“This picture is not worth a thousand words!!”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Hazyview
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

We booked in here for the weekend as we usually stay in protea hotels. To my dissapointment, I have to agree with the other less complimenting reviews. Location was not too good, service was poor, guards were more polite than lady at reception. We were first told that it would be ok to book in at 12 but when we got there, the rooms were apparently still dirty and had to wait for 2pm. There is NO Internet connection available in the hotel rooms although that is not what is stated in the information book. The tennis court is in bad condition and we were also told that there is no longer a games room as its now used for a conference room. The room is nicely done up but the water doesn't get very hot. Neighbours are also clearly heard even when windows and doors are shut.What surprises me is that other reviewers have pointed out some of the points above and the Manager has acknowledged those issues but nothing has really been done. All in all we could have got better for the price.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank reona
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Dear "reona",

Thank you for taking the time and effort to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay with us. I was most concerned to read your review and learning that we have not been able to meet and exceed your expectations. But without your comments, we would never know whether you left our establishment completely satisfied, but more importantly, feel disappointed and dissatisfied.

May I take this opportunity to ask you to contact me directly via gm@thehazyviewhotel.co.za and provide me with the required detail on the service and product issues experienced? This will help us tremendously in tackling all matters raised. Your cooperation in this matter is truly appreciated!

Reviewed 17 May 2013

We found our stay at Protea Hotel in Hazyview to be our least favorite of the ten hotels we stayed at during our three week trip to South Africa, Zambia and Swaziland. The facility LOOKS very nice with quaint rustic rooms nestled in a lush park and the town of Hazyview is convenient for visiting Kruger Park. However, we found the Protea Hotel had several logistical issues and problems related to lack of managerial supervision of the staff: 1) Internet service was not available at all during our two day stay, 2) On our first day, after an all day excursion, we came back to our room at 5 PM to find nobody had cleaned our room. By that time the housekeeping staff had already gone home for the day and the front desk sent us a clean set of towels, 3) Our first game drive was scheduled to depart at 5:30 AM, which is normal, so we needed to have dinner rather early the night before. Our group of ten people entered the dining room when it first opened and although we were the only guests at that time we had to wait for at least 20 minutes while the waitstaff talked and joked among themselves. We finally had to ask someone to come to our table, 4) One couple in our group was assigned a room that was uninhabitable due to loud noises coming from the water pipes which they endured all night. While the hotel did not seem to be full, this couple was concerned about the condition of the non-occupied rooms (could they possibly be worse?). All-in-all, we had a dreadful stay at this hotel since the restaurant cuisine was mediocre at best, the rooms seemed to be in need of a good cleaning and the staff lacked managerial supervision. There are several other lodges in Hazyview so surely there are better alternatives.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

Dear "Mascalzone",

The TEAM and I are very disappointed to hear your feedback on your recent stay with us. Our sincere apologies for not being able to exceed your expectations and I can assure you we will look into each element raised.

During your stay, we indeed experienced a telecom failure which effected our internet services at the hotel. Although we unfortunately cant control this element ourselves and we rely on external telkom services, we do apologise for the inconvenience this has caused. Secondly, together with the housekeeping TEAM, we will investigate why (1) your room had not been cleaned after your first night, as this is a normal hotel standard and we generally do not experience any issues in adhering to it. And secondly, I will carefully look at why your fellow group member had not been given an alternative room in order to avoid the noise experienced from a water pipe. Our rooms at the hotel are all recently refurbished and all of a high standard, hence there should have been no problem to reallocate your group member on the day, if available.

Once again, together with the rest of the management team at the hotel, we will review the service lapses noted and ensure we learn from our mistakes. We do hope your recent experience will not deter you from visiting us again when returning to the Hazyview area, allowing us to convince you of the level of hospitality offered at the hotel.

