“Loved this lodge!”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Skukuza
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights so we can take full advantage of Kruger National Park- where its less than a 3 minute drive to the gates. My boyfriend, brother and I absolutely loved Protea Kruger and this was probably our favorite hotel during our South Africa trip. The entire lodge is beautiful, especially the reception area with the central sitting area and the high ceilings. The rooms are clean, luxurious, and spacious with modern appliances and a mix of African and modern decor. Great food where they offered a variety of the African game meats such as kudu and wildebeest. Staff here is also very friendly.

My only suggestion for improvement is that they need to add a self-serve egg dish along with the breakfast buffet. The only place you can get eggs is their egg station where you can order, but when there's a lot of people (especially when you're with a tour group) there ends up being a huge line.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
PH-KrugerGate, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear GUEST

Thank you for your fantastic comments on TripAdvisor. Our newly refurbished rooms offer great comfort in such tranquil surroundings. Being located in the bush, we try to blend in with nature in all areas. I am thrilled that you enjoyed the wide variety of dishes available at the outdoor buffet. I will congratulate the chef and TEAM as well as the entire STAFF regarding their friendly service.

Your comment regarding the egg station is something that I will discuss with the TEAM to ensure that GUESTS are not at all frustrated.

Thank you for choosing Protea Hotel Kruger Gate as your favourite Hotel during your trip, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

We had a great 3 night stay recently for our anniversary weekend.

The hotel is really terrific, the setting beautiful and the location right at the gate into Kruger National Park could not be better or more convenient. The rooms are well furnished and very comfortable, especially the large kingsize bed. The breakfast is super with enough variety for most tastes. The evening buffet in the dining room was okay, we felt the choices could have been a bit better. We thoroughly enjoyed the evening meals in the boma, the atmosphere is fantastic. We found all the staff very friendly and helpful and the restaurant staff particularly so. All in all a great stay and would highly recommend the hotel.

The only negative for us was on our second morning (22nd November) when heading out for the day in the Park, I had forgotten my purse in the safe and we needed my SanParks WildCard for entry into the park. My husband went back in and fetched my purse, locked up and we left. On returning to the room much later in the afternoon at around 5;30pm, we found the safe had been opened and the safe door left standing open, after which we were not able to reset or lock the safe again for the rest of our stay which forced us to take with all our valuables each day after that. Fortunately nothing was taken, inside was my bag (minus my purse thankfully), my netbook laptop & my husbands firearm. So I can only presume that "they" were after cash!!

There is a warning with the key card to safe guard your valuables but we honestly did not expect this warning to include the safe as we utilise the in room safe wherever we travel worldwide and have never had a problem until this incident!!

**SO PLEASE BE WARNED** take the warning from the management seriously

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
PH-KrugerGate, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear GUEST
Thank you for your comments on the TripAdvisor website after your resent stay with us at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate. We are so lucky to be located in such a beautiful part of the world and to have the Kruger National Park as our back yard. You are right, whether dinning under the stars or relaxing in our comfortable rooms,, GUESTS can get a glimpse of the wildlife in their natural habitat.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience you experienced. Your feedback regarding the safe in the rooms by no means reflects the high standard of quality and service that Protea Hotel Kruger Gate is usually proud to offer. In future please report breached of security immediately, the safe can be interrogated and we will be able to see who opened it. Your feedback is imperative for us to ensure that our GUESTS’ expectations are being met and exceeded. Without your comments, we would never know when we are doing right, but more importantly, when we are doing wrong! Thank you for assisting us to strive for service excellence.

Your interest and concern are much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotels again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

What I liked:
- very nice bathroom and furnishings
- the overall lodge and property is impressive looking
- excellent buffet - loved the BBQ
- seemed to be good at keeping away mosquitos around the outdoor BBQ area - didn't have any problems
- incredible service at breakfast - staff go out of their way to please and be friendly
- quick response on requests made at front desk
- good suggestion form

What I think needs improvement:
- miscommunication from front desk on timing and type of game drive - the person responsible for organizing these safaris for the hotel with the Park Rangers was completely unresponsive and after spending an hour arguing ..we were forced to call our tour provider to have them fix the issues. This hotel needs to think about client experience - we booked this trip more than a year ago and have been waiting a long time for this safari. This time miss-up made me miss my spa appointment.
- I noticed small green bugs that looked like spiders on the bed's comforters. When, I continued to investigate - I saw blond hair stuck underneath the pillow. These linens don't seem to be washed as well as they should be ... I did not feel comfortable sleeping in this bed.
- The sofa in the room could also use a cleaning
- I wasn't big on staying on the ground level and I found the corridors a bit dark. If I were on my own ... I would have asked to be moved.
- I think it would have been nice to provide a mosquito net - at least this is what they had in the hotels in Kenya that I stayed at..
- the bathroom sink had a big crack in it.
- I called reception and the phone rang at least 20 times. I left the room and walked to reception thinking I might have the wrong number. When, I asked about this ... they said - oh I guess we missed the call and didn't apologize. Luckily, I was just asking for an ironing board and it wasn't an actually emergency

Tip: Book your own safari through a private company and don't depend on the hotel. While, the Park Rangers have excellent knowledge and probably the best know-how on where to find the big five - the hotel will put you on a big truck that seats 20 people ... even though they could easily arrange for two smaller vans of 10 people. While, these are all open air, the smaller vehicle is lower and closer to the animals - which means better photos.

