“Hippopotami!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in St Lucia
Bowling Green, Ohio
“Hippopotami!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

The hotel is good. No shower soap and bad service in the restaurant but otherwise great. Hippos come into town in the evenings so beware on the streets at night. They come to drink from the hotel pool at night and came when we were there. I highly recommend Alfredo's Italian Restaurant next door!

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank bsmith45

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

We stayed here the night before we took a boat tour of the estuary. Upon our arrival the porters quickly unloaded our luggage and showed us to our rooms. Ironically all the porters who were assisting us were women and you just don’t see that every day. The room was comfortable and beds were a bit firm for me. There is no internet at this hotel. We only ate breakfast here and the buffet was great but there are not a lot of choices. The hotel is in good walking distance to restaurants so we walked to the main strip (less than 5 minutes walk) and ate at a local restaurant that had live music. The best thing about our stay at this hotel here were the hippos that came onto the property. The hippos walked up to the rooms and even took a swim in the pool; we got great pictures with the SLR camera.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank delia03
Burbank, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

I stayed here one night as part of a tour. The hotel is nothing fancy. My room was basic and clean. Bed was extremely firm. Garden and pool area was quite lush, though. We ventured out and bought fruit, sandwiches, and wine at local markets. We gathered in the garden area and had lunch. The indoor bar/lounge area was comfortable with good service. Hotel is located in a central location and is walking distance to markets and restaurants.

Not a bad place to stay for a day.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2011

Stayed for one night. Rooms are spacious but not well maintained (sticky shower door, curtains don't close completely, etc.). Toiletries are poor quality. There is no WiFi or wired internet at the hotel or nearby. Breakfast buffet was OK (limited choices). Staff is mostly unhelpful.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2009

We stayed one night here. It was not bad, the front staff seemed a bit confused when I asked if there was room service. she had no idea, that was strange. The restaurant manager tricked me, when I walked in to eat. He offered me the buffet only, not giving me the a la cart menu. I was so tired I didn't think to ask. The buffet was 155 rand, and not worth it. Make sure you ask for a menu and hten order the shrimp for 95 rand. I was told they were good.
the rooms were fine, nothing to write home about, small, clean with all the basic things you'll need.

• Stayed December 2009
2 Thank sspc
Hampton, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2009

I have stayed at Elephant Lake Hotel several times since 2004 and have felt like I was coming home. The staff is friendly and more than willing to make sure each stay is pleasant. The food is excellent and one is made to feel as if they are a part of the family.

My trips to St. Lucia have been for both business and pleasure.

The next time I visit South Africa St. Lucia is on my list for rest and relaxation

• Stayed May 2006, travelled on business
#1 of 32 in St Lucia
Marlin Lodge St Lucia
Marlin Lodge St Lucia
#13 of 29 in St Lucia

Been to Elephant Lake Hotel? Share your experiences!