“People are fabulous; rooms have some maintenance issues”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Hazyview
Reviewed 3 October 2013

The property is beautiful and the food is excellent. However, you need to check your room before accepting it. I ended up staying in the fourth room offered because three prior rooms had major issues like non-working air conditioning, etc.

That said, the front desk and housekeeping workers were wonderful and I felt like they were good friends before the end of my stay. I really enjoyed my stay and would stay there, again. But, I would check the room first. lol

Room Tip: Not all of the rooms are up to par. Some are excellent and some are not, so check it out before acc...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear "Westgalady",

Thank you for the kind recommendations of our beloved Protea Hotel Hazyview!

We are of course extremely pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and will pass on your compliments on the service received by our TEAM members. We do regret that you have experienced some issues when checking into your room. Our rooms have recently been refurbished and are generally of a great standard and in working order. Clearly, you have experienced something different which is not of the standard you can expected. We will investigate the issues noted and will address this immediately.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Protea Hotel Hazyview soon!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 12 August 2013

This hotels setting is stunning; the landscaped gardens were lovely and had a very tranquil feel to them. The rooms were themed like a safari lodge and this added to the experience of the hotel. Similar to other Protea hotels I stayed in they were well furnished, comfortable and very pleasant to stay in. The bathroom was also of a high standard.

There was an internet terminal in the main lobby which was fine for checking emails or the football scores! Service was also very good as in all other Protea hotels.

I was not overly impressed with the buffet dinner, but I am not a fan of buffet meals. The breakfast was very good though.

The hotel is an easy 15-20 minute drive to Kruger National Park and this is a good hotel to base yourself for a Kruger adventure!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Martia_C
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Dear "Martia_C",

Thank you for the "Beautiful Review"!! We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed our beautiful property in the heart of the lowveld. We will certainly celebrate this with the entire TEAM at the hotel.

We regret to hear that we were not able to impress you with the food on offer on our dinner buffet. I will discuss your criticism with our Chef in our weekly meeting and inform him at the same time that you did enjoy the breakfast offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Your sincerely,

Reviewed 6 August 2013

We have just returned from a long weekend at this hotel. It is a nice country hotel
Check in was quick and easy, no hassles. The lobby is not huge, but is welcoming.

We then made our way to our room. To get to our room, we had to pass the courtyard where the conference centre, bar and restaurant were situated. This set up is convenient because everything is close by.

The room itself was nice, reasonably spacious, with a nice modern bathroom with a huge shower. But we were disappointed to note that we did not have a double bed. My wife quickly went to reception to ask if there was another room available, and there was, but it was not as nice as our room, having a shower in the bath, and the room seemed a bit smaller, so we opted to stay in our original room. We did ask that they put one of those mattresses over the two existing mattresses to convert the bed into a king size bed. It seemed they did not know what we wanted, but they did try, even if it was not so successful. It is a bit strange that they did not know how to do this, as it was not a problem at another Protea hotel just down the road.

I needed a large ice bucket, and this was provided from the bar with no problem. Josiah was extremely helpful in knowing exactly what I wanted, and even helped me by carrying it the room for me. Josiah is a shining example of what the staff at this hotel is like. All the staff were very polite and friendly. But we then experienced another glitch on our return from the Kruger Park the next day. The ice bucket and a dirty glass were still in the passage outside our room. Housekeeping had replaced only one towel, and not provide two towels, and the surplus bedding had not been removed. A quick call rectified this.

I did find that the noise from an adjacent room's A/C unit was a bit intrusive. Something that needs to be looked at by management. It did not keep us awake, but was not always pleasant.

We only ate one breakfast at the hotel, and it was standard buffet breakfast fare. Tasty and filling, but nothing out of the ordinary. However, the lady that did my omelette was very generous with my cheese filling, giving me what I wanted.

The hotel is also well located, just a few minutes drive into Hazyview, and well located for exploring Mpungulanga. But best of all is its close proximity to the Kruger National Park, and 3 of the entrance gates. The hotel has very pretty gardens, nice pool and kiddies play area. There is also sufficient parking.

This hotel has great potential and will move up from being just a nice hotel to great hotel if attention to detail is improved. Things like booking a married couple into a twin room rather than a double, for example, and the issues mentioned above.

We had a pleasant 3 nights at the hotel, and would definitely book in again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brutus_8
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear "Brutus_8",

We appreciate your honest but more importantly - detailed feedback. Especially the recommendations around the service received by our TEAM members will be shared and celebrated!

Our apologies for dropping the ball on some of the room standards and for not fully addressing some of the issues experienced. I will run the TEAM through the feedback provided and ensure a full understanding on how to deal with these situations is established.

Lastly, I have asked the Maintenance Manager to check the aircon settings as the noise polution experienced is not a normal or acceptable standard, hence requires to be fixed. Thank you for pointing this out.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Stayed at the Hotel the evening of August 1st under the booking name of Cowley. Just booked in, and as it was a little late, went to Perrys Bridge in Hazyview for supper so didnt make much use of the facilities.
On our return all seemed ok, but we did notice that the fridge in the room was empty, lights were not plugged in and there were no towels to have a shower.
All resolved eventually, but one would think that this sort of " detail" is checked by Housekeeping before allowing someone to occupy the room

Room Tip: Simple check of room once you arrive to make sure all that is supposed to be there is, and that what...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear "Gerald D",

Greetings from the Protea Hotel Hazyview TEAM!

