“Absolutely Delightful”

Rissington Inn
Kent
“Absolutely Delightful”
Reviewed 22 March 2008

We have just returned to Canterbury England from South Africa having stayed at Sabi River Sun and were recommended to this delightful hotel. We eventually found our way up a long narrow track and came across this amazing hotel situated in most beautiful gardens. We arrived for a coffee mid morning (the service and welcome were excellent) we decided to return for an evening meal later in the week. The menu had so much to offer and it was very difficult to choose. My husband had a steak and he had to say that it was the most tender piece of steak he had ever had and cooked to pefection. Delicious! Even now back in home he still mentions his steak! It was such a lovely meal, incidentally, I had trout which too was gorgeous. We cannot wait to visit Rissington Inn again and will definitely be back next year when we return to our timeshare. A big thank you to Chris and his staff who made us so welcome.

• Liked — Comfort
  • Disliked — No comment
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Welwyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2008

Having read previous reviews I can see that we made the mistake of staying when Chris, the owner, was not resident. The place lacked any management presence while we were there and I think we can see why. The setting for the various rooms and lodges is superb. Our Garden room was OK but the furniture was a bit mixed and the siting of the lighting in the room purely random and reading a book at night was impossible. The food in the restaurant was of average quality and the service appalling one night when all the tables were in use and the kitchen couldn't cope. This accomodation needs a higher quality of staff and training to meet it's potential when the so-called 'Chris' isn't around

• Liked — Garden setting
  • Disliked — Confused room furnishings and lighting
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DaiBell
SeriousMpumalanga, owner at Rissington Inn, responded to this review, 2 September 2008
A couple of reviewers have mentioned that some of Rissington's rooms needed a refurbishment and we have taken this into account recently and carried out a substantial upgrading of linen and 'softs', giving all the rooms new curtains and fresh furnishings and pictures. We have also stepped up the provision of little luxuries and added even more of those 'little touches' that have always been our trademark. The gardens, restaurant and bar have also been upgraded and a new menu implemented. I (Chris the often-referred-to owner) am now at the lodge much of the time again - now that I am taking a breather from writing books - and I look forward to sharing many a tale in the bar with my guests. And should I not be there, I am confident that the new managers (who started in May 2008) will make guests just as welcome as I would myself. They are brilliant and Rissington just goes on getting better!
worcestershire
Reviewed 21 March 2008

My wife & I loved Rissington. The owner (Chris) makes you very welcome. The grounds a great, the food is very good. The location just outside the Kruger is ideal.

• Stayed September 2005
Phoenix AZ
Reviewed 29 February 2008

Just stayed at the Rissington Inn
It was a walk in, loved it! this place had an excellent food at the restaurant( english cuisine) breakfast was also very english!
There is no AC in the room but once the fan is on you will not miss it. very relaxing place!

• Liked — Hospitality and the dogs!!
  • Disliked — Stairs!
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zoyzoy
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2008

Having read the previous reviews on the Rissington Inn we felt we could not really go wrong, sadly we were very disappointed.

We had an 18 night tour of South Africa and apart from the lodgings in the Kruger National Park (which were 25% of the cost of the Rissington and excellent value for money) this was by far the poorest of the accommodation we stayed at AND the most expensive.

We had the hillside suite called Pumalanga and it was extremely tired and in need of a makeover, particularly the bathroom. We had taken the option of prebooking dinner at R140 per head but found we could easily have had the same meal cheaper by going a la carte. The food was not at all what we were expecting i.e. superb food, it was very ordinary and certainly the word 'gourmet' does not come into the equation.

The grounds are very nice, the staff are very friendly and helpful, but I would give the Rissington a 3 star rating as the accommodation and food do not in our opinion stand up to anything higher.

• Liked — Pleasant grounds
  • Disliked — Accommodation was tired and the food ordinary
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank mercury50
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2008

Stayed at Rissington Inn in December. A very beautiful property in wonderful grounds and a restaurant serving good, hearty food (though hardly gourmet). The service is above and beyond what you would expect, but I think B&Bs where the owner is in residence (Chris, mentioned by earlier reviewers, is now absent) have that little something extra that is lacking here. The garden room we had was enormous, but what a pity that it should have been ‘designed’ – and I use the word reluctantly – without the slightest nod to style, taste or quality. Cheap pine and wicker furniture and dull bathroom fittings give the place a ‘thrown together’ look. It could have been anywhere in the world: not a touch of Africa about it. I suspect all the money goes on the upkeep of the gardens. The surrounding area offers lots to see and do, but I was frankly disappointed with the accommodation. I know it is inexpensive, but a few cushions and some more attractive curtains than the tatty ones falling from the rails would make all the difference. Oh, and the pillows are some of the worst I have ever slept on (and I’ve slept on some truly bad pillows). This sadly spoilt what was otherwise a good, big, comfortable bed. Also, it was cooler than usual for the time of year but still uncomfortably hot iin the rooms. Without air conditioning, it would be unbearable in the sort of temperatures usually felt here in summer.

• Liked — Spacious and quiet
  • Disliked — Dull, dull, dull
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amazonian
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Reviewed 14 June 2007

Stayed here in May at the recommendation of our trusty Frommer's guide and those that wrote in to Tripadvisor before us. We are very glad we did.

Travelling in May affords many opportunities others never experience: low rates, sparse crowds and more personal service. Rissington provided this and so much more. Comfortable garden rooms with an outdoor shower and large patio area - great for viewing sunsets. The service was informative, pleasant and eager to please - almost wanting us to ask them questions that would make our stay even more memorable. The location, close to Kruger and a perfect springboard to the Panorama Route, was hard to beat, making the rather slow, bumpy drive up to the inn very much worthwhile. The bed, linens and turndown service was impeccable but we must admit, what we loved most about Rissington was the fantastic restaurant on site - large, exquisitely prepared, gourmet meals - each for about R60! We ate there each of our three nights, tried something new every time and were never disappointed.

Many thanks to the staff (Gweneviere and all) that really made our stay complete. You'll be hard pressed to find a better value and experience around Hazyview. We highly recommend this property and when back, will not hesitate to book again.

• Liked — Retaurant and large, comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — No TV in room
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple