“Fantastic experience”

Rhino Walking Safaris at Plains Camp
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We spent 2 nights at Plains Camp which was just beautiful. The 'tents' were amazing with beautiful furniture and well equipped. Our guide, Bernard, was superb and our walks were great. Getting up close and personal to the wildlife is a completely different experience and definitely to be recommended. We also did the sleepout one night. Lying literally under the stars listening to the jungle sounds is not to be missed. Combine this with a couple of nights of luxury at Rhino Post is a holiday never to be forgotten.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
IsibindiAfrica, Public Relations Manager at Rhino Walking Safaris at Plains Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Hello again!
So glad you went to Plains and did Sleep Outs and enjoyed it all.
Isibindi Africa Lodges

There are newer reviews for Rhino Walking Safaris at Plains Camp

Reviewed 4 August 2013

We enjoyed 2 nights at Rhino Plains, one "Sleepout" night, and 2 nights at Rhino Post camps. It was simply wonderful. Rhino Plains is organized around walking safaris, and we saw Rhinos on foot, wild dogs on foot, and a pride of lions on foot. Seeing animals on foot is a completely different experience than the usual Jeep/Land cruiser safari. Our walking guide Bernard proved he was a tracker without peer when we tracked a pride of lions on foot and came within about 20 yards them. They ran away (fortunately) when then became aware of us. We were told that seeing lions while walking is unusual. It was certainly amazing.

The "sleepout" was the middle day of the 5 days at the two camps. You walk from plains to the sleepout treehouse (2.7 miles according to my phone). The next day you walk back. The treehouse is an amazing structure with 4 separate decks for 4 separate tents. There is a fifth deck with a fire pit where you have your dinner (barbecued over an open fire). You watch the animals, listen to the animals, and commune with your fellow guests. Others hear lions at 2 AM while I was happily asleep.

Our next 2 nights were at post where our guide, Collin found us amazing game sitings (usually after saying "sorry for the boring drive..."). In one instance we delayed in seeing a pack of wilde dogs by a rhino in the road. When does that happen?

I should say that the standard of food, service maintenance, etc at both camps is very high. The camps are well organized, everything important works, and in our experience everything happens on time.

As a minor note, the internet access was intermittent, but we found that if you take your smart phone with you on game drives, it will send and receive messages reliably on both walking and driving safaris. We did our business correspondence this way quite reliably - it worked on every single game drive in one case with a 1 Meg attachment.

The only thing I would change is that if I had it to do over again, I would rearrange it so we had the Jeep game drives at Post followed by walking safaris at Plains followed by the sleepout, but I suspect that this is not always possible given the already complex logistics of the two camps.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Arizona_GTraveller
IsibindiAfrica, Public Relations Manager at Rhino Walking Safaris at Plains Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Hi Arizona_G Traveller
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our lodges. It is great to hear from someone who has experienced all 3 options Rhino Post, Plains Camp and Sleep Outs. We hope to welcome you to one of our lodges in the future.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

We spent one night in the Rhino safari lodges, one at the plain camps and one in the outsleep. We came from a place were it was possible to do off roads for getting more close to the animals, so at first we were disappointed because here it was not possible to do, but our ranger Colin made everything that was possible for let us enjoyng the game drives, and at the end he let us see many animals , also small ones like chameleons and small monkeys.
The staff in the three places was gracious, and during the walking safaris we learnd a lot about plants and trucking of animals.
My only disappointing was about food...I'm vegetarian, and in the Rhino safari lodge this was not considered a problem, but after that first dining they guess I didn't need a special meal instead of meat, but I i was supposed to satisfy myself without a maincourse...the last night spent in the sleepout, while everyone was enjoing the tipical braai, I could only eat cold mais puddle and tomatoes...I think it was not so hard to think about bringing a bit of cheese or sliced vegetables to put for me on the braai....

