“Nice place”

Peermont Walmont at Graceland
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Secunda
Reviewed 22 January 2013

We stayed at this hotel in summer, and had so much fun. The rooms are nice, and the pools were a great asset for the kids. The food was great at the breakfast buffet, and there were several kid friendly choices. Will stay here again

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank farkyfluffy

Reviewed 15 August 2012

Over the past year, my husband and I have spent about 4 months in Secunda, and we have stayed in three different hotels. In my opinion, Graceland is the best that Secunda has to offer.

Pros:
1) Fastest internet
2) Best fitness center
3) A great breakfast buffet
4) They change the bedding every day (even when I told them my sheets were clean) and the towels twice a day. I consider this a pro for the cleanliness, but I also find it a little wasteful.
5) The suites are in great condition. We lucked out and stayed in one for a week and the room was perfect.
6) The casino is cheap! You can play blackjack for less than $2 a hand. This makes it very easy to sit and play for hours at a time.

Cons:
1) Unless you talk to a manager at the front desk, nothing gets done
2) It is a little run down. Definitely not 4-star like they say. If I walk around my standard room without shoes, my feet/socks turn black.
3) The restaurants don't give a lot of variety. They are either bad or highly over priced. To get good food, you need to leave Graceland.
4) This is something small, but when housekeeping comes they take the shampoo and body wash out of the shower and put it on the sink. I don't use shampoo and body wash at a sink, I use it in the shower. It's very annoying to have to jump out of the shower to grab it from the sink.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Ruth K
Reviewed 19 April 2012

The photos look by impressive and on arrival the outside of the hotel and complex do look impressive. On closer look you realize the building is somewhat on the tired side. Hotel staff was very friendly on check in. The room is closer to 3 star than a 4 star. Our room on the 4 th floor looked to the side of Sasol. Not a good idea as the noise from the refinery kept on waking you up during the night. Our room also had some alarm noise going off intermittently during the whole night. It was so annoying and intrusive that we had not slept a wink through the night. We had phoned several times to report the noise but it never got sorted. The Cafe restaurant is the better one to frequent, stay away from the USA themed restaurant, the food is awful. Breakfast at the Cafe was great. Our feeling was we would never consider to stay at this hotel again. If you enjoy gambling I would suggest you can consider staying here.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from Sasol refinery
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jalder
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Stopped here for only 1 night...Checkin & check out was very friendly...The hotel is very impressive as you drive in, golf course and country club too. The groundstaff have the exterior fantastic.. I skipped breakfast so can't comment, bar staff in country club were very friendly, ate in a restaurant next to Casino which was at best food was average but expected as was quite cheap, Buffalo Bills was a nice bar even though it was empty......I would revisit..

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank lee23250Durham
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Third time I have stayed at Graceland. Staff are friendly and breakfast spread is quite good. The only problem with this resort is that it is very TIRED. The rooms are old and the casino is VERY old and dingy.

1 night single person bed and breakfast rate is R925! In my books that is very overpriced for the callibre of hotel, location and value that you receive here.

Would not recommend this golf course in winter - an absolute dog track, but I will say that the 18 hole rate of R160 is very fair.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank ZAExplorer
Des-Ni, Manager at Peermont Walmont at Graceland, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2011

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Tripadvisor in relation to your recent stay here at Graceland Hotel Casino and Country Club. I appreciate receiving all feedback, both positive and negative as this assists us in becoming better at what we do. On behalf of the hotel I would like to apologise for any upset and disappointment we may have caused during your stay with us.

It was with deep regret that I received your feedback on Tripadvisor, instead of been given the opportunity to meet with you during your stay in order for us to discuss your experience.

I was particularly interested to read your comment in relation to our “Tired Resort”. I would like to bring it under your attention that we have spent quite an amount of money last year in our bedrooms, furnishing it with new goose down pillows, duvets, replaced the televisions and also upgraded the bathrooms. The Hotel has a classic Southern American theme and therefore the themed furniture in the bedrooms.

We are currently in the process of replacing the carpets on the Casino floor at a considerable cost. We have also spent R11 Million on buying 58 new slot machines this year.

I can assure you that our pricing for the Bedrooms, Golf and all our other outlets are very competitive.

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies for any disappointment we may have caused you and thank you for your most helpful feedback. I look forward to welcoming back to Graceland Hotel Casino and Country Club in the near future where hopefully we can exceed your expectations.

Kind Regards

Hennie Steenkamp

Reviewed 10 February 2011

The hotel is at best OK. I stay here a lot and have done so for the last 2 years, sometimes staying for 3 weeks at a time. I find the staff friendly and generally the rooms clean and looked after, although often in need of basic repairs (leaking taps etc). Unfortunately the same cant be said about the rest of the hotel. The lifts are often out-of-use and the gym is seriously under maintained with much of the cardio equipment in need of a service. As for food, the Blue Bayou is over priced and not very good and the American Cafe in the Casino should be avoided at all costs - its absolutely rubbish!! The best food to be had is on Weds/Thurs evenings in the lounge bar and is its stir fry - its great!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Thebusinesstravelman
Des-Ni, Manager at Peermont Walmont at Graceland, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2011

Dear Guest,

Further to your stay with us here at Graceland Hotel Casino and Country Club, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.
We consider all comments received to be an invaluable source of information on guest satisfaction. I assure you that all comments play an immeasurable part in our goal to achieve only the highest level of service.

I would like to apologize for any inconvenience or annoyance caused as a result of our shortcomings. Please be so kind to contact me directly at 017 620 1196 in order for me to give you feedback on your comments.

I very much hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to Graceland Hotel Casino and Country Club in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,

Des-Ni de Villiers
Sales & Marketing

Reviewed 9 August 2010

This resort used to be fantastic, the hotel, casino and all facilities were managed by the most incredible GM I have come across in all my travels.

He was so good and the resort well liked that the onlyproblem was you could never get a room at the hotel, Eventually weekened after weekend of trying I gave up looking for a room.

3yrs on and I decided to try my luck, and managed to secure two rooms and was very glad. However I should have known something was up when I got two rooms last minute. The hotel going from one of the better properties in SA is now without question the worst I have stayed in.

From broken carpets, elevators that were terrible, (in fact one of the two was down for half my stay) to food thats is no longer acceptable, and a casino that simply doesnt value its players.

Its very sad, a place so well run, could crash to such low levels in such a short space of time. All the managers who are in fact 'idiots with titles' walk around with their expert management guides trying to learn new skills, problem is head office has forgotten that great managers are not bought or taught, they are developed over many years. The service or lack thereof from 'Blessed' was far from his namesake, and the new GM didnt even make an appearance during a busy long weekend.

The biggest problem is that there is no management, and the staff are lost.

A gem no longer. Great pity.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank jhbboy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Secunda
Fortis Hotel Evander
#3 of 18 in Secunda
Riverside Country Estate
Riverside Country Estate
#3 of 5 in Secunda

Been to Peermont Walmont at Graceland? Share your experiences!