortable.
I will book at this hotel for my next holidays when visiting Mpumalanga area.My children will also use this hotel in future as they were impressed with the service.
Currently Iam in the process of organising a for a team building workshop for my subordinates and will book in this hotel as I have also recommended this hotel to my colleagues.

Room Tip: Family room
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Elvis N
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Dear Elvis,

What an excellent review!

Thank you on behalf of the entire team at the Protea Hotel Hazyview. We would be thrilled to host you, your kids, your colleagues and anyone else close to you in nearby future.

We are looking forward welcoming you back upon your next visit to beautiful Mpumalanga.

At your service,

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

We stayed at this property for one night on the 13th of august after exploring the panorama route. The property has just gone through some renovations. We stayed in one of the renovated rooms. The decor is contemporary and elegant. The problems were that the room didn't have a working phone, the shower head was not connected properly and when you ran the faucet on the sink, water spewed from the base of the sink. The room was not ready for guests. When we complained the front desk admitted to knowing about the phone not working, but feigned ignorance about the other issues. We were so tired, we didn't have the energy to check out or to request a room change. The restaurant was okay, nothing special. The people were friendly and engaging. The beds were very comfortable and the room was very clean.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Vanessa H, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview, responded to this review, 3 October 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. i was saddened to hear that you experienced a few problems during your stay with us. I have addressed these issues with my team and can assure sure that this is not our usual standard. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Protea Hazyview Hotel.
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

My husband and I spent two nights here while touring Kruger. The rooms are very large. The bath is modern and well appointed. The staff were routinely friendly and helpful. The grounds are gorgeous. We had lunch on the terrace, perched above the pool with a lovely view of the distant hills.

The buffet dinner we ate on our first night was delicious and varied. I was impressed with how the hotel handled our big group of 37 people. The 4:30 a.m. coffee and rusks were set up faithfully each morning before the game drives and served by a smiling, cheery employee. The barbeque held on our last night there was also delicious and served skillfully.

The hotel is close to Kruger's Numbi Gate. I recommend it as a portal to the park.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank MiaKay
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
Thank you for your generous review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us as well the fact you thoroughly appreciated the beautiful lush surroundings of our hotel. Furthermore, I will pass on your kind words on your dining and breakfast experiences to the entire team.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,

Vanessa Hoover – General Manager
Germiston, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

We stayed for one night after the kruger and were very impressed with the staff from the security gaurds when we entered to the cleaning staff in our room, they were very polite and helpful.
The rooms are spacious, clean and quite!

I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Vanessa H, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview, responded to this review, 19 September 2011
Thank you for the kind recommendations! The wonderful feedback on the service received will be shared with everyone at the hotel....

Looking forward welcoming you back soon!

Warm regards,

Johannesburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

On monday the 15th of August, after a tierdfull bussiness day, and being a old Protea client, I booked into the Protea Hotel Hazyview. I found reception to be welcoming and warm, as per all Protea's standards. But to my dismay, I had the unpleasant experience of a senior lady staff member repremanding and sculding a staff member in view of the public. I just feel as a director of a companies, there is a time and place for words of guidens and repremanding. Futher more my stay was enjoyable. Dinner was good, room was clean, the usual that you would expect from your hotel group.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank PatricJohannesburg
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview, responded to this review, 8 September 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay at Protea Hotel Hazyview. It’s highly appreciated and will be used constructively to consistently improve our product and service standards.

I would like to confirm that your comments have been passed on to the entire management team and corrective action has been taken to ensure that this is not a repeating occurrence.
Your interest and concern are much appreciated. I do hope you will allow us the opportunity to be of service to you again and welcoming you to our beautiful hotel again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Vanessa Hoover
General Manager – Protea Hotel Hazyview
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hazyview
Hippo Hollow Country Estate
#2 of 12 in Hazyview
aha Casa do Sol
aha Casa do Sol
#7 of 12 in Hazyview

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview? Share your experiences!