“Had a good time at Pestana!”

Pestana Kruger Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Malelane
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My husband and I stayed in room #279 for 2 nights in July. Our room faced the swimming pool, shaded under the trees. The room was clean, and spacious with a glass sliding door. The bathroom had a rain shower - no bath to soak in (ugh).
Tip: Watch out for the naughty monkeys who sneaks into the room and steals sugar.
Room complaint: No bottled water!!

The property is beautiful with many old trees, relaxing spaces on the deck areas - viewing across the river towards the Kruger Park. The hotel is situated 2 minutes drive from the Paul Kruger Gate, which is VERY convenient.

Food: Dinner buffet was varied, however I feel there's room for improvement in quality. The setting is beautiful at night with many fires going. The breakfast was good!

The staff in the restaurants were friendly, but reception was not too clued up when asked basic questions about the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jolanie G
GMPKL, General Manager at Pestana Kruger Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Jolanie G

Many thanks for your positive review of our Lodge; I'm sorry you did not have a bath to soak in, our Deluxe and Family rooms all have baths as well as showers. There should have been complimentary bottled mineral water in the mini bar fridge of your room, I will address this with our Housekeeping staff.

Your comments about the Dinner buffet will be noted and the Chefs will be advised; I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast which is particularly enjoyable on the deck overlooking the river.

The Reception staff will be retrained in their knowledge of the surrounding area.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

My family of four (two adults, children of 13 and 15) stayed at Pestana Kruger Lodge one week in July. Unfortunately, the first three nights vere unusual cold (-1 oC), so the rooms were a bit uncomfortable this period. However, I asked for extra blankets and they were delivered to our rooms promptly. The dining room was always warm and nice all the time. When the night temperature increased to a normal level, the rooms were very comfortable.

I am a bit surprised by some of the negative comments regarding the food. We experienced that the service was a bit slow when ordering lunch on the terrace, and that most of the dishes included french fries (which we are not that fond of). However, when we asked for something else instead of chips, the staff really made an effort serving us delicious sandwiches with more bread and salad. The breakfast and dinner buffet was always very delicious presented and contained a lot of different and tasty dishes. We really enjoyed eating there.

The view from the terrace was stunning, and we spent all our time not being on safari looking at the animals coming down to the river. Å perfect combination with a glass of wine or cold sparkling water.

Room Tip: The upgraded room have a fantastic view of the river.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
GMPKL, General Manager at Pestana Kruger Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us such positive feedback from your stay with us. I am very pleased that our service and the food and beverages met the standards you expected.

I will pass on your comments to the kitchen staff who are in the process of preparing a new menu for the lodge and will take your suggestions about the fries into account.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed at Pestana the first week of July with a family member from Australia.
Our stay was very pleasant and enjoyable.
Geronimo,ladies at the front desk and the rest of the staff members were always friendly!
Rooms were clean,viewing deck lovely.
I would suggest that you look at the food at the diiner buffet.
We will return again.

Marieke Drawbridge,Randburg

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Drawbridge2014

Dear Marieke Drawbridge

Thank you for your very positive comments, I am delighted that your stay was enjoyable. Your feedback has been given to the staff and particularly Jeronimo.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stunning trees and beautifully maintained gardens.These are the only plus points at Pestana Kruger.The shoddy furniture everywhere needs a revamp; the staff certainly do not have the guest-relations training as in Kruger.And then the'food'.Oi.As a South African I was truly concerned about the impression the numerous foreign guests were gaining about South African cuisine.Very poor standards in this department- limp lettuce and yesterday's old fruit salad- Aikona!!!
Lilli (Western Cape)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LillianvonM
GMPKL, General Manager at Pestana Kruger Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Lillian

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your stay with us last week. I am very disappointed to read your comments regarding poor material and service standards at our property.

My sincere apologies for this unsatisfactory experience, your observations have been noted and will be conveyed to our staff.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The buildings and the site of this hotel are very nice, and the terrace overlooking the Crocodile River allows you to watch crocodiles and hippos as you have your breakfast. But the food at the evening buffet was poor and bland and expensive, the staff were disorganized, the rooms were poorly serviced and fittings often didn't work. You got the feeling that the management had given up.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank rodbally

Dear Mr Bally

Thank you for your review of our property. Please accept my apologies that your experience was not to the standard you had expected.

Having recently taken over management of this property I can assure you that Management have not given up; I will be addressing your concerns with all staff as a matter of priority and initiate the necessary re-training where required to ensure that standards reflect that of a Pestana property.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We were thoroughly underwhelmed. Showers were cold, plugs didn't work, food was really bland. The dinner staff were also really unhelpful. Very disappointing for something that calls itself four star. But the one definite plus is the scenery. There is a lovely view of the river from the dining hall.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Louise B
Simon R, General Manager at Pestana Kruger Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Louise B

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at Pestana Kruger Lodge, I am very disappointed that standards were clearly not what you expected of a 4 star establishment. Please accept my sincere apologies for these service failures. I would be very grateful if you could contact myself at the Lodge (kruger.lodge@pestana.com) for further detail regarding your complaints so I can address these specifically as a matter of urgency.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This hotel is ideal for a getaway to be away from it all. Perfect for couples or with a family . So close to kRUGER you can walk over the bridge to the entrance. Overlook the river and into Kruger. Very well kept gardens and safe to walk around. Staff all very friendly and wiling to help. Food excellence , the dinners were really something special especially the lamb chops and a chicken dish. Nothing to small and if not on the menu they will do it for you, I asked for oats and got it tasefully done. We picked up some weight . A few swimming pools to relax and cool down. Perfect place to have sundowners. on the deck overlooking Kruger and sunset.

Car washed after day in Kruger on the sand roads, car looked brand new again. Was a surprize. There is a company on site that does trips into Kruger and offers a day trip if you dont have a car or want someone to drive you around.

Down side - rooms needs a bit of attention , TV fuzzy in both rooms. Knob off cupboard kept falling off. Soapdish very loose on the bath. Stain on the carpet.

Also we celebrated our wedding annerversiry and birthday while there , nothing was mentioned or even a little letter althought they new about it. Was a dissapointment . So dont bother if it is a special occassion to mention it on the form.

We stayed in both the delux and standard room. To be honest I think the standard room was better. Rooms were cleaned very well and the public restrooms very well kept. Shower in the standard room very nice as you could look out through the window , the top part. They turned down the beds every night .

All in all I would recommend it and go back again.

Room Tip: If you go for the standard room dont do room 402 , lovely tree which blocks the view of the river .H...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ianpat2013

Good afternoon

Thank you very much for your positive comments about your stay with us, I will be sharing your comments with the staff who do appreciate positive feedback.
Your observations regarding maintenance in the rooms has been noted; we will attend to these immediately. My apologies that no notice was taken of your Wedding Anniversary and Birthday whilst staying with us, I will be addressing this service failure with the reservations and reception staff.
Regarding the tree which blocks one's view of the Crocodile River; we have recently cleared large sections of the bush in front of the bedrooms in order to enhance the view of the river but just could not bear to cut down such a beautiful tree as I'm sure you will understand.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Malelane
Buhala Lodge
#4 of 11 in Malelane
Bushwise Safaris
Bushwise Safaris
#5 of 33 in Marloth Park

Been to Pestana Kruger Lodge? Share your experiences!