Room Tip: As for a room on the same level as reception or one of their cottages
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear GUEST.

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the TripAdvisor website after your recent stay with us at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate. Your feedback is highly valued and will be used constructively to maintain and improve our standards of service and facilities. Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience that you experienced during your stay. Your feedback about the miscommunication from the front desk, game drive and the cleanliness of the room certainly does not reflect the high standard of service and quality that Protea Hotel Kruger Gate is usually proud to offer. I confirm therefore that your comments have been followed up and remedial action has been taken to ensure that our GUESTS are not inconvenienced in this way again.

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that our GUESTS’ expectations are being met and exceeded. Without your comments, we would never know when we are doing right, but more importantly, when we are doing wrong! Thank you for assisting us to strive for service excellence.

Best regards,

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Rooms great big beds loved it close to reception so not far to go to meet up with tour rep and group for 4.45am game drive. not far from kruger gate seconds away. Food very good outside in the boma which was great everything about hotel was brilliant no complaints at all loved it.
Great veiwing area and pool. Monkeys come to visit. Could not fault the Hotel. Staff were great and helpful.

Room Tip: room near reception close to all amenities
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kyanalbi
PH-KrugerGate, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear GUEST

What positive feedback. Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor.

Being located within meters of Paul Kruger is very convenient for GUEST, whether doing a self-drive or going on scheduled safaris, we have recently finished renovations and I am happy to hear that the new style of the public areas and rooms were to your liking. I really hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the bushveld to show you true Protea hospitality.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Loved this hotel. Rooms were comfy. Food was good. Staff was very nice. However the head chef looked like he needed a hug. He wasn't very nice to his staff. Right outside Krugar gate. Great viewing area. Very pleased we chose this hotel as there are many pick from.

If using a gps ask for coordinates to hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear GUEST

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your feedback will certainly assist us with our search for excellence.

We are very lucky to have Kruger National Park as our backyard. I am pleased that our location was of benefit to you during your stay.I am extremely sorry that you were disappointed in the Chef’s behaviour in front of GUESTS. I can assure you that these are not the standards we are usually proud to offer and additional emphasis will be put into all areas to prevent this from reoccurring

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We were part of a tour group. This hotel is just outside the Kruger National Park and very close to the Paul Kruger gate as the name suggests. The decor, starting from the reception gives the jungle lodge look and the rooms are well designed and neatlly furnished. I particularly liked the furnishings and there is a well appointed bathroom. The bedlinen were clean and crisp and the beds were very comfortable after a days safari in the park. Coffee/ tea maker available in the room.
The breakfast was a huge affair with a big spread., even the packed breakfast given to us for the morning safari was quite substantial. We had dinner in the open under a star lit sky and it was just fantastic.
This is a place, where one can come after spending the whole day in the park and relax. We spent two nights there and wished we could spend more time there. Altogether, a place that is worth the money. Highly recommended

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
PH-KrugerGate, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear GUEST
Thank you for taking the time to comment on the Tripadvisor website, and to write down your additional positive feedback after your recent stay with us at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate. A holiday in the bushveld is always special. Being surrounded by the wildlife and the flora does wonders for the stress levels. Protea Hotel Kruger Gate is designed to blend in with the natural surroundings and it seems as if you got the rest and relaxation you were looking for.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Stayed here for three nights as part of a tour and couldn't fault the hotel. The atmosphere is great and at night we ate outside under the stars. The food was excellent, lots of choice and delicious too. The staff were pleasant and helpful. There is plenty of wildlife around, monkeys and bushbuck in the grounds and from the look out we saw elephants and lions. On our first night I opened the curtains in the room to see three zebra outside eating the grass

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Avril T

Dear GUEST

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Tripadvisor and the positive feedback after your stay with us at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate.
We are so lucky to be located in such a beautiful part of the world and to have the Kruger National Park as our back yard. You are right, whether strolling through the walkways or relaxing on the viewing decks, GUESTS can get a glimpse of the wildlife in their natural habitat.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skukuza
Lion Sands - Tinga Lodge
Londolozi Private Game Reserve
Londolozi Private Game Reserve
#3 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Res...
#1 of 1 in Inyati Private Game Reserve

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate? Share your experiences!