“An Italian restaurant from hell, in Nelspruit and well travelled lasagne”
Review of Trattoria Stefano

Trattoria Stefano
Ranked #19 of 85 Restaurants in Nelspruit
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Johannesburg, South Africa
“An Italian restaurant from hell, in Nelspruit and well travelled lasagne”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We were visiting Mpumalanga in May and our friends treated us to a meal at Stefano's. (Stefano's used to be in White River apparently). The focaccia needed a lot more work - it was dry and tasteless and despite ordering at least 4 lots, our table of 6 abandoned it a long time before our main courses arrived. It definitely didn't melt in one's mouth like it should have. The children had pizza and I was relieved that I hadn't been tempted to have one because they looked anaemic. Fillings were not generous by any means. The pasta dishes our friends ordered also lacked oomph from what I could see without being impolite. My husband and I stupidly ordered lasagne - what a giant rookie error. The lasagne was "well travelled" - it had been to Italy and back and had severe jetlag. It screamed - old stock, re-heat, re-heat. Whatever you do at Stefano's - please save yourself and do NOT eat their lasagne. We idly wondered how old it was. No one was interested as to why we didn't finish this disgusting concoction because they probably knew!!! We gave it the worst ever lasagne rating of 1/10. Not many establishments are able to beat this I'm sure. I should have ordered the prawn, cherry tomato, linguine pasta with chilli but the thought of rich marscapone with it sounded too much. Dessert - berry pannacotta definitely didn't disappoint so dues are do apply here - unless of course someone else made it???? We were pleasantly surprised that the cappuccinos we were served were also delicious. Another reviewer talks about hospitality from the staff - have to say that we never encountered any

• Visited May 2014

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Fresh pasta”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

One of the few places I have had seriously fresh pasta, prepared with great care. It's worth a try when in the vicinity. Their pizza bases are crisp and all puffed up and the pasta just right.

• Visited July 2014
Nelspruit, South Africa
“Pizza! Need I say more?”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I absolutely love their pizzas! The hospitality from the STAFF is great and they are very friendly. Definitely a family restaurant! And if you are lucky, Stefano might decide to sing one evening :)

Visited May 2014
Nelspruit, South Africa
“Expensive and slow, if they even have stock”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Incredibly tasty food, but its very expensive and not worth it.
The waitress told me that they had no Parmesan for the pasta,
firstly the restaurant is right next to the spar... they could have got some. but no one even offered.
secondly: the table next to use gets pasta and low and behold they got served Parmesan cheese.
If your charging that much for a pizza/ Pasta then surely some effort needs to be made that the waiters know what is in stock and what is not... and maybe even take a walk next door to keep their costumers coming back.

Visited March 2014
Pretoria, South Africa
“Quirky Italian menu, old style food”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I tried to go to the Trattoria on a Sunday evening. I took a while to realise that Google a Maps was taking us just a bit too far and that we had to pull into the shopping centre... Sadly the a Trattoria was closed. As the reviews seemed great, we went again the next evening. What an amazing experience!

The staff were friendly, the restaurant cozy. For a Monday night, it was impressive to see so many reserved signs, just over half the tables were already booked! A good sign... As the bookings filled in, we saw that these were old friends on the owners, another good sign...

We were ably assisted in our choices, though it did take a while for the to to arrive, we did not mind as the staff did not hover or crowd us and we could relax.

The chicken livers looked amazing, almost good enough to convert me, though I was saved from that fate by a great Gorgonzola salad. The cheese was crumbed so finely that the salad was flavored without being excessively so.

The four seasons pizza lived up to the billing, while the pasta with meat Ragu melted in the mouth.

I could have done with some freshly ground pepper, but hey, that is such a minor issue.

What a pity the restaurant is not closer to Pretoria....

Visited May 2014