Vanessa Hoover - Protea Hotel Hazyview

Reviewed 15 May 2013

I have stayed at this hotel three times now - mostly because of the conference facilities. The conference facilities are excellent and very professionally managed, but it stops there. I really cannot say that this place left a good impression on me. Whilst the view and decor are beautiful, the place lacks warmth and attention to detail. The staff just don't seem to be happy and cheerful and don't really serve their guests graciously. They are also really inflexible and keep referring to 'the rules' of the hotel. I have stayed in three different rooms and there were ants in all of them and in the one room, they were all over the bed! However, my main disappointment has got to be the food. The food is incredibly bland and unsatisfying. Although there are many options, it is just not prepared well at all. We just find ourselves not looking forward to the meals because it always disappoints. It's baffling that a place that is so popular could have such a low standard when it comes to the food. We still have 5 more conferences that we had planned to host at this venue, but are reconsidering because we cannot face eating there again....

Room Tip: The rooms near the road are noisy. Rather book rooms near the pool.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2013

Dear "Dani N",

Thank you for the honest feedback on your stay with us. You can imagine that the TEAM and I are disappointed to hear that we have not been able to exceed your expectations when conferencing with us. I can assure you that we take your feedback very seriously and we would like to get further detail on which areas of service and / or facilities have let you down. Please be so kind to contact me directly via gm@thehazyviewhotel.co.za and provide me with the required detail.

Your cooperation in this matter is truly appreciated!

Reviewed 3 May 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Protea Hazyview after getting bumped from staying at Hippo Hollow. We went on a Groupon deal and the change was made at the last minute (learned about it upon arrival in Johannesburg). We just rolled with it and finally made it there after a long drive. We got checked in without a problem and wheeled our luggage a couple hundred yards to the room. It was spacious and quiet enough.

There is a lounge and restaurant which were decent. You will spend some time at both of these places since the hotel is located away from town and other amenities. If we had stayed at Hippo Hollow, we would have been able to walk to shops and restaurants. We made the best of it and enjoyed some good meals, mostly outdoors near the lounge.

On a down day, we hung out by the pool and mostly had the place to ourselves. Near the pool was a trampoline, which was out of order or in disrepair. Not that we wanted to bounce, but odd that it wasn't operable. The pool was nice, though I only took a short swim as it was actually quite cold. Still, it felt refreshing in the hot African sun. A couple of times, we saw troops of Vervet moneys feeding in the trees.

Generally, we had a good stay here. Our biggest issue had to do with internet access. While on trips, my wife enjoys sharing our adventures by updating a travel blog. We were told that the rooms had WiFi access. We tried connecting in the room unsuccessfully. I asked at the lounge and they said that it was only available near the lounge. So, I tried to connect from there and couldn't. They said something was wrong with the internet connection. OK, then why do they advertise in-room WiFi in the room's guest book? Very odd.

I also noticed that the hotel has likely seen better days. As we were waiting to leave, I wandered around a bit and noticed the tennis courts...well...what was left of them. There were fallen trees and no apparent effort to remove and repair the damage. Glad we didn't go there to get some tennis in!

Room Tip: Rooms without another one above are best. Ask for one with a good view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BillBraz
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2013

Dear "Billbrazz",

Thank you for the candid and generally positive feedback on your recent stay with us. We are glad we were given the opportunity to host you during your trip through South Africa.

We regret the fact that you experienced issues with our internet services at the hotel. We were aware of the connectivity problems on the day - and restored these services to our guests soon after. Due to the remote location of the hotel, we unfortunately rely on various third parties to supply and service our internet connection. Clearly, this does not always guarantee seamless connection. Again, our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Do make sure you pay us another visit upon your next trip to South Africa.

Warm regards from myself and the TEAM,

Reviewed 2 May 2013

The rooms unfortunately had bugs. Were not very clean. The sheets were used by the previous tenants which we found uncomfortable. Bugs & cockroaches in the room . Food was good. The staff were OK only.

Room Tip: Not sure what could be done to improve this .
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rama1004

Dear "Rama1004",

Thank you for the feedback! The TEAM and I are very surprised to hear of your disappointing experience when it comes to our room facilities at the Protea Hotel Hazyview.

With regards to the issues raised around room cleanliness - I can assure you that we do not re-use bed linen as each and every guests are supplied with fresh linen by our housekeeping team. Did you bring this issue to our attention while at the hotel so this could have been rectified with immediate effect? The hotel rarely receives negative comments around room cleanliness levels, exempt for an occasional visit of an insect that lives in and around the Hazyview area. But not to the extend that it would negatively influence a guest experience.

