“wonderful stay”
Review of Bundu Lodge

Bundu Lodge
Reviewed 30 April 2013

we recently took family from switzerland to Mpumalanga and stayed over at the Bundu lodge for 4 days. What amazing service and friendly staff! The rooms were clean, the staff friendly, and the game drive was wonderful! Everything is well maintained and in good condition which is really good for such a large lodge. The restaurant has a lovely deck and the breakfast spreads are out of this world! Highly recommended for a break away and for any overseas tourists, you definitely will receive a warm African greeting and experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Bundu Lodge

Reviewed 25 January 2013

My family, as well as my wife's parents from the States, stayed at the Bundu Lodge during late December 2012. This was our first trip to South Africa since moving to Mozambique in early 2012. After a three day drive to get to Nelspruit we were tired and ready to get some rest. Our accommodations were booked in July and we had reserved two rooms for adults and one room for our children ages 18, 13, 11, and 9. Upon checking in we were told the adults had been put in their deluxe rooms and the children in a slightly more rustic room several hundred meters from the adults. We were a little anxious but agreed to this arrangement. We went to dinner at the hotel restaurant and were really impressed by the quality of the food. My only irritation at the time was the price of the bottled water and sodas (I later came to find out drinks in all of South Africa are overpriced at over $2 usd each). We left the restaurant, got the children settled in their room and told them to call us in our room as a test in case they needed us during the night. Upon arriving in our room we discovered there are no telephones in the room. This would not work because if the children needed us during the night they would have no way to get in touch with us since we did not have South African SIM cards yet for our phones. I immediately went to the hotel lobby and explained the situation to Trudi ( she is AMAZING) who said she had children and understood our concern. She immediately changed the children's room to two deluxe rooms where two children would sleep per room and at no additional charge. A huge burden was relieved. Once we finished moving the girls rooms (at 22:00 hours) one of the girls came to our door and stated their air conditioner was leaking on their bed. I went to investigate and it was malfunctioning but by this time we were so tired we simply turned it off until the morning. Upon waking the next morning I informed Trudi (who had worked the late shift and was now working the early shift) about the problem. She stated she would have someone look at it. We left for the day and upon our return to the Lodge the air conditioner was fixed and working perfectly. Problem #2 resolved wonderfully.

Please do not think that our entire time at the Bundu was marred by problems. I have already spoken of the only problems we had in regards to the Bundu Lodge. They had a pool, grills for a brai, MANY animals (zebras, horses, ostrich, emu, rabbits, turkeys, goats, sheep, peacock, etc., running loose on the property). My children loved to feed and play with the animals. I believe they would have very content with having stayed at the Bundu and not gone to any area attractions during our stay.

On Christmas Day we were 50km north of Nelspruit and our vehicle experienced mechanical difficulties. To make a long story short, we planned to leave Nelspruit and spend a week in Johannesburg before returning to Mozambique. Because we did not know how long our car would be in the garage, we opted to rent two cars to drive to Johannesburg and continue our vacation. The problem was there was no room in the two small rentals for all of our belongings. I spoke with Leon (who is also Wonderful) and he offered to store our extra luggage at the Bundu while we were in Johannesburg and allow us to pick it up on our way back through Nelspruit. He did not have to do this and I mark this up to Bundu helping resolve issue #3 of our vacation.

I will conclude by saying that our time at the Bundu lodge was wonderful. The staff (95% of them anyway......there was 1 who was less than friendly) consistently went above our expectations and we were very impressed. if you are looking for a top of the line, high dollar, 5 star accommodation this is not for you. If however, you are searching for a very nice and clean accommodation for a family at an affordable price I would say this is the place for you. Our family will definitely be visiting the Bundu on future trips to Nelspruit, South Africa.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Lee_McDaniel
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Stayed here with my mother, brothers and sisters and extended family in Nov 2010 for a family wedding that was held in the chapel and the reception in the function room.

Had a lovely, relaxing stay. Found the rooms comfortable and well decorated, not too fussy. The beds were very comfortable, we slept very well. My mother and I shared a room with twin beds and the en suite bathroom had a lovely bath and seperate walk-in shower.

The grounds are sloping and may be a bit steep for older or physically challenged people.

There are peacocks in the grounds and they do get about and skawk a bit, but hey, this is Africa after all and you expect some animal noises. There was also a troop of Zebras that walked the grounds, so it was quite an experience to be so close to them. There are other small wild animals about too, nothing life threatning. So this just adds to the "I'm in Africa" feel of the place.

The breakfast in the restaurant was tasty and generous, well priced. Also the evening meals in the same restaurant were delicious and generously portioned, nice atmosphere and friendly/enthusiastic service.

Because we'd been travelling for a week already by the time we arrived at Bundu Lodge, we made use of their laundry service. It was quick and efficient and reasonably priced. Very handy to have when you are trying to travel light!

All in all, no complaints, I enjoyed my 4 nights here at Bundu Lodge. Lovely views of sunsets from the balcony of your room... pity my husband wasn't with me on this trip to share this with me!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Daisy D
Reviewed 6 December 2012

My first visit to Bundu Country Lodge and a very pleasant stay in deed! The staff were helpful and willing and the food especially the breakfasts were WOW! If you are a family traveling the Bundu Country Lodge will entertain the kids with the animal farm and all the bunnies hoping around put a smile on my face after a long days work.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 November 2012

This lodge is set outside of Nelspruit on the road to Whiteriver. About 15 minutes to Nelspruit .The grounds are farm like and beautiful with bunnies, ponies and peacocks walking around. But the rooms are not stylish and comes over 'without soul' -and this was the luxury room. The standard was just that-standard. We had to carry up our own luggage 2 flights-in the rain. Not fun.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank wielietjies
Reviewed 7 October 2012 via mobile

This is a good hotel if you need to stay in Nelspruit. It is located on a busy road, but up on a hillside so the car noise is not a problem. Mini horses, ostriches and peacocks roam the property, which make for a natural alarm clock if you want to be woken at 6am! Rooms are simple, but beds were comfy and double shower was really nice, although be sure not to get a room with a bathtub, as our friends didn't enjoy showering as much as we did! Clean, practical and safe, but wouldn't choose for a hotel where you want to stay and chill all day.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I have pass this Lodge a few times and always told my wife we must try the lodge.I did this this week end 05/10/2012 as I had come up to see my son and daughter in law and grand son and with out booking for accommodation stop and ask if they had rooms available which they did Well to my surprise they have everything for children to the restaurant to the well and clean kept rooms with Air Con and Supper Sport dish.I invited my son and daughter in law and the children and from the animals and horses (pony) jumble gym and the great food we enjoyed our self and i will come again this was like a home away from home

Room Tip: The room we stayed in was on the 3rd floor andwas great but the are many other opions
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family