Peermont Walmont at Graceland
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Secunda
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Quite poorly maintained, rooms old, need refurbishing. Bathroom with many broken feaures: taps, water drainage, quality of the equipment, broken door stoppers. Internet connection - paid version - you need to log in every 5-10 min with 10-digit password. Meals ok, although they dont tell you selećtion of the drinks - you have to guess what they have and they will tell you... I think this hotel is missing a manager.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Konrad S

Reviewed 25 February 2013

If you have ever visited Secunda, you will know that it is as close to TS Elliot's "The Wasteland" as you can get this side of Dante's Inferno! There is really nowhere else great to stay, so Graceland stands out like a beacon of hope in this deloate, polluted landscape. Like all of Secunda/Evander/Kinross, there is an omnipresent stench from the nearby Sasol refinery, and at night the sky is red with the flaring stacks of that giant that is the raison d'etre of Secunda. But all of this is NOT the fault of the Graceland, which makes it all possible to endure.

The rooms are comfortable and clean, the hotel well appointed. I am not a gambler, but of course, the Casino is there. Neither am I a golfer, but the links look appealing and the clubhouse seems to function well. Despite the pictures, this is NOT a holiday destination, but if you need to visit Secunda or surrounds for business, or you want to break your journey, then Graceland is a good choice. It is not far from the N17 highway. I found it good value for under R1000 a night. If ever I go back that way, this is where I would stay.

So, I was happy overall except in the Buffalo Bill Bar. Before the music started there were patrons who were making a noise with their own radio in the bar. I asked the barman to ask them to quiet down. He refused and laughed. I asked for the manager and he was not called / did not come. The whole atmosphere in Buffalo Bills was a bit of a shambles, and the staff seemed more into their own joking and raucus laughter than in serving the patrons.

Ans another thing. People are allowed into the casino and Buffalo Bill's in overalls, straight from work in the local refinery. I would not expect this in a 4 star hotel. Obviously their money is more important than keeping up the standards!

Room Tip: Best be away from the casino (most rooms are) and try to face the golf course, not the Sasol Refiner...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank GwilymHowes
Reviewed 22 January 2013

We stayed at this hotel in summer, and had so much fun. The rooms are nice, and the pools were a great asset for the kids. The food was great at the breakfast buffet, and there were several kid friendly choices. Will stay here again

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank farkyfluffy
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Over the past year, my husband and I have spent about 4 months in Secunda, and we have stayed in three different hotels. In my opinion, Graceland is the best that Secunda has to offer.

Pros:
1) Fastest internet
2) Best fitness center
3) A great breakfast buffet
4) They change the bedding every day (even when I told them my sheets were clean) and the towels twice a day. I consider this a pro for the cleanliness, but I also find it a little wasteful.
5) The suites are in great condition. We lucked out and stayed in one for a week and the room was perfect.
6) The casino is cheap! You can play blackjack for less than $2 a hand. This makes it very easy to sit and play for hours at a time.

Cons:
1) Unless you talk to a manager at the front desk, nothing gets done
2) It is a little run down. Definitely not 4-star like they say. If I walk around my standard room without shoes, my feet/socks turn black.
3) The restaurants don't give a lot of variety. They are either bad or highly over priced. To get good food, you need to leave Graceland.
4) This is something small, but when housekeeping comes they take the shampoo and body wash out of the shower and put it on the sink. I don't use shampoo and body wash at a sink, I use it in the shower. It's very annoying to have to jump out of the shower to grab it from the sink.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Ruth K
Reviewed 19 April 2012

The photos look by impressive and on arrival the outside of the hotel and complex do look impressive. On closer look you realize the building is somewhat on the tired side. Hotel staff was very friendly on check in. The room is closer to 3 star than a 4 star. Our room on the 4 th floor looked to the side of Sasol. Not a good idea as the noise from the refinery kept on waking you up during the night. Our room also had some alarm noise going off intermittently during the whole night. It was so annoying and intrusive that we had not slept a wink through the night. We had phoned several times to report the noise but it never got sorted. The Cafe restaurant is the better one to frequent, stay away from the USA themed restaurant, the food is awful. Breakfast at the Cafe was great. Our feeling was we would never consider to stay at this hotel again. If you enjoy gambling I would suggest you can consider staying here.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from Sasol refinery
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jalder
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Stopped here for only 1 night...Checkin & check out was very friendly...The hotel is very impressive as you drive in, golf course and country club too. The groundstaff have the exterior fantastic.. I skipped breakfast so can't comment, bar staff in country club were very friendly, ate in a restaurant next to Casino which was at best food was average but expected as was quite cheap, Buffalo Bills was a nice bar even though it was empty......I would revisit..

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank lee23250Durham
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Third time I have stayed at Graceland. Staff are friendly and breakfast spread is quite good. The only problem with this resort is that it is very TIRED. The rooms are old and the casino is VERY old and dingy.

1 night single person bed and breakfast rate is R925! In my books that is very overpriced for the callibre of hotel, location and value that you receive here.

Would not recommend this golf course in winter - an absolute dog track, but I will say that the 18 hole rate of R160 is very fair.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank ZAExplorer
Des-Ni, Manager at Peermont Walmont at Graceland, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2011

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Tripadvisor in relation to your recent stay here at Graceland Hotel Casino and Country Club. I appreciate receiving all feedback, both positive and negative as this assists us in becoming better at what we do. On behalf of the hotel I would like to apologise for any upset and disappointment we may have caused during your stay with us.

It was with deep regret that I received your feedback on Tripadvisor, instead of been given the opportunity to meet with you during your stay in order for us to discuss your experience.

I was particularly interested to read your comment in relation to our “Tired Resort”. I would like to bring it under your attention that we have spent quite an amount of money last year in our bedrooms, furnishing it with new goose down pillows, duvets, replaced the televisions and also upgraded the bathrooms. The Hotel has a classic Southern American theme and therefore the themed furniture in the bedrooms.

We are currently in the process of replacing the carpets on the Casino floor at a considerable cost. We have also spent R11 Million on buying 58 new slot machines this year.

I can assure you that our pricing for the Bedrooms, Golf and all our other outlets are very competitive.

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies for any disappointment we may have caused you and thank you for your most helpful feedback. I look forward to welcoming back to Graceland Hotel Casino and Country Club in the near future where hopefully we can exceed your expectations.

Kind Regards

Hennie Steenkamp

Also consider these accommodations in or near Secunda
Fortis Hotel Evander
#3 of 5 in Secunda
d'Vine Guest House
d'Vine Guest House
#10 of 17 in Secunda

Been to Peermont Walmont at Graceland? Share your experiences!