Thank you for your constructive feedback and our apologies for the facility lapses experienced. Although its a hotel and brand standard that the in-room bar fridge is empty and not serviced as a mini bar, we regret to hear the towels in your room were lacking and some of the standing lamps were not plugged in.

I have already shared this with the management team and will ensure this will be focused on going forward. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

We booked in here for the weekend as we usually stay in protea hotels. To my dissapointment, I have to agree with the other less complimenting reviews. Location was not too good, service was poor, guards were more polite than lady at reception. We were first told that it would be ok to book in at 12 but when we got there, the rooms were apparently still dirty and had to wait for 2pm. There is NO Internet connection available in the hotel rooms although that is not what is stated in the information book. The tennis court is in bad condition and we were also told that there is no longer a games room as its now used for a conference room. The room is nicely done up but the water doesn't get very hot. Neighbours are also clearly heard even when windows and doors are shut.What surprises me is that other reviewers have pointed out some of the points above and the Manager has acknowledged those issues but nothing has really been done. All in all we could have got better for the price.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank reona
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Dear "reona",

Thank you for taking the time and effort to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay with us. I was most concerned to read your review and learning that we have not been able to meet and exceed your expectations. But without your comments, we would never know whether you left our establishment completely satisfied, but more importantly, feel disappointed and dissatisfied.

May I take this opportunity to ask you to contact me directly via gm@thehazyviewhotel.co.za and provide me with the required detail on the service and product issues experienced? This will help us tremendously in tackling all matters raised. Your cooperation in this matter is truly appreciated!

Reviewed 17 May 2013

We found our stay at Protea Hotel in Hazyview to be our least favorite of the ten hotels we stayed at during our three week trip to South Africa, Zambia and Swaziland. The facility LOOKS very nice with quaint rustic rooms nestled in a lush park and the town of Hazyview is convenient for visiting Kruger Park. However, we found the Protea Hotel had several logistical issues and problems related to lack of managerial supervision of the staff: 1) Internet service was not available at all during our two day stay, 2) On our first day, after an all day excursion, we came back to our room at 5 PM to find nobody had cleaned our room. By that time the housekeeping staff had already gone home for the day and the front desk sent us a clean set of towels, 3) Our first game drive was scheduled to depart at 5:30 AM, which is normal, so we needed to have dinner rather early the night before. Our group of ten people entered the dining room when it first opened and although we were the only guests at that time we had to wait for at least 20 minutes while the waitstaff talked and joked among themselves. We finally had to ask someone to come to our table, 4) One couple in our group was assigned a room that was uninhabitable due to loud noises coming from the water pipes which they endured all night. While the hotel did not seem to be full, this couple was concerned about the condition of the non-occupied rooms (could they possibly be worse?). All-in-all, we had a dreadful stay at this hotel since the restaurant cuisine was mediocre at best, the rooms seemed to be in need of a good cleaning and the staff lacked managerial supervision. There are several other lodges in Hazyview so surely there are better alternatives.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

Dear "Mascalzone",

The TEAM and I are very disappointed to hear your feedback on your recent stay with us. Our sincere apologies for not being able to exceed your expectations and I can assure you we will look into each element raised.

During your stay, we indeed experienced a telecom failure which effected our internet services at the hotel. Although we unfortunately cant control this element ourselves and we rely on external telkom services, we do apologise for the inconvenience this has caused. Secondly, together with the housekeeping TEAM, we will investigate why (1) your room had not been cleaned after your first night, as this is a normal hotel standard and we generally do not experience any issues in adhering to it. And secondly, I will carefully look at why your fellow group member had not been given an alternative room in order to avoid the noise experienced from a water pipe. Our rooms at the hotel are all recently refurbished and all of a high standard, hence there should have been no problem to reallocate your group member on the day, if available.

Once again, together with the rest of the management team at the hotel, we will review the service lapses noted and ensure we learn from our mistakes. We do hope your recent experience will not deter you from visiting us again when returning to the Hazyview area, allowing us to convince you of the level of hospitality offered at the hotel.

Vanessa Hoover - Protea Hotel Hazyview

Reviewed 15 May 2013

I have stayed at this hotel three times now - mostly because of the conference facilities. The conference facilities are excellent and very professionally managed, but it stops there. I really cannot say that this place left a good impression on me. Whilst the view and decor are beautiful, the place lacks warmth and attention to detail. The staff just don't seem to be happy and cheerful and don't really serve their guests graciously. They are also really inflexible and keep referring to 'the rules' of the hotel. I have stayed in three different rooms and there were ants in all of them and in the one room, they were all over the bed! However, my main disappointment has got to be the food. The food is incredibly bland and unsatisfying. Although there are many options, it is just not prepared well at all. We just find ourselves not looking forward to the meals because it always disappoints. It's baffling that a place that is so popular could have such a low standard when it comes to the food. We still have 5 more conferences that we had planned to host at this venue, but are reconsidering because we cannot face eating there again....

Room Tip: The rooms near the road are noisy. Rather book rooms near the pool.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Hazyview, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2013

Dear "Dani N",

Thank you for the honest feedback on your stay with us. You can imagine that the TEAM and I are disappointed to hear that we have not been able to exceed your expectations when conferencing with us. I can assure you that we take your feedback very seriously and we would like to get further detail on which areas of service and / or facilities have let you down. Please be so kind to contact me directly via gm@thehazyviewhotel.co.za and provide me with the required detail.

Your cooperation in this matter is truly appreciated!