Umlilo Lodge B&B
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Free Internet
  • Pool
All reviewshonesty barwater featuresfamily ownersthe ownertree housefire pitjungle gardenhis sonsmall but nice poolmod conshuge roombook ticketsplace to stayfriendly ownersgreat showertea coffeemain road
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 January 2013

If you find any of the reviews in my user profile helpful please use the helpful button at the bottom thanks.

The Umlilo is definately differant from the norm. It has been designed as a tropical forest with all the accomodation built as log tree style cabins completely surrounded by lush vegatation/trees/a dna small man made stream full of koi carp. Visually it looks extremely nice, in reality it was a bit noisy on the night time. The reason for this was the whole contruction is joined by one long continuous wooden walk way with wooden stairs into each of the rooms. This works well with the visual aspect, however as people are walking in and out because there are no breaks in the wooden structure the vibration of people walking in and out and up and down stairs resonates into your rooms, as a light sleep this did keep me a wake and did wake me early morning as some people are leaving early most days and have the suitcases with wheels on which bang over the wooden slats, cant be helped obviously but it was a downside to for me.
Apart from that it is well situated litterily 3 mins from the main part of st lucia not that any where is far from Mckenzie st. The rooms themselves are done out in a kind of african outdoor safari lodge style with mosquito nets over the beds and it all works really well. If you are expecting New York/London/Paris style mod cons then forget it, this place is done for those expecting a little bit of a safari lodge but with all the amenities of st lucia round the corner. The host was an exceptionally bubbly lady and ever so helpful, the full english breakfast was spot on I even noticed the germans digging into the english breakfast as well so it must have been good.
All in all this is our 3rd time in st lucia from the uk and would I stay here again yes as long as I could get a room that never suffered with the noise issue, but that was because I am a light sleeper.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank RoyPartington
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We stayed at Umlilo Lodge over Christmas 2012. Whilst it was fine, I don’t think it was anything too special and am surprised by the reviews it has. On the positive, the rooms were comfy and breakfast nice, it is also set in pleasant gardens with a good pool. On the downside I would say that the rooms could do with refurbishment, the shower wasn’t great (probably because there were quite a few guests) and the toilet didn’t seem to work very well. Probably the most disappointing was that we didn’t really feel that much effort was being made to make our Christmas stay special. When we arrived we asked where we would be able to eat on Christmas day and were told ‘I don’t know the restaurants haven’t decided if they are opening yet’. A short walk in to town and asking at a few places showed that this info was not true, with almost all restaurants already having decided that they were opening! There was also no information in the room to help a tourist get to know the area and things to do which are not immediately obvious unless you have done prior research. For example it would be good to tell people that Hluhluwe Umfolozi is a 45 minute drive away and is about the best game park that I have visited in South Africa!
This grumbles may seem small, but I think that much more could be done to ensure that the guests are having the best time possible. Saint Lucia isn’t a great town and I worry that some tourists may only see that and not the beauty of the surrounding area, which has to be one of the most stunning places in South Africa.

Room Tip: The ones upstairs seemed have a nice balcony to sit out on with a sundowner
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Poppys_dad101
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I LOVED the Umlilo Lodge. The family run lodge feels like a Balinese paradise with it's dark wood and running stream. The owners are incredibly friendly and helpful. There are only 9 units so it is quiet and very peaceful. There's even a pool. It was my favorite place that I stayed in while in S. Africa for 2 1/2 weeks.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Very calm, and very nice lady to help us in whatever we need.
Good localization.
Will come back

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Expected to stay in St Lucia for 1 night and found this wonderful place and stayed 3 nights. Friendly and attentive owners & staff who bent over backwards to help us enjoy the area and visit the best parks and beaches. Great breakfasts. The Lodge is on many levels with decking in between and is very relaxing. Rooms are great with large shower rooms with rain showers. Good value for money. St Lucia makes an excellent base for the area - there are a fair few good bars and restaurants in the town itself and its an easy drive into the game parks. The local beaches and walks are great & the sunset boat tour of the estuary to get up close to the hippos is well worth it. A great place, would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple