“Numbi Revisited”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Hazyview
Adelaide
“Numbi Revisited”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2008

In July 2008 I stayed again at the Numbi hotel and once more found it a friendly, welcoming place to overnight.
Each time I have been impressed with the jolly staff ,clean and comfortable rooms and secure/safe locality.

• Liked — Jovial staff
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2007

I and my wife have just spent a wonderful weekend at Hotel Numbi. From the moment we arrived the friendly personnel (Philip in particular) made us feel at home. The room was spacious and well decorated. The veranda overlooked a lovely garden and swimming pool. Being on a motorbike we did not want to travel at night to look for restaurants – no problem – we had 2 very good dinners in the hotel – atmosphere very cosy and the staff exceptionally friendly and helpful. The 2 breakfasts were also impeccable. We felt sorry to leave on Sunday morning and will surely return. Etienne & Reneé Louw

• Liked — Great room and very friendly staff
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank elouw
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2006

I had the great misfortune of staying at the Hotel Numbi for four nights while visiting Kruger National Park in October 2006 with a group of six. The only thing that made our nights at this hotel tolerable were the magnificent days we spent at Kruger. Coming back to the hotel every evening, we dreaded what else would go wrong.

On our first night, the air conditioning in two of our rooms was not working, and the staff were unable to fix it that night -- and they did not seem to be the least bothered by the outage. Worse, the maid had left the window open in my room, letting the mosquitoes in. (Considering that Kruger is a malaria-endemic area, the hotel's lackadaisical attitude toward mosquito control is horrifying: There are no mosquito nets, the windows have no screens, the balcony doors do not seal well, and the staff appears to have absolutely no malaria-control training. When I asked for mosquito repellent, I was handed a can of cockroach spray instead, with the comment "That's what we use.")

On check-in, my linens were filthy. The sheets were dingy with dirt stains, and the blanket had what appeared to be an unspeakable masculine-type stain on it. There were a couple of small insects in the bed (but as the manager informed me: "This is Africa").

On our second night, although the two air conditioners that had been broken the first night had been fixed, yet another of our group's rooms was without air conditioning.

On our third morning, when we woke up at 4:30 a.m. for our safari, we found no water whatsoever in our sinks, toilets, or showers. (I discovered days later in my conversation with the hotel owner that there had been an outage in the town's water main, but the hotel management made no effort to inform the guests of the cause of the problem or to apologize for the inconvenience.)

On our fourth morning, when most of our group left before breakfast for a bush walk, one person in our party who had decided not to join us on the outing discovered that breakfast (which was included in our room rate) had been canceled because the hotel management "thought everybody would be gone." He also had no hot water in his shower.

Although the hotel's physical facilities appear quite nice in the brochure and on the website, we were very disappointed. The lobby is Spartan, dark, and hot. The main restaurant is hot and not air conditioned, with mosquitoes. Despite the "no pets" policy, there were at least two cats apparently living in the hotel lobby and restaurant. There were no laundry facilities, and the laundry service was expensive (US$1 for a piece of underwear). The rooms are decently furnished, but the TV service is substandard (no CNN), and the room doors don't have chains or double-locks and use with old-fashioned keys. The maid unceremoniously walked in on one member of our group while he was on the toilet, without knocking. On the positive side, the bathrooms are nicely renovated in most (but not all) rooms, there are large closets in most (but not all) rooms, the premium restaurant is nicely appointed, and the hotel is set back sufficiently from the street to prevent any traffic noise.

The food in the main dining room for the evening meal was abundant, but it was the same stuff from night to night, and we found few of the offerings tasty. Breakfast was just fair. Service was pleasant but very slow; when the orange juice ran out every morning, for example, it would take a very long time for it to be refilled. Although the management had promised to accommodate my vegan diet, they failed miserable every night, despite their repeated promises that they would do better the following evening. For some reason, the words "no dairy" didn't seem to register, resulting in spinach with feta cheese one night and cream sauce the next. (On the final night, I instead had the best dinner of my stay at the yummy Indian restaurant in the adjoining mall.)

The final and biggest insult, though, came at the end of my stay. When I tried to complain to the manager about all the problems, he told me he was "too busy" to speak with me. When I called the owner by telephone the next day to report the problems, he told me quite clearly that I was "a very difficult customer to please." I acknowledge that I have a difficult diet to accommodate, but I do not think demanding air conditioning, hot water, and reasonable malaria control is being difficult.

I would never return to the Hotel Numbi, and regret my ever having stayed there. Had I not been with a group, I would have checked out on my first night.

• Liked — Location, very easy walking distance to town and shopping centres
  • Disliked — Horrible staff, bad air conditioning, bad food, mosquitoes, very dirty
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank GlobeHop2006