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Karmilla
IsibindiAfrica, Public Relations Manager at Rhino Walking Safaris at Plains Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Dear Karmilla
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I will be investigating the issue with catering for vegetarians with our Head Chef. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
ISIBINDI AFRICA LODGES

Reviewed 21 June 2013

I went with my step-mother for a 4-day/3-night trip. We didn't have a lot of time but our game driver made sure we had the best experience possible by squeezing in a drive the morning we left. We saw every animal and more with the exception of the rhino. The game drives (twice a day) culminated into the most unique and treasured experience of my life. Our game driver was absolutely dedicated to making sure we had the best chance of seeing many many incredible animal species and he was as excited as we were. The staff are all so incredibly nice, we felt like family. The food was absolutely excellent, I enjoyed every meal and each was unique and decadent. My only complaint was the salty tap water but they provided bottled water for us and other beverages. We had a lot of sightings right in the river bed and on the paths surrounding the camp. I recommend this establishment to anyone! :)

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Over The Top Luxury in 'The Kruger" GO Food, Service meet very interesting guests and staff. Darling monkeys, and babboons, worthogs . Giraffe outside our room munching away. Afternoon teatime my favorite. Well apointed room, outdoor shower.

Room Tip: Any animals do not discriminate rooms, show up any where!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2013

My two daughters (15/16) and I spent five nights with Rhino Walking Safaris in February. We spent one night at Rhino Post then three at Plains Camp followed by one more night back at Rhino Post. I cannot say enough about how wonderful our stay was!
The Facilities were top-notch with beautiful cabins and fixed tents all in pristine condition. The common areas were meticulously maintained and offered incredible views of either the river bed at Rhino Post or a wonderful open plain at Plains Camp. All dinners were served promptly and formally, but were incredibly comfortable with open and fun conversation persisting between all guests and the senior staff.
The game drives and vehicles were in great condition and the guides very knowledgeable about the animals, the geology and the history of the park. They knew where and when to be at the right places and as such we saw the "Big Five" numerous times and so much more! The Sundowner stop for quick refreshments every evening was my favorite.
WIth Mark as our guide for the Walking Tours, Rhino Walking Safaris brings it all full circle. His wealth of knowledge and information about the plants, insects, and the bushman way of life helped put the entire experience in great perspective for myself and my girls. Those walks helped fill in the voids that the driving tours cannot focus on.
The Staff was wonderful. Our guides (Kim, Joey, and Mark) went out of their way to make our experience a once in a lifetime. They were all incredible. The remainder of the staff was also top-notch. Friendly and nice, they operated on a perfect schedule, remembered our names and met our every need. They just do it right!
It was an amazing experience and made all the more so by the wonderful people, facilities and atmosphere that is Rhino Post. Thank you for a wonderful visit to Africa!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bailss_Travels
Reviewed 31 January 2013

We were two couples, travelling as a group (one 30s/40s, the other 50s).

Our booking had us staying at Rhino Post for 2 nights, Plains Camp for one night, Sleep Out for one night, then one night back at Rhino Post. This was a luxury, really, and was driven by the rest of our itinerary. My strong recommendation though, is that you MUST include Plains Camp and the Sleep Out in your trip, if you possibly can - they were such a highlight.

The accommodation and meals at Rhino Post were superb. The game drives were well done, and we got to visit interesting parts of Kruger after all of the day-trippers had left, which made it feel even more special. Some of the places we had our sun-downers at will live in my memory forever.

At Plains Camp, you get the feeling that you living in the middle of the bush. That's because you are. You can believe the photos - it really is that good. I got a special kick out of lying on a comfortable sofa with a beer & a book, watching the Springboks near the watering hole. Sublime.

Mark was our guide, and his passion for the natural world really shines through. He informs, without even trying. Essentially, he runs Plains Camp, and the staff, which could be tricky if he didn't have the perfect personality to carry it all off with aplomb. Our walking were a highlight - of our lives, not just our holiday.

The night we spent at the Sleep Out was also magical. Eating around a camp-fire, and listening to the bush sounds, watching the stars, and knowing that the nearest human being is quite some way away.

In summary, we just had a fantastic time, and were looked after so well by all the staff throughout.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Plains Camp and the Sleep Out are not to be missed!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alan C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skukuza
Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate
Lion Sands - Tinga Lodge
Lion Sands - Tinga Lodge
#2 of 13 in Kruger National Park
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Res...
#1 of 1 in Inyati Private Game Reserve
#55 of 175 in Kruger National Park
Umkumbe Safari Lodge
Umkumbe Safari Lodge
#1 of 1 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve

Been to Rhino Walking Safaris at Plains Camp? Share your experiences!