“Wonderful and comfatable”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Nelspruit
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Nelspruit
Reviewed 2 January 2014

This is by far one of the best Protea Hotels I've been too. From the guards at the gate to the reception everyone was super we came in on New Years and what a pleasant way to start 2014. We phoned the day before for an early chek inn and didn't make it that early but they had a room ready for us for 10am got into the room settles down and the aircon leaking phoned to tell them immediately got help me then the problem persisted we got another room with a smile. Here's the best part big thanks to Dion and his team in the kitchen Elvis Barnard Koos who went it of their way to cater for is as we eat halaal food we were allowed into the kitchen to warm the food ant we had special attention during breakfast it was super no other Protea assisted us in this way and the cherry on the top they cater for kids so they were quite occupied too thank you guys at the hotel will definatley return

Room Tip: Not a pool facing room too. Too noisy
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Jacques J, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Nelspruit, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

GUESTS' perceptions of the service they receive whilst staying with Protea Hotels is the only true yardstick we have for measuring whether or not we have met their expectations. I should, therefore, like to thank you for taking the time to post a comment on TripAdvisor and to assure you that your comments are being used contructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our service standards and facilities.

We were delighted to receive your commendations about the impressive service offered. Please be assured that I will congratulate our TEAM for doing a great job!

Thank you for choosing to stay at Protea Hotel Nelspruit and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

On the one hand, this is a great location, i.e. close to the highway in and out of town. On the other hand, it's close to a highway and overlooks a gas station and KFC, or at least that was our view. Unfortunately when we were there the only rooms available were in the back and up a set of stairs. The porter helped with bags -- and we had a lot since we had been shopping in Nelspruit -- but getting them back down again we did ourselves. They were very pleasant at the front desk, but all in all, with all of the places one can stay in Nelspruit, this would not be a repeat for me.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Jacques J, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Nelspruit, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.

We aim to not only meet, but exceed the expectations of our GUESTS. I am happy to hear that you experienced the Front desk STAFF as pleasant.

I am sorry that your room view did not match your expectations as well as the lack of porter assistance, this is valuable feedback and will certainly aid us in improving our hotel services.

Being located close to the highway, restaurant and shopping malls certainly makes ones stay a little easier. I am pleased that you visited some of our local restaurants and shops.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Protea Hotel Nelspruit and assist with a room location of your choice where possible.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

This hotel has a very convenient location, a wonderful restaurant area with a beautiful walk out to the patio pool and back lawn, and a staff eager to help customers enjoy their stay. However, not having any hot water in the morning for a wash or shower was discouraging. Not having anyone answer the phone when I called the front on another issue a number of times the night before didn't help my enjoyment of our stay. There were no services directories or phone instructions in the rooms. This hotel needs some management attention. If they get it I am sure the place will fine.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor community.

I am thrilled to hear of your enjoyment of the pool area and the restaurant. We appreciate your praise of the eagerness of the STAFF to help customers. The TEAM are continuously trying to improve on GUEST service.

I am sorry that you had no hot water in the morning and that Front Office was unable to answer their phones. Your feedback is valuable to us and will assist us in order to achieve excellence.

I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

As a platinum Procard hotel I spend almost a third my time in the year in Protea hotels. However, this hotel alone has me cutting my ties with Protea for good! For the 4th time in 6 stays the staff front of house staff have let me down. This is a great hotel if you like being told what to eat because chances are that what you order off the menu wont be available. The lady who takes room service orders over the phone has no idea what pene is, and if you ask what kind of pasta they are serving the response is spaghetti, p-e-n-e, and Chinese. Im not one to complain but this is the 4th time I've been told sorry what you are ordering is not available. Try again. Usually the third order down the list they have in stock. And its always the same excuse - deliveries are delayed, so either they are lying or they couldn't care enough about their customers to ensure their supply chain and providers are in check. Which one is it??

Avoid this hotel if you want a great experience going to the Kruger. Rather stay at the Caster Bridge Hotel, wonderful service and no excuses.

Room Tip: Any room will do really, but if you want a good experience here my tip - book another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Juan M

Thank you for your feedback and loyalty to Protea Hotels.

We were very excited and happy to recently welcome you back to Protea Hotel Nelspruit.

I am sorry that our hotel room service did not match what you are used to and this valuable feedback will certainly aid us in improving our hotel service.

Once again thank you for giving us the opportunity to show you true Protea hospitality and we look forward to welcoming you back to Protea Hotel Nelspruit.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

I've come to rely on Protea hotels for a quality hotel room no matter what country I'm in. The Protea Nelspruit didn't disappoint. The rooms were well sized, nicely decorated and clean. I was disappointed in the pool area as it didn't compare to other Protea pools I've used in the past. The pool was quite small and wasn't good for a large number of people. The location is very central if you have a car and can get to several shopping malls and upscale restaurants in less than 5 minutes.

Room Tip: The hotels rooms in the first building attached to the reception and restaurant can be quite noisy i...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Nelspruit, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Dear sriani683

Thank you for your feedback and loyalty to Protea Hotels.

We aim to not only meet, but exceed the expectations of our GUESTS. I am happy to hear that Protea Hotel Nelspruit provided a clean and comfortable environment during your travels.

I am sorry that our hotel pool did not match what you are used to and this valuable feedback will certainly aid us in improving our hotel and its facilities.

Being located nearby restaurants and shopping malls certainly makes ones stay a little easier. I am pleased that you visited some of our local restaurants and shops.

I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

The hotel is located just outside the city so is quiet and provides easy access to the CBD. The food was very good, even the buffet. I stayed for one night and left my iPhone charger and a T-shirt in the room. Both items were kept for us by honest housekeeping staff, which we collected on our trip to the Kruger Park.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank KrugerToKalahari

Dear KrugerToKalahari

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor community.

There is no doubt that our location has a positive impact on the GUESTS that stay with us. Whether one is staying for business or leisure; all the necessities are nearby.

I am thrilled to hear of your enjoyment of the food. The TEAM are continuously trying new things in order to achieve excellence. They will be very happy when I pass on your comments to them.

Safety and security of our GUESTS and their belongings is a top priority and your experience proves that all STAFF is committed to respecting this.

I hope you had a lovely time at the Kruger National Park.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Since my husband started working on contract in Mozambique we have been coming through to Nelspruit for a weekend away. We always stay at the Protea Hotel in Nelspruit and have always been given excellent service. The food in the restaurant is great and the service is good. This is like our 2nd home since moving to Mozambique.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gillywilly03
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Nelspruit, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear Gillywilly03

Thank you for this amazing feedback and for visiting us so regularly.

Weekend breaks really help to re-energise for the week ahead and I am happy to hear that Protea Hotel Nelspruit feels like your second home. Providing a cosy, comfortable and friendly environment is important to the TEAM.

I will be sure to share your feedback regarding the great food and service you have been receiving with the TEAM. We will continue to aim higher in order to achieve excellence in all we do.

I am sure that we will be seeing you again soon.

Protea Hotel Nelspruit

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nelspruit
Mercure Nelspruit
#1 of 18 in Nelspruit
SUN1 Nelspruit
SUN1 Nelspruit
#10 of 18 in Nelspruit

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Nelspruit? Share your experiences!