“Very pleasant stay”
Review of Shandon Lodge

Shandon Lodge
Ranked #12 of 78 Nelspruit B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed for only one night and found the location great and the rooms very pleasant. It was just a few minutes drive to a good restaurant (and others are also close by). Nice setting on a hill, good sized pool and a lovely relaxation area adjacent to the pool.
Rooms 1-3 have very flimsy curtains and very strong security lighting outside, so we woke up a lot during the night. A room closer to the pool will probably be better.
Off street parking is available and breakfast is ample.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
ShandonLodge, Owner at Shandon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Shandon Lodge - your input is highly valued. Unfortunately we have to leave passage lights on at night for Guests returning to their rooms late in the evening, all our windows have blinds and quality linen curtains with lining..the only thing I can think of to solve the problem would be to replace the lining with a black-out fabric.. I will have to look into it...Kind regards Jane

There are newer reviews for Shandon Lodge

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed at Shandon Lodge numerous times because we have friends in the area. Whenever we stay with Tony and Jane we immediately relax and settle in. They are incredibly welcoming, making us feel like we are guests in their home. At the same time, the rooms offer privacy and very well kitted out for total comfort. Their pool is huge and sparkling, the gardens lush and serene Jane"s cooking is total comfort food and we never eat any where else. We often stay in guest houses when we travel and Shandon Lodge is top of our list anywhere in the country.

Stayed: August 2014
ShandonLodge, Owner at Shandon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

We appreciate the time taken to write such a nice review and thank you for visiting us at Shandon Lodge - it is always such a pleasure to see you both.. see you soon x

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Shandon Lodge in its own right is a superb 4 star B&B with a family touch. I have had the pleasure of being friends with the owners for the previous 3 years and seen first hand the consistency of their guest philosophy. Probably makes me biased but this is not the focus of my review, it is their neighborhood commitment and sense of community duty that has impressed me. Tony and Jane have taken it upon themselves to provide staff to regularly clean and tidy the local streets, collecting and disposing of litter and other waste in a responsible and ethical manner, making the immediate neighborhood ambiance a fitting example of what results in going that extra mile not only for their guest experience but for their immediate neighbors as well. The 5 green TripAdvisor markers are a fitting reflection of their care for the environment.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Dave and thank you for your review - we take our responsibility in caring for our road very seriously as we believe that it is a reflection on how we care for our home!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Wow what an amazing experience it's been. I am a medical rep and travel quite often I have been to various guest houses lodges etc. I have been staying at Shandon Lodge now for 6 years every six weeks, and this is my home away from home. A quiet environment for work and relaxation. The rooms are great spacious and gorgeous. TonY & Jane are great hosts and incredibly accomodating whatever my requirements. Breakfast is fit for a King and dinner is amazing, you wish there is more. I would recommend SHANDON LODGE to anyone that is interested in staying in luxury have a great view dealing with friendly staff. If you want to get away from the hustle and buzz from the city Shandon Lodge is just the place to reload oh and dont forget the free wi-fi to download emails.

Room Tip: Room 9 has a great view
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
ShandonLodge, Owner at Shandon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Hi Juanita and thank you for your very generous review - we value your wonderful support and alwas look forward to seeing you, Much love Jane

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Jane was very accommodating and a lovely host. Had a fantastic breakfast. Neighborhood was a bit noisy in terms of dogs etc. but overall a very nice experiencing. Just a tip, if you plan on braaiing make arrangements beforehand as this allows Jane to properly prepare.

Room Tip: Room 9 is a bit smaller and older than the other rooms which appeared bigger and more modernly decor...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review Shandon Lodge, sorry about the noisy evening, we are usually extremely quiet in this suburb of Nelspruit - I can only assume that the Porcupine was on a night-time forage and was causing the trouble! Luckily this is a rare occurance.
Room 9 is as you said, one of the original rooms of the Guesthouse and extremely popular for it's beautiful views across the Crocodile River Gorge .. so glad you liked it.
Dinner (which must be pre-booked) is served Mondays to Thursdays only, unless by special request for a large group.. we did offer this to you group but were advised that you would all prefer to eat out.. such a shame as we would have been happy to assist with a braai. We do not offer self-catering. Best wishes and we hope to see you next year.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

When I made the reservation, I specifically asked for unlimited wi-fi as I am a photographer and need to upload photographs. Upon arrival that though the wi-fi IS available, it is not included in the cost.
I would have booked at another hotel where wi-fi is free.
I had to carry heavy photographic equipment to and from my car and despite the fact that there was parking space very close to my room, I was instructed to park in a very small, overcrowded parking bay quite a distance from my room, while the parking by my room stood un-utilised.
A hairdrier would have been nice.
As a general lodge, very nice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Lodgemother, Owner at Shandon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our Guesthouse, I must apologise for any inconveneince caused regarding your wi-fi requirements. We did advise at the time of booking that we offer the first 30mins wi-fi per day for free - unfortunately we do not have a facility for a totally free service. The weekend of your visit was perhaps the busiest weekend of the year in Nelspruit and hence the car park can become a little hectic, all rooms are allocated with one parking and whilst we try to park you closest to your room, that is not always possible, if you had bought our attention to your dilemma we would have made very effort to accommodate you. Hair dryers are supplied in all the rooms unfortunately they are occassionally removed by mistake.. we always have spares available and only if we had known we would gladly have provided you with a replacement! So sorry for the misunderstanding if we had known at the time we would certainlyhave made every effort to assist you. We hope you will join us again at Shandon Lodge!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We received very good service at Shandon Lodge. The rooms are very neat and the bed very comfortable. The breakfast was great! It's in a quiet neighborhood, thus peaceful and quiet. Will definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your kind review - we are are delighted that you had a peaceful and relaxing stay in our beautiful Guesthouse.