I sincerely hope you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in our hospitality levels by visiting us again in future, when returning to South Africa.

Reviewed 31 March 2013

My girlfriend and I booked in last night (late arrival). The receptionist was very helpful but left all alone to deal with us and a particularly awkward customer (also late arrival). There was no porter to assist with luggage. The room was apparently recently renovated. It was comfortable although a bit noisy at times. There were no bath tiles in the room which took a long walk to reception (room phone wasn't working). Housekeeping wasn't available so I took the tiles from reception to the room myself. The bed was a bit soft by comparison to other recently visited establishments but it was ok. Sleep was disturbed by music and singing at 6.30am. The shower does not maintain a constant temperature. We didn't do breakfast at the added cost as we didn't want to run the risk of added disappointment. Would we be back? It's unlikely unless there isn't any other alternative. The price is very high for room only and I expected a bit more than what was available.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2013

Dear "TheRoyalTraveller",

Thank you for your candid feedback on your stay with us last night. Of course, we are disappointed to hear we have not been able to exceed your expectations and we sincerely apologies for the series of issues experienced during your short stay. I can assure you this is not of the standard we strive to offer to each and every guest staying at our beloved hotel.

I will most certainly investigate why there were no bath towels available in your room upon arrival and determine the reason for the malfunctioning of your in room phone as this is not common practice. Unfortunately, we do not offer porter service as a 3 star hotel, however all of our TEAM members would normally be more than happy to assist you with luggage when and where required. I do understand reading your review that there was only one TEAM member available at the time of your arrival, which I apologize for.

We do hope that your recent experience will not deter you from visiting us again in future, so we can restore full confidence in our product and service offering at our hotel.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 24 January 2013

Stayed in the Hazyview for 3 nights in Dec 2012. 3 rooms later, I had a somewhat acceptable room. 1st was incorrect as per booking, 2nd was infested by Ants. the 3rd was acceptable except the shower was barely warm. The staff were not up to standard except for 1 male staff member on reception. He was the only 1 who seemed to be able to sort things.
Food in the dinning room was between cold and warm at breakfast and evening buffet. No cook to order available in dinning room, however you could have it for room service.
Room service failed on 2 counts. 1 - forgot about order. had to reorder 40mins later. 2 - failed to return with an ice bucket after delivering food and wine.
Requested meeting with management for the morning of checkout. Management failed to meet.
On checkout could find no reference to my prepayment. Staff were in a panic to try find it.
Also, The WIFI was not working anyplace, The Internet booth at reception was not working. Staff did not know when it would be fixed. As a traveller and needing to plan, next steps of trip, this was a big issue.
Room doors had large gap at the bottom.. so local wildlife and insects could enter room. So the Ants mentioned above were not the only hazard. Had to use a towel to block off this gap.
Result.... I complained in writing to the hotel group. Received a typical ( not our usual standard) reply from the Hazyview Manager, offering a 2 night complimentary stay. As I live in Ireland, returning for 2 free nights is not possible.
As a regular of other Protea hotels, member of their loyalty program (PROCARD), It would be nice/better to receive some PROCARD RANDS to use elsewhere.
Personally I would normally recommend Protea hotels, but not this one.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Dear "wmccorma",

As mentioned in our earlier communication, we sincerely apologise for the extremely disappointing experience during your recent stay. The serie of issues experienced are unacceptable and most definitely not of the standard we strive to offer to all of our guests at the Protea Hotel Hazyview.

We have discussed your earlier feedback in minor detail with the entire TEAM and have taken the necessary action to avoid these serious inconsistencies in service from reoccurring. As mentioned, we do hope you will take us op on our offer and we will be able to host you at the Protea Hotel Hazyview once more in the future. This to restore confidence in our operation as well as your confidence in the Protea brand.

Protea Hotel Hazyview

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hazyview
Hippo Hollow Country Estate
Summerfields Rose Retreat & Spa
Graskop Hotel
Graskop Hotel
#1 of 3 in Graskop

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview? Share your experiences!